Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

Roe v Wade will NOT be overturned.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 PM

720 posts, read 500,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
LOL, so the unborn child has to be sacrificed if it is conceived thru rape?

I can understand when its incest, as that can cause serious problems, but rape...the child produced out of a rape had no say in this, and should not be killed because of it, there are plenty of people who would adopt and give the child a chance.

Hang on, I'm not saying a child bore from rape should be killed because of it.

I'm saying most people would leave the decision up to the mother because her choice to conceive was basically taken away from her by her rapist. For most people, expecting women to carry their rapist's child is a bridge too far.

And the truth is, if we limited abortion to rape, incest, and health of the mother, it would barely qualify for national debate. People would still have their qualms one way or the other, but on the whole abortions would be fairly small.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
My, my look at all the control freaks counting their eggs.

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Probably most Bible Belt states and a few in the Midwest. The northeast and west coast will keep it legal. I’m expecting Oklahoma to attempt to ban it (and possibly gay marriage as well) this next legislative session in hopes that it can be the state to send a case to SCOTUS.

This is the end game for the Christian Right. I’ll be very surprised if we still have legal abortion and same-sex marriage in all 50 states by 2024. I think the US will likely be the second country in the world to recognize same-sex marriage and then go back. Abortion will definitely be going away. Praise Be.
I think there will be enough women and their male supporters to overthrow any successful move to ban abortion in Oklahoma. The petitioning process in that state makes it fairly easy to do as long as enough people get behind it. But the hard part is finding enough people.

Boycotts will be called against states that ban same sex marriage. I doubt the business lobby in states want to take a chance on that.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-07-2018 at 12:34 PM..

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If Roe vs. Wade is overturned, good luck ever getting an abortion in a southern state! That area isn't called the Bible Belt for nothing.

I have no idea what's going to happen in 2020. It's my greatest hope that the young adults will be out in force to vote for the rights that older white Americans seem determined to destroy with glee.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Yes, the south is pretty much pro life but when there is a good reason for an abortion they are and will continue to be available. Will they be available just cause someone was too damn lazy to use birth control and too free with their body, maybe not, but there are reasons for abortion and even those of us living in the south know this.

As for us old people, let me tell you I have 3 grand daughters. and everyone of them are pro life and not for religious reasons necessary. They just do not not believe in abortion as birth control. And one of those 3 has had an abortion. Why, because her baby was so badly deformed she and her husband did not believe it was fair to her other children or the unborn baby to continue the pregnancy. She lives in the south, as do we all. We totally supported her and her husband's decision. So I think this goes to show, one can be pro life and still see reasons for ending a pregnancy.

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You're so wrong. No southern state will totally ban abortion. This is due to the fact that Mississippi had its chance to ban all abortion by voting in favor of the personhood amendment. It got rejected by a large margin. Ireland ending its ban on abortion also figures in. Also figuring in is the Republican candidate for governor who wanted to end abortion in Oklahoma only placed 4th in the primary. People wanting to end abortion are a small but loud minority.
I don't know how Mississippi will deal with it. As it is now, obstructionists have closed all but 1 clinic. In the whole state, where abortion is "legal" it actually is not available.

If I had to guess, I think nothing will change. Popular vote will continue to make abortion legal, but state government policy will make it unavailable.

There may be some states where the old doctors-office abortion is made available, but I don't know which ones.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I, nor any one else knows. It is somewhat a hyperbolized fear in my opinion. Though, if it were to happen that a case came before the Supreme Court and the ruling went 5-4, leading to opening states deciding. It would be a perfect federalist's decision, with the state's taking their rightful roles in a federalist system of government.

Not any different then California, for instance attempting to prove that it is a state's right to control or not its laws or lack of laws on immigration. I certainly do not agree with the stance, but I am not fearful. Allowed to operate fully and properly, the Constitutional Republic of The United States will work.
Depends on what you mean by the word "work".

Certainly some people thought state's rights views on slavery worked fine for them.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 PM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The holy grail of liberals - abortion (and btw I am pro choice). I don't believe Roe v Wade will ever be overturned. Judge Kavanaugh even alluded to this during the hearing. The case has precedent upon precedent and it would take a seriously grounded legal argument for it to even come before the Supremes.
I'm pro choice as well, even though I do wish women would seek other alternatives first before coming to this conclusion. With that said, I do have a problem with tax payer money being used to fund Planned Parenthood, because I feel I shouldn't have to support someone else's mistakes. It's not my fault that women decided to screw the first guy they meet instead of being more choosy with their decisions. Now, I support 100% in rape cases, but that is an entirely different matter. It's part of the due process. If you are raped, you report it, and then you undergo state funded treatment which includes elective abortion if you decide to not want to have this baby, and treatment for STD's. But this is covered under a different set of taxes.

Anyways, I do wish the left will stop with the fear mongering. It's getting old. People are not falling for their false accusations anymore.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,227,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
Hang on, I'm not saying a child bore from rape should be killed because of it.

I'm saying most people would leave the decision up to the mother because her choice to conceive was basically taken away from her by her rapist. For most people, expecting women to carry their rapist's child is a bridge too far.

And the truth is, if we limited abortion to rape, incest, and health of the mother, it would barely qualify for national debate. People would still have their qualms one way or the other, but on the whole abortions would be fairly small.
This. Is the only reasonable answer.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies