Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
when the biggest concern of many is fear of losing the choice to kill your unborn children, you know the country's in trouble.

Sad but true. I have to hope that the majority in most states do not approve of it.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
States, and hold on to your hat, counties, and even cities or towns can already ban the use of alcohol. Have you seriously never heard of dry counties? Kentucky used to be full of them. I lived in one. The 21st Amendment does not require the sell or distribution of alcohol nationally, it merely ended the constitutional national prohibition of alcohol.

States have long been able to control certain activities, and truthfully, that is where the abortion issue belongs.

I am indeed aware of dry counties, here in Texas. I was speaking of a state-wide prohibition, in which the question of whether to allow alcohol sales is taken out of the hands of the local towns and counties. It is a distinction.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:22 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You have a "stake" in it. Directly because of your wife, girlfriend, sister and female friends. And, men who will be "forced" to have children they may not want or be able to care for--emotionally or financially. We all do.
Again, R vs W is not going anywhere, and if people want to kill their children, that is on their head. It is none of my business, BUT your "logic" is ridiculous here. Nobody is being "forced" to have children even if R vs W were overturned. How about keeping your pants up? Remember when mama taught you that not touching hot stoves would result in not getting burned?

Your logic is the same as this: a man who lost a game of Russian roulette was "forced" to blow his brains out.

(little voice from the back corner: Pssst, hey buddy... pssst... how about if you DON'T spin the cylinder with one chamber out of six loaded with a live cartridge, DON'T put the muzzle against your head, and DON'T pull the trigger???)

Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Just an honest question from a person who has no stake in this fight (male).

How many states will make abortion totally or at least very hard to get once Roe vs. Wade gets overturned? Will it be instant, or gradual? (laws having to be passed and so forth.) My guess this will take place at the end of the current term, which is June of next year - seven months away.

I don't believe this talk of "stare decisis" and a "gradual" transformation of the Supreme Court. With five solid conservatives in there, it's full speed ahead to accomplish what the conservatives have struggled to do for decades - reverse the fateful Roe vs Wade decision of 1973. Cases are already in the pipeline to accomplish this objective.

Another question - assuming that I'm right and this indeed happens, how will this affect the 2020 elections? Great joy and celebration for the Republicans, as they roll on to historic victories in all three branches of government? Or will the tide turn and the Blue Wave engulfs all? (except for the S.C., of course!)
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Just an honest question from a person who has no stake in this fight (male).

How many states will make abortion totally or at least very hard to get once Roe vs. Wade gets overturned? Will it be instant, or gradual? (laws having to be passed and so forth.) My guess this will take place at the end of the current term, which is June of next year - seven months away.

I don't believe this talk of "stare decisis" and a "gradual" transformation of the Supreme Court. With five solid conservatives in there, it's full speed ahead to accomplish what the conservatives have struggled to do for decades - reverse the fateful Roe vs Wade decision of 1973. Cases are already in the pipeline to accomplish this objective.

Another question - assuming that I'm right and this indeed happens, how will this affect the 2020 elections? Great joy and celebration for the Republicans, as they roll on to historic victories in all three branches of government? Or will the tide turn and the Blue Wave engulfs all? (except for the S.C., of course!)
So I don't think R v W will be 'overturned". I think it will be basically nullified. Individual states continue to chip away at it and the SCOTUS can assist them in this effort.

Red states will have vastly more unwanted children to care for.

IF the SCOTUS tries to take rights AWAY from people? I predict civil unrest the likes of which has not been seen in this country for many decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's all calm down> Roe versus Wade will, most likely not be overturned. If it is I have no idea how many states will end the policy. I don't many will let it stop the procedure.
Well, the far right leaning SCOTUS won't be stupid enough to use the word 'overturned'. That we can count on. Will they be able to essentially nullify RvW? Yes. They will. And the word 'overturned' will never appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
All of the southern and midwest states will. The result will be those states will have thousands of unwanted babies thrust onto their public payroll and the red states will have to suck off the teet of the blue states even more than they do now.
That's how I see it.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:28 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,925 times
None.

It won't be overturned.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I can see the tv ads now.. come fly to California! Sun, illegals and state sponsored abortions!
This is such a non issue. At the most it becomes a states issue and you will see rich lefties flying the poor abortion wanters for free to states that allow abortions. Heck i bet they make a “abortion plane” and do them soon as they fly into California.
Mostly GOP politicians who publicly claim they are against abortions to get the pro-life vote but privately persuade mistresses to get abortions.

Quote:
Pennsylvania Rep. Tim Murphy has resigned after a report surfaced earlier this week that he had asked an extramarital lover to end her pregnancy
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/anti...ry?id=50274843

Old 10-07-2018, 08:33 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Mostly GOP politicians who publicly claim they are against abortions to get the pro-life vote but privately persuade mistresses to get abortions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/anti...ry?id=50274843
You must hold the Dems in high regard to believe that they would never no never privately "persuade" their mistresses to get an abortion. Surely there are some Democrat mistresses who wouldn't choose to do so if left to their own choice.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
None.

It won't be overturned.

No whare in the US Constitution, does it authorize the Federal government be involved, and thus a 10th amendment issue.

Roe v. Wade, just determined the US government couldn't make it illegal.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
For God's sake, it's not getting overturned. Who fed you liberals this garbage?
Liberal politicians whipping up their base. We know the left doesn't ever require actual proof or evidence to make a claim and stir up a lynch mob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies