Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:44 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Anyone who truly thinks RvW is going away is a lunatic and should seek counseling and heavy meds. You should also take a good hard look in the mirror and admit to yourself that you are a gullible pawn, played by politicians and activists.
Republicans have spent the past 40 years making the overturn of Roe v Wade their defining issue. It has been the litmus test for every election local, state, and national. Do you really think people are insane for believing that Republicans will actually do what they have spent the past 40 years trying to do?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Republicans have spent the past 40 years making the overturn of Roe v Wade their defining issue. It has been the litmus test for every election local, state, and national. Do you really think people are insane for believing that Republicans will actually do what they have spent the past 40 years trying to do?
I mean Trump flat out said in a presidential debate - that his goal was to promote pro-life judges so that RvW would be overturned. He didn't make any bones about it. No hiding; no pretense, etc.

And as I recall, in an earlier 'town hall' Trump also said that once abortion was illegal; women should be punished if she had one.

That's directly out of POTUS's ugly mouth.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Your post is disgusting.
How so?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 AM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Quote:
I agree 1000%.

Roe vs Wade WILL be overturned - it's just a matter of time, and style. Maybe they'll take it apart in chunks, to soften the blow. And then they'll move on to other things, like ending Obamacare, taking away worker's rights, etc.

I do wonder when Democrats do get the three branches of government back - will they play hardball, fueled by the rage of women's rights activists around the country? Maybe they'll entertain the idea of packing the court - 11, 13, 15 seats, anyone?

Or better yet, just give everyone the rights they've should have had all along, and toss the S.C. into the trash bin of history.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Which state or local government has a case pending before the SCOTUS where they challenge Roe on a 9th/10th Amendment basis? Until that happens, the SCOTUS has no reason to go anywhere near Roe v Wade.

People think Kavanaugh will just show up on day 1 and be like, yeah, let's scrap that, and 4 other justices will just agree and that's that. SCOTUS doesn'tr work like that. First, a case relevant and also opposed to the precedent Roe establishes must come before the court, they must agree that the court has standing to hear the case and then the case itself must provide overwhelming CONSTITUTIONAL reason/basis to rule in opposition to a decision that has already survived 3 challenges.

It's wildly unfounded fear, this whole freaking out about Roe v Wade thing.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
My husband's grandmother shared her horrendous experience with me of having a back alley abortion around 1930. It was done without anesthesia and dangerous beyond words. It was the height of the great depression, and they had four children and no income. They were living with his parents in a cramped house. They felt that they had no choice, one more mouth to feed and a medical bill was just out of reach. Many women died having to make that horrendous choice. I think back to modern times when my friend was pregnant and diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Her choice was to try and save a pregnancy that may not be viable or risk it, carry to term, and both of them not make it. She had a young son and a husband at the time that didn't want to lose her. That's also a horrendous choice to have to make, only she had a safe option. My husband's grandmother did not.

Yes Judge Kavanaugh said on record that Roe v Wade was established law. Abortion will never go away and I know it's a wet dream of the myopic, one size must fit all obsolete ideology. It's also an over reach mentality fitting of Isis. Gloat all you want about Kavanaugh, but society changes with each generation, and that one size mentality is fading away. It's your last hoorah. Good for you. Better yet, put your money where your mouth is and pass a law that all who are opposed to abortion must take two or three of these unwanted children of all colors. Go ahead and raise them. What, you don't like this law? Well young women don't want you dictating what to do with their bodies either.
Abortion is here to stay, like it or not. It may become more difficult to obtain one, but it will never stop. It didn't stop in the 20's 30's 40's....etc. I'm sure there's some rectum out there wishing that my husband's grandmother would have died making that choice, but how do you justify making my friend's life less important than a bunch of cells that are not yet a human being?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:48 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My husband's grandmother shared her horrendous experience with me of having a back alley abortion around 1930. It was done without anesthesia and dangerous beyond words. It was the height of the great depression, and they had four children and no income. They were living with his parents in a cramped house. They felt that they had no choice, one more mouth to feed and a medical bill was just out of reach. Many women died having to make that horrendous choice. I think back to modern times when my friend was pregnant and diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Her choice was to try and save a pregnancy that may not be viable or risk it, carry to term, and both of them not make it. She had a young son and a husband at the time that didn't want to lose her. That's also a horrendous choice to have to make, only she had a safe option. My husband's grandmother did not.

Yes Judge Kavanaugh said on record that Roe v Wade was established law. Abortion will never go away and I know it's a wet dream of the myopic, one size must fit all obsolete ideology. It's also an over reach mentality fitting of Isis. Gloat all you want about Kavanaugh, but society changes with each generation, and that one size mentality is fading away. It's your last hoorah. Good for you. Better yet, put your money where your mouth is and pass a law that all who are opposed to abortion must take two or three of these unwanted children of all colors. Go ahead and raise them. What, you don't like this law? Well young women don't want you dictating what to do with their bodies either.
Abortion is here to stay, like it or not. It may become more difficult to obtain one, but it will never stop. It didn't stop in the 20's 30's 40's....etc. I'm sure there's some rectum out there wishing that my husband's grandmother would have died making that choice, but how do you justify making my friend's life less important than a bunch of cells that are not yet a human being?
Nice appeal to sympathy/emotion, but it has nothing to do with a) whether the SCOTUS would overturn Roe v Wade or not, or b) how many states would make abortion illegal (and to what degree) even if Roe was overturned.

And fyi, people in 1930 died from all manner of medical malpractice, not just women having illegal abortions. It was 1930. Chloroform was a common anesthesia, and even a slight error in dose killed the patient; sulfa drugs were all the rage for a ton of ailments, but whoops, sulfa drugs caused kidney failure;doctors were using diethylene glycol, a poison, to treat things. Point is, 21st century medicine is wildly different than 1930, so if abortion providers went underground, they wouldn't also get in a time machine and revert to 1930s medical tech. It would still be 2018. So the "back alley" thing would be just as safe and efficient as current legal abortion...and that's assuming your hyperbolic fears of the new Medieval States of America even came true.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:50 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Again, R vs W is not going anywhere, and if people want to kill their children, that is on their head. It is none of my business, BUT your "logic" is ridiculous here. Nobody is being "forced" to have children even if R vs W were overturned. How about keeping your pants up? Remember when mama taught you that not touching hot stoves would result in not getting burned?

Your logic is the same as this: a man who lost a game of Russian roulette was "forced" to blow his brains out.

(little voice from the back corner: Pssst, hey buddy... pssst... how about if you DON'T spin the cylinder with one chamber out of six loaded with a live cartridge, DON'T put the muzzle against your head, and DON'T pull the trigger???)
Why dont you address the dozens on conservatives on this very thread arguing for the repeal of RvW. Half of you guys are salivating at the prospect while the other half are saying how no one wants that.
To be clear, I doubt you will see a repeal for the same reason you wont see immigration reform, you would be legislating your way out of a job, neither side wants to resolve wedge issues.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:58 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,006,134 times
Quote:
Right, thats why an ACA scenario is more likely what you would see, RvW would be untouched but a sympathetic SCOTUS is more likely to uphold state laws that make abortion virtually impossible.
I dont see this a bad development, too many apathetic people in red states, let red states be what they want to be, give it time to the people of those states to feel it maybe they will care and vote or not, I work remotely I can move anywhere.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:03 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
What I find ironic is that the Dems are pro choice and 600,000- 800,000 abortions are performed each year.

Gun violence, both robbery, accidents and suicides claims around 100,000 people a year.

The Dems are screaming that Roe V Wade will be overturned ( I highly doubt it) but if Hillary had won the election and was now appointing left leaning anti gun judges then I have no doubt that the Second Amendment would be on the chopping block.

Rather ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies