Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times

Advertisements

22 states

https://khn.org/news/if-high-court-r...-ban-abortion/

Old 10-07-2018, 07:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather doubt that the Court would 'overturn' Roe v. Wade, since the decision was based on the right to privacy, and hundreds of subsequent lower court decisions cited Roe, regarding the right to privacy, in many areas other than abortion rights.

More than likely, the Court would uphold laws making the obtaining of abortion more restrictive, such as the requirement that the physician performing the abortion have hospital privileges within 20 miles of the clinic. Such can be done without disturbing the underlying rational of the decision.

I believe that a number of states (mainly southern) already have laws in place that would outlaw abortion, at any stage and for any reason, that would become effective with the Court overruling Roe.

Indeed, I once read that one or two states have such 'prospective' laws banning the use of alcohol within its borders, should the 21st Constitutional Amendment (that overruled the 18th Prohibition amendment) be itself overturned (I believe said prospective laws were passed soon after the 21st Amendment passed, many years ago; whether the legislatures of said states still feel that way, is unknown).
States, and hold on to your hat, counties, and even cities or towns can already ban the use of alcohol. Have you seriously never heard of dry counties? Kentucky used to be full of them. I lived in one. The 21st Amendment does not require the sell or distribution of alcohol nationally, it merely ended the constitutional national prohibition of alcohol.

States have long been able to control certain activities, and truthfully, that is where the abortion issue belongs.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
I can see the tv ads now.. come fly to California! Sun, illegals and state sponsored abortions!
This is such a non issue. At the most it becomes a states issue and you will see rich lefties flying the poor abortion wanters for free to states that allow abortions. Heck i bet they make a “abortion plane” and do them soon as they fly into California.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:59 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
It may not be overturned but for the states chomping at the bit with new rules it will in effect be overturned. For example the heartbeat bill in some states. Well with technology you can hear the heartbeat very soon.

This will impact poor people especially those living in conservative states. However the rich will have the money to travel to another state to have the procedure done. I’m not too naive to think those in the Bible Belt don’t have unplanned pregnancies that they carry to term. Young adults are careless, and that will never change.

There's always GoFundMe.

I hope it is overturned and that there are enough red states to bring about the extinction of abortion. The nail in the coffin of killing of babies is a good thing.

There is no shame in wanting it overturned and if abortion "rights" is overturned to the states, then we will have conservatives winning most of them. Thank God for southern states and red states.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
It may not be overturned but for the states chomping at the bit with new rules it will in effect be overturned. For example the heartbeat bill in some states. Well with technology you can hear the heartbeat very soon.

This will impact poor people especially those living in conservative states. However the rich will have the money to travel to another state to have the procedure done. I’m not too naive to think those in the Bible Belt don’t have unplanned pregnancies that they carry to term. Young adults are careless, and that will never change.
Think in terms of opportunity. You can make a nonprofit that helps people in those states travel to other states to get an abortion.

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I love this sky is falling nonsense. Why don't you just go ahead and ask how many states will become slave states when the thirteenth amendment is "overturned"? How many speakeasies will you have in your town when prohibition returns. How many women will move to Argentina when their right to vote is taken away? How many people will die when Kavanaugh sends out the death squads?

Can you come up with any more nonsense?

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Lmao that's like saying they're going make slavery legal again.

Just more Liberal fearmongering.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:05 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You have a "stake" in it. Directly because of your wife, girlfriend, sister and female friends. And, men who will be "forced" to have children they may not want or be able to care for--emotionally or financially. We all do.
They can move full speed ahead. They will get full speed opposition, too. I'm guessing, too, an "underground" system for abortions. Many health care professionals would help so "back alley" abortions wouldn't occur and women who could die from infection, hemorrhage, etc.
What does this have to do with the thread topic of How many states will make abortion illegal when Roe vs Wade is overturned?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:06 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If Roe vs. Wade is overturned, good luck ever getting an abortion in a southern state! That area isn't called the Bible Belt for nothing.

I have no idea what's going to happen in 2020. It's my greatest hope that the young adults will be out in force to vote for the rights that older white Americans seem determined to destroy with glee.
It's those older white Americans who gave those rights in the first place.

In 1973 the SCOTUS was mostly white and was 6 to 3 Republican nominated. Just an FYI, this was the term when Roe v. Wade was decided.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:08 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
when the biggest concern of many is fear of losing the choice to kill your unborn children, you know the country's in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies