Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:40 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Look again. They have stayed in Mexico, not set foot in the US or stormed the wall or the US POE.

YET! Just wait till all the other caravans reach our border then we will see. There is strength in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 03:40 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I suggest you stop calling opposition to illegal aliens and bogus asylum seekers as being anti-immigration.
Either way the blood lust of some are still just as appalling.

You can be anti- either option, and it's a reasonable stance, certainly everyone has a right to what they stand for, but really, wishing for violence is disgusting.

It shows more about them, and who they are as a person, then any political affiliation.

You can be anti-immigration, and still have compassion for what these people have been through, and what their lives were like from where they fled.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-25-2018, 03:42 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
YET! Just wait till all the other caravans reach our border then we will see. There is strength in numbers.
I doubt it. Asylum claims are only processed for those who present themselves peacefully.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:43 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Look again. They have stayed in Mexico, not set foot in the US or stormed the wall or the US POE.
They've sure stormed it enough to have the very busy San Ysidro POE be closed in both directions and to have tear gas be deployed.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Either way the blood lust of some are still just as appalling.

You can be anti- either option, and it's a reasonable stance, certainly everyone has a right to what they stand for, but really, wishing for violence is disgusting.

It shows more about them, and who they are as a person, then any political affiliation.

You can be anti-immigration, and still have compassion for what these people have been through, and what their lives were like from where they fled.

As I have stated in here I'm not for using violence unless it's absolutely necessary. However, as I have also said I lost any compassion for them when they were offered asylum and jobs in Mexico and most refused. By the way, most Americans are not anti-immigration either. Immigration is a legal process and is separate process from being an asylum requester.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:48 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Exclamation Trump closes San Diego border—-migrants rush wall throw rocks at border patrol on both sides

Lots of different news reports happening. Not clear how long both the south and north going port of entry will be closed. They used some tear gas as migrants started rushing the wall throwing rocks at both Mexican and U.S. police/border patrol.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/25/us/sa...sed/index.html

https://nypost.com/2018/11/25/us-age...s-with-mexico/

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mexico...-entire-border

Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I doubt it. Asylum claims are only processed for those who present themselves peacefully.

Most won't qualify though even if they present themselves at our border requesting asylum and they know it. So what other option would they have other than to storm our border en masse? As I said, let's just wait and see what happens as more and more of these newer caravans join the initial one at our border.

I imagine many of them will get ansty waiting for weeks if not months to even get an interview at the border, so......

Old 11-25-2018, 03:50 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Migrants enveloped in tear gas after heading toward US
Quote:
Migrants approaching the U.S. border from Mexico were enveloped with tear gas Sunday after a few tried to breach the fence separating the two countries.

U.S. agents shot the gas, according to an Associated Press reporter on the scene. Children were screaming and coughing in the mayhem.

Honduran migrant Ana Zuniga, 23, said she saw migrants open a small hole in concertina wire at a gap on the Mexican side of a levee, at which point U.S. agents fired tear gas at them.

Yeah, they tried to storm the border.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:50 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Crappy, corrupt governments that aren't held accountable for their policies by their people is the reason.
As long as the governments know that their countrymen can always sneak over the border and get a job in America and send money home, they have no incentive to do anything. Everyone knows that if Trump succeeds in closing the border to illegals, governments may actually have to do something for their people.

Deporting criminal aliens to their home country is just common sense. You want them hanging around in the US?

The US has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into these countries and no result. That pothole that hasn't been fixed since last winter, that's a result of money being sent to these countries.

When is it time to look out for Americans?
The millions sent to poor countries go in the form of military aids, i.e. most of the money goes right back to the arm industry and other military contractors. Other part of the money goes to "straightening democracy" or put otherwise making sure pro-US governments stay in power, a very small part goes to building infrastructure in the form of loans. These latter serve to make sure raw products continue to flow out of the country cheaply. In no way help the average person, but they have to pay the high interest + principal of the loans.

NOTHING IS DONE TO GET THEM OUT OF POVERTY. Absolutely no investment that could actually make a different to improve the livelihood of people living in poor countries. Most of what they produce goes to pay the interest of foreign loans, a good part is stolen through corruption. To make sure poor government pay, foreign banks and financial institutions keep pushing austerity measures. Any attempt to stop this cycle is met with coups and assassinations.

In the case of Honduras, things got even worst after the 2009 US-backed coup. More militarization and privatization. The result was more poverty and violence.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:51 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As I have stated in here I'm not for using violence unless it's absolutely necessary. However, as I have also said I lost any compassion for them when they were offered asylum and jobs in Mexico and most refused. By the way, most Americans are not anti-immigration either. Immigration is a legal process and is separate process from being an asylum requester.

Your stance was exactly the same before Mexico offered sanctuary.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies