Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm fine with things like hoses, and tear gas. It might not seem humane, but I've watched piglets (police recruits) get sprayed a few times as part of training, so if we can do it to them, we can do to others.

It gets dangerous (in any circumstance) when crowds develop, and crowds are prone to do things that individuals would not.

I agree with you on the presence of dogs being a deterrent, people straighten up and fly right when they are brought out.

All that aside, I am not entirely clear on the legality issue of all this, but I'm fine with waiting to see what happens.
I'm with you. Hopefully this isn't going to be a problem every time a new group arrives, but as you say, we'll see.

It's pretty galling that Mexico offered them shelter, medical attention, jobs and schooling if they stayed in Chiapas or Oaxaca and they said no.

Last edited by MPowering1; 11-25-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 05:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So you agree they were not offered asylum.

Sure. No country EVER offers asylum, no questions asked. All asylum seekers must apply for asylum and be vetted.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:23 PM

62,975 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to? I know Trump thinks he can make exceptions, like the one the courts said he couldn't.....

I'm sure there are some he can legally make. And while I will freely admit this gets into an area over my pay scale, it seems to be over Trump's too, and that's a problem.

No, Trump doesn't think he can make exceptions the law says he can. Perhaps the one who posted that exception to the law will post it again for us. Surely you have read it since you post in here often enough.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
That's what you can probably expect if you force your way across a foreign border from the nation you have just invaded. Actually you should expect far worse treatment.
The Mexicans were perfectly capable of stopping the caravan. They decided not to do so. And in fact the caravan has received aid in virtually all the cities they have passed through.

The only place where the caravan got a hard time is in Tijuana which is quite understandable. Thousands of people with little money and no connections are bound to cause trouble after a few days. The competition would even screw up the famed Tijuana beggars who target the tourists.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Something tells me you haven't either.
I have.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-25-2018, 05:25 PM

8,630 posts, read 10,157,980 times
It appears Mexico plans to deport the group which stormed the US Border:

Quote:
Mexico will deport almost 500 migrants who attempted to storm the US border, according to its interior ministry.

The group were rounded up after trying to cross the border "violently" and "illegally" on Sunday, the ministry said in a statement.

Video footage shows dozens of people - including women and children - running towards the fence that separates the two countries near the city of Tijuana.

They were repelled by tear gas used by US border officers.

Mexico's interior ministry said all those who were identified as having tried to cross would be deported immediately.

It added that, "far from helping their objectives", the migrants' actions had violated the legal migration framework and could have led to a "serious incident".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46339085

Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The Mexicans were perfectly capable of stopping the caravan. They decided not to do so. And in fact the caravan has received aid in virtually all the cities they have passed through.

The only place where the caravan got a hard time is in Tijuana which is quite understandable. Thousands of people with little money and no connections are bound to cause trouble after a few days. The competition would even screw up the famed Tijuana beggars who target the tourists.
Which is exactly why Mexico should never have let them crash their southern border. Now they are in northern Mexico, stuck. So I guess Mexico will either have to live with it or do something about it (like truck them home).

Old 11-25-2018, 05:29 PM

62,975 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Um..... you haven't seen the statistics on Trump voters have you?

That's an unfair and untrue attack on Trump voters. I thought better of you than that. Trump voters have nothing to do with the topic at hand anyway. Regardless of whom an American votes for they have a right to be in this country and regardless of their economic or educational status. Cheap shot by you.

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, Trump doesn't think he can make exceptions the law says he can. Perhaps the one who posted that exception to the law will post it again for us. Surely you have read it since you post in here often enough.

Well, he gets over turned by the courts a lot, so you are really going out on limb with that statement.

That said, I'm sure some of them will be legal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It appears Mexico plans to deport the group which stormed the US Border:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46339085
It's good to see that someone in the Mexican government is now actually thinking and doing something about this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies