Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:31 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Millions upon millions upon millions in grants have been spent. It's a bottomless pit. Corruption and the willingness of the people to go along with the corruption is the root cause of their problems.

These are competent human beings. As long as they know, they can get into the US and send remittances home, they will take the easy way out. Stop blaming the bogeyman of the West.

Look at Korea. 1980-1982 people had enough of corrupt ineffective ex-military generals as leaders. They stood up and by 2000 they were a first world country. Look at Taiwan, once the most exploited people - no environmental regs, cheap expendable labor, military control. Now a democracy, a vibrant economy not based on producing cheap goods, but developing their own technology.

Look at Poland, they stood up to violent communist regimes. Look at East Germany, weekly Monday night demonstrations were among the factors that brought down the communist government. Look at South Africa, struggles against oppresive racist regime. Now a multicultural society.

South Korea was built up by the US to use as military base. Neither South Korea nor Taiwan developed on their own, they are the creation of the US finances and technology. Same with Poland, it is being built up for military purposes. The most powerful nation in the world-USA-can build or destroy nations. It is why Africa is kept poor, to continue extracting their resources.

Those corrupt governments you are talking about are fully backed by the US. Only a few oppose it and the result is even worst with sanctions and wars. It is true corruption is at the root, but what you are unable to see is that behind that corruption is western interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Whose economy will be more affected by the border closing?

I think it will be devastating to Mexico, especially at this time of year. I've crossed the border the week before Christmas once, and hundreds of thousands of Mexican citizens go to Mexico for the holidays, bringing lots of money and gifts. Not so much in the other direction. Here's a 2015 article that illustrates it.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...tmas/77447364/

Old 11-25-2018, 05:35 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's an unfair and untrue attack on Trump voters. I thought better of you than that. Trump voters have nothing to do with the topic at hand anyway. Regardless of whom an American votes for they have a right to be in this country and regardless of their economic or educational status. Cheap shot by you.
It's the "deplorables" strategy that was popularized by Ms. Clinton. Call all your opponents stupid.

Truth is, only the stupid can't see how ridiculous that game is. I can't stand liberal philosophy, but I'm not going to call liberals stupid (meaning lacking intelligence) except for any given liberal that actually is lacking intelligence. Which most are not. They simply harbor a philosophy to which I'm opposed. Now, do I think the liberal philosophy is stupid? Sure. But lot's of otherwise normal people believe in things I feel are stupid. Doesn't necessarily mean THEY are stupid.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It appears Mexico plans to deport the group which stormed the US Border:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46339085

It appears that Mexico understands that they have too much to lose if the border is closed, which will be the result anytime these aliens attempt to storm across.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:51 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What's your point? Her trip to the emergency room cost a fraction of the amount of ONE of Trump's pointless ego boosting rallies that we also pay for. She'll be sent back to Guatemala, as she should be. Case closed.
After she plays hide and go seek, we play catch and release, and she disappears without showing up for her hearing.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think it will be devastating to Mexico, especially at this time of year. I've crossed the border the week before Christmas once, and hundreds of thousands of Mexican citizens go to Mexico for the holidays, bringing lots of money and gifts. Not so much in the other direction. Here's a 2015 article that illustrates it.
https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...tmas/77447364/
There’s another border crossing nearby that remained opened. It’s not that much out of the way, just a slight hassle if you want to go to Tijuana. They also just said the border crossing at San Ysidro was reopened.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, he gets over turned by the courts a lot, so you are really going out on limb with that statement.

That said, I'm sure some of them will be legal.

Right, the courts filled with liberal judges. How can they argue with an exception to the law? Some of them may gain asylum but do you not understand how much it costs us to process so many who don't have a viable claim for asylum? Do you not understand that if allowed into our country and are awaiting a court hearing that most never even show up? Our basic asylum laws are outdated but I'm also glad that we at least have an exception law in place for them.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
There’s another border crossing nearby that remained opened. It’s not that much out of the way, just a slight hassle if you want to go to Tijuana. They also just said the border crossing at San Ysidro was reopened.

A border crossing is only going to be closed on an as-needed basis for control and security. I think this has been communicated clearly to Mexico and they understand it is not in their best interests to let the caravans make trouble at the border. Trump is just being Trump about closing the "entire border". I don't think he has any intention of doing that, he's just stating the worst case scenario.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you actually stating that those in these caravans aren't on the low education totem pole? Where is your proof that most Trump voters are at the low education level? How can you point something out without any proof? We keep being told the GOP is the party of the rich. How does that equate to low education? In fact it is many Democrats that are not the most educated since many are minorities that can't afford a college education.
Calm down, Oldglory or we'll send you down to the border to sic you on some of the people trying to break through the border.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's easy enough to change - just have Congress pass comprehensive immigration reform as they have been talking about doing for 20+ years.

To you, "comprehensive immigration reform" is a euphemism for amnesty. And, yes, I'm glad that amnesty was stopped. Besides, in the last 20+ years, there have been several stealth amnesties. All amnesty begets is even more amnesties. Where does this end for you? When we have 1 billion people? Do you seriously think that we have unlimited potable water and buildable land? India has more than 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. I want better than that for my descendants. Why don't you want the same for yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies