Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

To you, "comprehensive immigration reform" is a euphemism for amnesty. And, yes, I'm glad that amnesty was stopped. Besides, in the last 20+ years, there have been several stealth amnesties. All amnesty begets is even more amnesties. Where does this end for you? When we have 1 billion people? Do you seriously think that we have unlimited potable water and buildable land? India has more than 1 billion people and Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water. I want better than that for my descendants. Why don't you want the same for yours?
I posted this in another thread but will repost here.

The Seven Amnesties Passed by Congress

Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That was just Trump talking out loud about something he brain-farted. Mexico says there is no deal.

Wrong. It was a Mexican official that made that statement, not Trump.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:22 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,070,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm fine with things like hoses, and tear gas. It might not seem humane, but I've watched piglets (police recruits) get sprayed a few times as part of training, so if we can do it to them, we can do to others.

It gets dangerous (in any circumstance) when crowds develop, and crowds are prone to do things that individuals would not.

I agree with you on the presence of dogs being a deterrent, people straighten up and fly right when they are brought out.

All that aside, I am not entirely clear on the legality issue of all this, but I'm fine with waiting to see what happens.
Yep. On A&E's "LIVE PD" one of the officers said that a suspect is more afraid of a dog biting them than actually being tazed or shot. Go Fiddo.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:25 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
I'm fine with things like hoses, and tear gas. It might not seem humane, but I've watched piglets (police recruits) get sprayed a few times as part of training, so if we can do it to them, we can do to others.
What have the police ever done to you that you would refer to them in such a derogatory and despicable manner?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They were not offered asylum.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4602056/m...aravan-asylum/

Several thousand Central American migrants turned down a Mexican offer of benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country’s two southernmost states, vowing to set out before dawn Saturday to continue their long trek toward the U.S. border.
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced what he called the “You are at home†plan, offering shelter, medical attention, schooling and jobs to Central Americans in Chiapas and Oaxaca states if they applied, calling it a first step toward permanent refugee status.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:30 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/4602056/m...aravan-asylum/

Several thousand Central American migrants turned down a Mexican offer of benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country’s two southernmost states, vowing to set out before dawn Saturday to continue their long trek toward the U.S. border.
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced what he called the “You are at home†plan, offering shelter, medical attention, schooling and jobs to Central Americans in Chiapas and Oaxaca states if they applied, calling it a first step toward permanent refugee status.
Lol, no use providing a link to the poster you quoted. If it’s not on left wing media like CNN OR MSNBC he won’t believe it.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:41 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Over 500 made an invasion run through US border while throwing rocks.

Liberals are wrong ice again, as usual.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Um..... you haven't seen the statistics on Trump voters have you?

Good grief, smh. I've read your posts and actually I'm a bit surprised by this ^^^^^^

What is your point? That Trump supporters are dumb as dirt? FWIW, I'm highly educated but IMO, that doesn't mean a dam thing when applied to why I voted for Trump.

I'll argue that most who voted for him refused to become a sheeple and vote for someone that would have continued with the status quo. Most took a look around and decided "no more." We knew voting Trump in would result in screams of fury and gnashing of teeth (and we weren't disappointed), but change is never easy.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:51 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Lol, no use providing a link to the poster you quoted. If it’s not on left wing media like CNN OR MSNBC he won’t believe it.

Because it is false. Mexico offered temporary status in those two states in southern Mexico. That was all over the Spanish news. In a year or two they would likely be sent back. Had they really been offered asylum to Mexico, and not temporary permit to the poorest state, most would probably take it. Stop spreading false news.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:55 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
Yep. On A&E's "LIVE PD" one of the officers said that a suspect is more afraid of a dog biting them than actually being tazed or shot. Go Fiddo.
Not just for police situations. I jog every day and I've got to tell you, I ALWAYS anticipate the worst when I come across anyone on the trail with a dog bigger than a football. I've been attacked twice by dogs while jogging. It's damn frightening. And it is the main reason I carry a small push dagger with me while jogging. Never again.

I'm sure dogs could be used effectively on the border right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Good grief, smh. I've read your posts and actually I'm a bit surprised by this ^^^^^^

What is your point? That Trump supporters are dumb as dirt? FWIW, I'm highly educated but IMO, that doesn't mean a dam thing when applied to why I voted for Trump.

I'll argue that most who voted for him refused to become a sheeple and vote for someone that would have continued with the status quo. Most took a look around and decided "no more." We knew voting Trump in would result in screams of fury and gnashing of teeth (and we weren't disappointed), but change is never easy.
I think it is the opposite of what liberals generally claim about Trump voters. Trump voters were smart enough to see what voting for the alternative would mean for their futures. They said no thanks. Nothing stupid about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies