Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:53 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
As I have stated in here I'm not for using violence unless it's absolutely necessary. However, as I have also said I lost any compassion for them when they were offered asylum and jobs in Mexico and most refused.
They were not offered jobs. They were offered temporary work permits but only if they stayed in the rural south - in Chiapas and Oaxaca - two the poorest states in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your stance was exactly the same before Mexico offered sanctuary.
It doesn’t matter what anyone’s stance was now. If they passed on asylum in Mexico they’re invaders and should be stopped by any means necessary.

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Migrants enveloped in tear gas after heading toward US

Yeah, they tried to storm the border.
Well, your article said a "few" tried to cut through the fence, so not exactly a mob. But they fired tear gas into them, and that's what it is there for.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Your stance was exactly the same before Mexico offered sanctuary.

Not for those who aren't bogus asylum seekers and apply at a legal port of entry. However, as I said we already have 750,000 cases that are back logged. Is there a point when we have to say no more and they should apply for asylum with another country?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It doesn’t matter what anyone’s stance was now. If they passed on asylum in Mexico they’re invaders and should be stopped by any means necessary.

Yeah, except for that's not what our laws say.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not for those who aren't bogus asylum seekers and apply at a legal port of entry. However, as I said we already have 750,000 cases that are back logged. Is there a point when we have to say no more and they should apply for asylum with another country?
Again, that's not our law. It is legal to apply for asylum anywhere, it is ALSO legal to claim asylum even after you have been caught being in the country illegally.

You can say no more, but you do have to do it legally.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
They were not offered jobs. They were offered temporary work permits but only if they stayed in the rural south - in Chiapas and Oaxaca - two the poorest states in Mexico.

You're wrong again! I'm not going to dig up the link that I already posted again. Doesn't matter if Chiapas is poor that's mainly the state that they were offered jobs in. So you're admitting that they just want to flee poverty then? Um, that's not a legitimate asylum claim to enter the U.S. Kinda caught you on that one, didn't I?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Again, that's not our law. It is legal to apply for asylum anywhere, it is ALSO legal to claim asylum even after you have been caught being in the country illegally.

And what was pointed out with a link there are exceptions to that law that the president can exercise.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:

It's easy enough to change - just have Congress pass comprehensive immigration reform as they have been talking about doing for 20+ years.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
They were not offered asylum. They would be allowed to stay and work in Chiapas or Oaxaca. And why would that not be a good idea? Because Chiapas for instance has a large migration out to other parts of Mexico driven by 75% poverty levels - the worst in Mexico. So basically the Mexicans offered jobs where there are no sustainable ones and where the natives are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies