Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:16 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,437,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've known about blackface since I was a teenager. I read about it in a textbook. I learned about it in history books. This is something that I know alot about, and for that reason, I understand how offensive it is. This is why I have a disgust towards those who would try blackface. If you know it's offensive and you still wear blackface, that is disgusting. It shows you have a bigoted mentality deep down. If you really don't know that blackface really is offensive, I wonder
1) Did you pay attention in history class?
2) What were you taught in school?
I tend to think that may be part of Megyn's problem. She's too young to have learned about it.

I'm not. I remember seeing blackface on TV in the 1950s.
Even as a young child, I knew it was demeaning to black folks, but only because my Grandma, a school teacher, would never allow me to watch Amos 'n Andy. She thought it was indecent.

Minstrel entertainment was the most popular of all for nearly 100 years. It began in the 1830s in New York and Philadelphia, and really didn't end until the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

Once blackface fell out of favor on TV and in the movies, which happened very suddenly, it vanished everywhere for good in public entertainment. I tend to think that its disappearance may have been a business decision, as lots of black families watched TV back then.

Then as now, advertisers ruled, and by the 1950s, ad men were already keeping track of how products sold to various ethnic groups in the U.S. The advertisers really called the shots on the TV networks, and sometimes acted as censors.

But I can see where Megyn's parents may have thought it amusing as part of a Halloween costume in the 1970s, when she was a child.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-26-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 08:21 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I tend to think that may be part of Megyn's problem. She's too young to have learned about it.

I'm not. I remember seeing blackface on TV in the 1950s.

Minstrel entertainment was the most popular of all for nearly 100 years. It began in the 1830s in New York and Philadelphia, and really didn't end until the civil rights movement of the 1960s. For many years, wearing the burnt cork was something that audiences expected for novelty singers and dancers, or any white man who sang black man's music, even the serious stuff. Even in church or in the White House too.

The term Jim Crow came from minstrel music. It was the first big hit minstrel tune, written and sung in blackface by an Irish immigrant who imitated a crippled black street musician.
I'm 32 years old. I learned about blackface in the early 2000s. It's hard for me to accept age as a reason. And with people even younger than me engaging in blackface, I'm very skeptical as to believe age is the issue.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,363,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I offer no solution for white behavior and beliefs. It is what it is. I just want African Americans to understand the cause and effects of white behavior and beliefs on their socioeconomic and psychological condition. What black people should do is UNIFY for our elevation and affirmation. We can't look for whites to say good things and do good by us to lift us up, because opening the door for people to help you opens the door for them to hurt you. We need to close the door and focus on lifting black people.

See how that sounds? I can guarantee you that if black folks start turning to uplift and favor black folks for the purpose of offsetting the negativity and inferior ways that others see and treat blacks, that many white people will have a problem with that. They will see that as a form of reverse discrimination against whites if blacks unify to promote and uplift blacks. People will then say, "You are being divisive", "why can't whites unify to uplift whites?". Lift you up from what? Who has kept you down?

I don't agree with the firing of Megan Kelly. I don't think what she said was necessarily racist. I don't think anything will work short of black unity and blacks looking to promote and lift up blacks, now that we have legal protection. The problem is that most black people are hell bent on seeking and getting white approval of us. We are waiting for white people to give us a reason to feel good about ourselves.....and its not going to happen because too many see blacks as inferior, unless they are running with a ball.
Whelp, I know very little about anything you've discussed here...except that I agree that many, many, many people will pounce on anything that sounds remotely like putting one's ethnic group ahead of other ethnic groups and they'll call it bigoted and wrong...which is often unreasonable.

Sometimes, some people just understand needs of their group in ways that people outside that group are less likely to see, so it makes perfect sense to put the needs of their racial or cultural group before then needs of other groups. On occasion, those other groups wouldn't know how to assist your group even if they desperately wanted to.

I will say, I have an instinctive distrust of culture, and group-think, both of which you've advocated a kind of spreading of. I don't think I've learned anything useful from my culture. Maybe I just have an unusually bad culture, or one that's just a bad fit for me.

May your movement genuinely help people...and never turn into turn into something oppressive that only survives by insulting people who don't join it. If it reaches that point, I think it should probably just die. It probably could genuinely help people.

I think a lot of times why people are so hard on the types of things you've advocated is because they see you as a threat to their individuality, which your movement could very well become, if it were to succeed.
Merely advocating unity of black people means people are going to have to sacrifice something else...and of course helping other black people isn't necessarily the best use of their resources. Even for the purest of humanitarians it might be best to completely ignore the plight of broke, intercity African Americans and will all of one's money to go to some company that provides clean water to third world nations after they die or something.

I think people know that, and that's why we're not seeing massive assistance of broke, intercity youth. There are just many things people could spend their time and resources on that might be more fruitful. That's different from the Civil Rights movement though. With the Civil Rights movement, the government was engaging in intolerable unfairness, and there was a clear solution: just change the laws. It's much harder to alter culture though. That's quite an uphill battle, I think. I think that's why there's never going to be any massive movement, but there could be smaller, local movements.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:22 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,349,835 times
Quote:
Then as now, advertisers ruled, and by the 1950s, ad men were already keeping track of how products sold to various ethnic groups in the U.S. The advertisers really called the shots on the TV networks, and sometimes acted as censors.
True.
The show Mad Men goes into that quite a bit.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,900,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've known about blackface since I was a teenager. I read about it in a textbook. I learned about it in history books. This is something that I know alot about, and for that reason, I understand how offensive it is. This is why I have a disgust towards those who would try blackface. If you know it's offensive and you still wear blackface, that is disgusting. It shows you have a bigoted mentality deep down. If you really don't know that blackface really is offensive, I wonder
1) Did you pay attention in history class?
2) What were you taught in school?
Might I ask why should anyone else care what you find offensive or more like were told was offensive from some book teaching modern PCism?

You clearly don't care about what offends others or what they find offensive or their sensibilities. So frankly I don't care what you find offensive.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-26-2018 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,324,541 times
Conservtives who join the mainstream networks are kdding thesleves that they are there to balance the panel. You're not allowed the slightest deviation from the orthodoxy. Kelly when she was at Fox definitely came across as right leaning. You go to NBC and you have to swallow the party line, hook and sinker. Same thing happened today to Hugh Hewitt over at MSNBC. Now Joe Schmo is all over him. His days may be numbered too.

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1055933511767674880

Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,611,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In light of Megyn Kelly's recent comments on Black Face, and suggesting that it is okay as long as you're a child and playing a character, later retracting and apologizing for those comments.

I always thought Kelly's departure of Fox News, where she had been a staple of that Company for years was suspect, and I was even more surprised to hear that NBC would be picking her up for her own talk show, given her past. It seems that this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. What is your opinion? Should her show be canned? Or are people taking this too far?
I think her comments were stupid, and on their own, i wouldnt think it deserves a cancellation, BUT the totality of all the stuff she has said for years makes it look like she has lived in some weird bubble where the she thinks the racial things she says is ok. Maybe in the environment she grew up in, they were.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:58 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,611,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Conservtives who join the mainstream networks are kdding thesleves that they are there to balance the panel. You're not allowed the slightest deviation from the orthodoxy. Kelly when she was at Fox definitely came across as right leaning. You go to NBC and you have to swallow the party line, hook and sinker. Same thing happened today to Hugh Hewitt over at MSNBC. Now Joe Schmo is all over him. His days may be numbered too.

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1055933511767674880
Are you actually trying to argue that black face is ok and that sending a bomb to someone is the equivalent of yelling at someone in a bar or restaurant ?

Old 10-27-2018, 06:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,804,506 times
This is the video of the "controversy":

https://globalnews.ca/video/4597041/...stume-is-wrong

There's nothing racist or even insensitive here. The controversy is pure fabrication. Only professional aggreivement fomenters can find anything objectionable here.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM
exm

3,736 posts, read 1,795,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you actually trying to argue that black face is ok and that sending a bomb to someone is the equivalent of yelling at someone in a bar or restaurant ?

How about shooting up GOP senators on a baseball field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies