Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:03 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Strange. I don't recall conservatives moving to liberal cities...
On the contrary. Cityiots migrate out of their cities to develop where conservatives live... and just like cancer, spread like wildfire.
Not everyone who come from red states is a conservative, y'all. These people by and large have no political affiliation, but they move to liberal cities by the truck loads to escape the hellish red areas and come to blue cities to sleep on the streets. And then it's the liberal cities' problem.

And then the rich right-wing talking heads - Michael Savage, Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, etc; all live in blue liberal cities.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wow, what a history lesson. S side Chicago and St Louis are loaded with minority republicans shooting up the place. Were you on an old star trek episode? The alternate universe one?
Who sold them guns?

Gun-free liberals or gun-nut right-wingers??? I'll give you one guess.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This morning there was yet another mass shooting in California. One little fact I pulled out of the news coverage for this was that the gun involved was legally purchased in California. This brings up an inconvenient fact for gun control proponents.

California has some of the strictest gun control in the country. It's gun control laws are a model of what the left wing gun control advocates want to foist on the country as a while. But now we've had the third (at least) mass shooting where the gun(s) used were legally purchased in CA, under it's gun control laws. The other two are San Bernadino and Isla Vista.

The reason this is a major point of the failure of gun control is that gun grabbers in liberal states complain that other states more reasonable gun laws allow guns to come into the hard core gun control states, and cause the killings. This was plainly not the case in these events. So it goes to show that even if CA's laws were implemented at the federal level, they'd have little or no effect in reducing mass shootings.

The Isla Vista shooting is also instructive in evaluating the effectiveness of another pet policy of gun control advocates. They want to screen people buying or owning guns for mental instability, and try and take away their guns. AFAIK CA allows for this. In Isla Vista, the shooter popped up on the local law enforcement's radar. They interviewed the guy not long before the shooting, and took no action. So this speaks to the effectiveness (or lack thereof.)
Facts, facts, and more facts....

The problem isn't the guns --- the problem is the decline of decency, the decline of respect for God, the decline of people knowing right vs wrong.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I wouldn't be giving anything up. I'm perfectly qualified. I'm civically literate, English fluent, and pay federal taxes. (just to list some top criteria that should be applied)

alright then, what other rights do you want to take away from others then? and before you answer, remember that what can happen to others, can also happen to you as well.

you think you are qualified to vote, but someone else might think otherwise, and if they have the power, you lose your right to vote.

this is why we must fight for EVERYONES rights. if we dont we lose them.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 AM

477 posts, read 276,805 times
So the killer broke the following laws, listed in terms of severity:

1) Law against murder

2) Law against carrying a concealed firearm without a permit (which is basically illegal in much of California)

3) Law against bringing a firearm into a bar/establishment that serves alcohol

4) Law against "high capacity" magazines (specific state law)

Once someone is willing to break # 1... what do they care about the other laws?

California has...

1) Universal background checks

2) Gun registration requirements

3) Gun confiscation laws

4) A 10-day waiting period on gun purchases

5) An “assault weapons” ban

6) A one gun-per-month limit on handgun purchases

7) A minimum firearm purchase age of 21

8) A ban on campus carry

9) A “good cause” restriction for concealed carry

10) Controls on the purchase of ammunition

I know what would have prevented this... another law!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
insanity is constantly trying the sme thing over and over again and expecting a different result. you can limit the magazines all you want, it wont do anything. you can make waiting periods longer, it wont do anything.

every gun control law ever created only affects law abiding citizens. criminals are not affected by gun control laws, in fact they want MORE gun control laws because they know that the law abiding citizens will end up disarmed, because they follow the laws and criminals dont.

think about it, we have laws against many thing in this country, you cant turn around these days without violating some law it seems. but does it stop criminals? we have laws against speeding, does that mean everyon drives the speed limit? no it doesnt.

criminals dont get their guns from gun shops, they get them from the black market where there are no controls taht are followed, except that you bring cash. no background checks, no waiting periods, etc.
This!!!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
California has some very strict laws against murder.

This just goes to show that laws prohibiting murder just don't work! In fact, since there is still rape and theft and drunk driving and meth use, laws against all those things are futile, too!

Either that... or... ... it makes absolutely no sense to claim that because a prohibited act is not eradicated, then the prohibition should be repealed.

Gee, I wonder which it could possibly be?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:23 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Who sold them guns?

Gun-free liberals or gun-nut right-wingers??? I'll give you one guess.

Since when are the gangbangers and their gun runners right-wing? I hardly think the blacks who dominate the majority of gun homicide stats are right-wingers.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 AM

34,233 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Make laws against human ACTS, not the tool used. California gun laws, and other illegal gun laws are only meant to restrict the law abiding, not criminals. A disarmed citizen is a more easily controlled citizen.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Perhaps more in-depth screening and longer wait times might help. Maybe there should be a restriction on the size of the magazines. I'm not a gun person so I may be way off base. Just putting together some thoughts from past shooting information I have seen.

You are indeed a bit off track but that's not any fault of yours. CA is a leftist nut poster child for "gun control." magazine size is very restricted there , ammunition is tightly regulated, service style rifles are banned, there are two BC requirements in place, it's a firearms owners worst nightmare. At least a law abiding one.

Yet CA has more mass shootings than any other state. My son and I used to attend a lot of competitions in CA. Not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies