Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Didn't that radical lefty Dwight D Eisenhower do this? Only at a higher percentage? And weren't those considered among our more prosperous times?
Yes on both points. It was around 90% for the filthy rich, the group that can pay that kind of tax and still try to control everything. Those folks are practically getting a free ride. Those are the only people this proposal targets, not people spending time on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I like how people choose to limit my potential before I get there. If I earn my way to nobility type status/wealth. Why the heck shouldn't I be allowed?
Don't worry. You won't get there wasting away your time here.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:19 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
Didn't that radical lefty Dwight D Eisenhower do this? Only at a higher percentage? And weren't those considered among our more prosperous times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yes on both points. It was around 90% for the filthy rich, the group that can pay that kind of tax and still try to control everything. Those folks are practically getting a free ride. Those are the only people this proposal targets, not people spending time on C-D.
No.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a dunce so you can't trust her numbers or her explanations.

Yes the top bracket was higher 91%, but there were far more loop holes.

https://taxfoundation.org/taxes-rich-1950-not-high/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...51601554982808

The end result is that the rich paid barely more than they do today.

This has been repeated ad nauseum, but thanks to dunces with a megaphone like Cortez the public is becoming more and more clueless.

She mentions what Europe has...one thing she either deceptively leaves out or is too stupid to know is that Europe has a more regressive tax structure than the US.

...and this will be way over the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez' fans heads....the economy was different in the late 1940s and 1950s...30 million a year was a lot more than today, Europe was destroyed, Asia was destroyed, America was the lone industrial giant.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You don't get it, when the classes diverge too much in wealth, it raises the COL for the lower classes without any input from them, because the ascending few wealthy can outbid them for everything by simply paying more
The solution to that is eliminating the glut of under-educated and no/low-skill workers that keeps no/low skill jobs' wages depressed simply as a result of supply and demand in the labor market. The two factors contributing to the problem:

1) Women who receive public assistance benefits, as a group, have a 3 times higher birth rate than women (with or without partners) who are self-supporting and can support their children without public assistance program benefits. 70% of those born poor never rise above that socioeconomic status their entire lives.

2) The importation of millions of under-educated no/low-skill workers from third world countries who then undercut wages to get jobs.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
why do people attack this women's intelligence? she has a degree in international relations with a minor in economics.

she worked as an intern for a senator before she was elected...she actually has an asteroid named for her..that's right a planetary object!

while i suspect she will be bought off by the powers that be, before too long what we need is people with fresh ideas that maybe be sound "crazy" at first but not so much on further inspection

Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
why do people attack this women's intelligence? she has a degree in international relations with a minor in economics.

she worked as an intern for a senator before she was elected...she actually has an asteroid named for her..that's right a planetary object!

while i suspect she will be bought off by the powers that be, before too long what we need is people with fresh ideas that maybe be sound "crazy" at first but not so much on further inspection
Because she says incredibly stupid things. Degrees definitely do NOT make people smart, sorry.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:12 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Because she says incredibly stupid things. Degrees definitely do NOT make people smart, sorry.
She did an interview with CNN I think it was a while back and I saw a video where someone was fact checking every statement she made and she was so off base and incorrect in what she was saying.

I don't get why she's some kind of rock star, because she's young and pretty?? I mean jeez already, enough with this twit.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
She did an interview with CNN I think it was a while back and I saw a video where someone was fact checking every statement she made and she was so off base and incorrect in what she was saying.

I don't get why she's some kind of rock star, because she's young and pretty?? I mean jeez already, enough with this twit.
Too bad, you guys have to put up with her, just like we have to put up with the retard you call president....

Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Too bad, you guys have to put up with her, just like we have to put up with the retard you call president....
Unfortunately he is everyones president, luckily she is not everyones Representative.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
I dont defend either one of them and yes it is too bad, but whats more the crime is people seem to have no problem having their fortunes tied to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies