Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That was Clinton's biggest problem in the last election. She is a neo-lib beholden to big money, and only marginally interested in working for her constituents. The thing about Cortez is that she hasn't sold out her constituents. If she really wants to help poor people, she is going to have to bust some eggs. I understand why the oligarchs are freaked.
Sure she has. Just like Bernie Sanders did. Buy a bunch of votes with the "kill the rich" and freebie promises that they know they can't and won't deliver on. Although to be fair every politician lies, these two just happen to be a little better at it and more believable because they are telling some pretty desperate people some really nice warm and fuzzy fairy tales that are easy for them to buy into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
It's always nice to hear from a Pelosi fan.
I'm completely baffled by this comment.

What inspired this? I'm really curious how you linked up my criticism of AOC to being a fan of Pelosi???

Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oh yeah, you make $10 million or more per year, and I'm Elvis Presley .....
You think it will be 10 mil? How naive are you exactly?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
AOC is crazy dumb. Nobody should take her seriously. She’s a byproduct of angry Liberals at the voting both.
Rich people concerned about a tax hike should just get a second job and not drink so many lattes.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm completely baffled by this comment.

What inspired this? I'm really curious how you linked up my criticism of AOC to being a fan of Pelosi???
You like age and experience. There ya go.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:24 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There's a reason for that: over-breeding of the under-educated and no/low-skill poor and the mass importation of no/low-skill third world immigrants, both legal and illegal. The solution to that is eliminating the glut of under-educated and no/low-skill workers that keeps no/low skill jobs' wages depressed simply as a result of supply and demand in the labor market. The two factors contributing to the problem:

1) Women who receive public assistance benefits, as a group, have a 3 times higher birth rate than women (with or without partners) who are self-supporting and can support their children without public assistance program benefits. 70% of those born poor never rise above that socioeconomic status their entire lives.

2) The importation of millions of under-educated no/low-skill workers from third world countries who then undercut wages to get jobs.
I agree that the above is becoming a problem, but what caused it?

30 years ago we all knew illegals picked our supermarket produce, and back then no one harshly complained about illegals, instead we said "the illegals make our produce much cheaper", and back then we allowed illegals to do the jobs no one wanted to do.

But then American corporations moved massive numbers of jobs to Asia and other countries, and today we are attacking illegals for taking government services and taking jobs (when 30 years ago no one harshly complained about either of those things.)

Part of todays problem with illegals is America loosing manufacturing jobs, and American citizens becoming poorer and then needing government assistance illegals are getting. And illegals are starting to take too much money from the US government, but there are still other problems that caused most of today's problems with illegals.

We need to stop giving illegals government welfare and stop giving illegals jobs, not build a wall. If illegals know America has government handouts and high paying jobs waiting for them they will get around a wall (just like South American cocaine will always get around a wall.)

Quote:
You're misinformed. Read the following info:

How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend
Countries like Denmark, Sweden, and Norway have flat VAT taxes on certain goods and services, but their income tax systems are progressive.

In Denmark lower income citizens are taxed at 5.83% and higher income citizens are taxed at an additional 15%."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...ark#Income_tax

In Sweden low income citizens have 0% income tax rates.
And wealthy citizens have 56% tax rates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...den#Income_tax

Norway taxes low income citizens at 1.4%.
And taxes high income earners at 15.4%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...ay#Bracket_tax

And besides those countries having progressive income tax systems, they also charge wealthy citizens higher fees and fines. Example, if a very wealthy citizen in Switzerland gets caught speeding the ticket fine can be as high as $1 million USD.
https://www.motor1.com/news/23266/1-...ish-sls-owner/
Introducing the World’s First Million-Dollar Speeding Fine | TIME.com

Last edited by chad3; 01-07-2019 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
The controversy of the moment involves AOC’s advocacy of a tax rate of 70-80 percent on very high incomes, which is obviously crazy, right? I mean, who thinks that makes sense? Only ignorant people like … um, Peter Diamond, Nobel laureate in economics and arguably the world’s leading expert on public finance (although Republicans blocked him from an appointment to the Federal Reserve Board with claims that he was unqualified. Really.) And it’s a policy nobody has every implemented, aside from … the United States, for 35 years after World War II — including the most successful period of economic growth in our history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/o...icy-dance.html
Post WWII there were far more deductions. Hardly anybody paid those rates. When they came down it was essentially simplifying taxes (hard to believe) so the effective rate essentially stayed the same as before.

Duurka derr.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You think it will be 10 mil? How naive are you exactly?
It's right there in the proposal, unless you either can't read or are saying she's lying; I'm more inclined to believe her than you....

Old 01-07-2019, 11:32 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
You like age and experience. There ya go.
Everytime I see Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters I want to scratch out my eyeballs. Every time I see that bug eyed old bat lecturing the American people and saying how border walls are "immoral" makes me sick.

Paul Ryan on the other side of the aisle make my stomach turn too.

The only difference between the dems and repugs is that the dems give you the illusion of a reach-around while they are putting it to you.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sure she has. Just like Bernie Sanders did. Buy a bunch of votes with the "kill the rich" and freebie promises that they know they can't and won't deliver on. Although to be fair every politician lies, these two just happen to be a little better at it and more believable because they are telling some pretty desperate people some really nice warm and fuzzy fairy tales that are easy for them to buy into.

They're idealists, that doesn't make them liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies