Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ahh...The NEW Democratic Party

Packed full of no accomplishments, no experience, no original ideas,
no understanding of how the economy works, no understanding of how the world works,
The economy works by product invention, capital, supply and demand, and consumer spending.

Republicans recently passed the Trump tax cuts to help the economy, and the Trump tax cuts do the following,

Raise low income workers after-tax income by 0.8%
Raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5%
Raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%

And 40% of the Trump tax cuts go to the richest 0.1% of Americans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1ccb08765b9d
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#78a6eaf51099

Quote:
no common sense, nothing but abstract, empty rhetoric devoid of real substance.
Could you please answer the following questions.

Did Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Jeff Bezos need extra tax cut money to start a new business, or did those billionaires already have enough money for any business venture they desired?

And how does giving the richest 0.1% of Americans 40% of the Trump tax cuts ($100's of billions of dollars), help the economy more than giving low income and middle class Americans $100's of billions in tax cuts?

And Trumps tax cuts will add $2.2 trillion to our national debt, will that have any effect on the economy?
Trump and GOP Tax Cut Could Cost Your Kids $2.2 Trillion | Time

Quote:
that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation . . . .You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
The beginning of the end of a capitalist civilization happens with low wages, workers in debt, with the extremely wealthy controlling the government (and ancient capitalist civilizations in South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe all ended that way.)

As they say, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer."

In 1962 the richest 1% of Americans owned 35% of the nations wealth, and the bottom 90% of the population owned 35% of the nations wealth.

In 2016 the richest 1% owned over 40% of the nations wealth, and the bottom 90% owned 22% of the nations wealth.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...om-90-percent/

To keep a capitalist society functioning occasionally money has to be redistributed from the rich to the poor. And this has already been done in America's past.

In the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's the tax rate for the richest 1% was over 70% (and during this time America rose to become the wealthiest and most powerful country on Earth.)
https://bradfordtaxinstitute.com/Fre...Tax-Rates.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The economy works by product invention, capital, supply and demand, and consumer spending.

Republicans recently passed the Trump tax cuts to help the economy, and the Trump tax cuts do the following,

Raise low income workers after-tax income by 0.8%
Raise middle class Americans after-tax income by 1.5%
Raise the richest 1% of Americans after-tax income by 13.5%
Raise the richest 0.1% of Americans after-tax income by 14.2%

And 40% of the Trump tax cuts go to the richest 0.1% of Americans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#1ccb08765b9d
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#78a6eaf51099

Could you please answer the following questions.

Did Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and Jeff Bezos need extra tax cut money to start a new business, or did those billionaires already have enough money for any business venture they desired?

And how does giving the richest 0.1% of Americans 40% of the Trump tax cuts ($100's of billions of dollars), help the economy more than giving low income and middle class Americans $100's of billions in tax cuts?

And Trumps tax cuts will add $2.2 trillion to our national debt, will that have any effect on the economy?
Trump and GOP Tax Cut Could Cost Your Kids $2.2 Trillion | Time

The beginning of the end of a capitalist civilization happens with low wages, workers in debt, with the extremely wealthy controlling the government (and ancient capitalist civilizations in South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe all ended that way.)

As they say, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer."

In 1962 the richest 1% of Americans owned 35% of the nations wealth, and the bottom 90% of the population owned 35% of the nations wealth.

In 2016 the richest 1% owned over 40% of the nations wealth, and the bottom 90% owned 22% of the nations wealth.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...om-90-percent/
There's a reason for that: over-breeding of the under-educated and no/low-skill poor and the mass importation of no/low-skill third world immigrants, both legal and illegal. The solution to that is eliminating the glut of under-educated and no/low-skill workers that keeps no/low skill jobs' wages depressed simply as a result of supply and demand in the labor market. The two factors contributing to the problem:

1) Women who receive public assistance benefits, as a group, have a 3 times higher birth rate than women (with or without partners) who are self-supporting and can support their children without public assistance program benefits. 70% of those born poor never rise above that socioeconomic status their entire lives.

2) The importation of millions of under-educated no/low-skill workers from third world countries who then undercut wages to get jobs.

Quote:
To keep a capitalist society functioning occasionally money has to be redistributed from the rich to the poor. And this has already been done in America's past.
You're misinformed. Read the following info:

How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend

Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Because she uses populist talking points that anyone with an understanding of economics knows are blatantly false. As someone with a degree in economics she’s painful to listen to. She’s a female version of Bernie Sanders; all show, little substance.

The controversy of the moment involves AOC’s advocacy of a tax rate of 70-80 percent on very high incomes, which is obviously crazy, right? I mean, who thinks that makes sense? Only ignorant people like … um, Peter Diamond, Nobel laureate in economics and arguably the world’s leading expert on public finance (although Republicans blocked him from an appointment to the Federal Reserve Board with claims that he was unqualified. Really.) And it’s a policy nobody has every implemented, aside from … the United States, for 35 years after World War II — including the most successful period of economic growth in our history.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/o...icy-dance.html

Old 01-07-2019, 11:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I like how people choose to limit my potential before I get there. If I earn my way to nobility type status/wealth. Why the heck shouldn't I be allowed? They earned it, and deserve it. Them earning more, doesn't constitute you taking more from them even more.

Greedy really. I am a middle class citizen, but damn I feel for the mega rich getting taxed for the 98% of the countries lower class. its garbage. We should be encouraging those to get rich and dominate the market. free market encourages free growth. Stop punishing those who earn more than others. I personally want a flat tax, 30% federal tax, no state tax. let the fed disperse it to the states with their population who paid into it.
I'm glad that you like it. The constitution bans patents of nobility for good reason. An aristocracy is automatically inimical to a democracy. Getting rid of an aristocracy is almost always a bloody and violent affair, from the French Revolution and Mme. Guillotine to the Russian Revolution that killed or exiled the aristocracy and threw a whole nation into dictatorial repression.

It's better if we nip the aristocracy in the bud before they can get started. It will save their lives.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
She also has an annoying "little girl" quality to her, in her speech and how she carries herself. She annoys me to no end. Not enough life experience, she needs to grow up still, I'd swear she still has the soft spot on her head still.
It's always nice to hear from a Pelosi fan.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I guarantee she is proposing a 70% bracket; not a 70% effective rate
I'm sure you will never see that bracket so it's ok with you if I get hit with it right?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
AOC is crazy dumb. Nobody should take her seriously. She’s a byproduct of angry Liberals at the voting both.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
She's so far left she makes Hillary look like a right winger.
That was Clinton's biggest problem in the last election. She is a neo-lib beholden to big money, and only marginally interested in working for her constituents. The thing about Cortez is that she hasn't sold out her constituents. If she really wants to help poor people, she is going to have to bust some eggs. I understand why the oligarchs are freaked.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
She also has an annoying "little girl" quality to her, in her speech and how she carries herself. She annoys me to no end. Not enough life experience, she needs to grow up still, I'd swear she still has the soft spot on her head still.
Why? Because she's actually a politician who's not a senior citizen?

I don't agree with her positions at all (except for universal healthcare and ending private prisons), but there needs to be new blood representing the people.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm sure you will never see that bracket so it's ok with you if I get hit with it right?
Oh yeah, you make $10 million or more per year, and I'm Elvis Presley .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies