Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:44 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The demographic that might lose health insurance was already voting Democrat.
Nope.... we have tons of threads of Republicans complaining about THEIR coverage costs on ACA. It is a stretch to believe that those loosing health care insurance is mostly Democrat. A lot of small business and independent workers are relying on ACA now and a lot of them no doubt are Republican leaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
now where will 26 year old "children" get their health insurance?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What's your point? Do you think the government should be Santa?...I thought we were talking about insurance here.

In Canada health care is a right, cars, homes and other material things are not...Use your brain.
I am using my brain. You seem to not be, however. How is "health care" a right? Logically spell that out for me. Since when is the service of others to you a right? And if it is then why are not other services a right? Why not a home or car? Why shouldn't an auto worker or a construction worker be the same kind of indentured servant to you as you feel doctors and nurses should be? And how about your profession? Why shouldn't the labor you perform be considered a "right" by someone else?

"Health care" is not a right. There is no logical argument that it should be. If there were, then every human endeavor on the face of the planet could also be argued to be a "right." The only natural "right" you have, is the right to not have others enslave you, and to make your own choices regarding your property (your body and legally owned assets). There is no "right" to services provided by others.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
my question is two part for those happy about this------who will insure those with pre-exsisting conditions and how will one afford the premiums unless one has millions?

Also why should another party have to fix what the current ruling party has continuously screwed up without any fixes????

Old 12-15-2018, 11:11 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
One must look behind the scenes here. We can look at the immediate effect and see millions of people thrown off of Obamacare. Are we now going to see a republican attempt to create a new law that will be to corporate likings. Will it be designed to replace/incorporate Medicare. Will some judge from Texas then cut everyone off at the knees?
That's patently laughable considering the fact that Obamacare was actually WRITTEN by insurance industry lobbyists.

Insurers poised to reap benefits from healthcare overhaul - LA Times

Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
my question is two part for those happy about this------who will insure those with pre-exsisting conditions and how will one afford the premiums unless one has millions?

Also why should another party have to fix what the current ruling party has continuously screwed up without any fixes????
It shouldn't be "insurance" that takes care of that. Maybe instead of being hung up on forcing a round peg into a square hole, a completely different solution is needed for that.

Quote:
Insurance: a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There goes my planned early retirement. Guess I'll be forced to work until 65 when medicare kicks in because employer sponsored insurance will be necessary since individual health insurance will be able to refuse to cover people with pre-existing conditions.
That's an issue for State insurance regulators.

Why don't you get off your butt and form a lobbying group to lobby your State legislators?

You can lobby your State legislators to include pre-existing conditions.

While you're at it, you can lobby your State legislators to repeal the laws written by the American Hospital Association that created "Out-of-Network" insurance, so all insurance is "In-Network."

And, you can lobby to repeal the "enabling laws" created by the American Hospital Association that let hospitals run as monopolies and monopolistic carters which illegally collude to illegally fix prices above market rates to dramatically reduce hospitalization costs.

And, you can also lobby your State legislators to repeal all of the mandates, so that buying health insurance is like buying auto or home insurance, where you buy a basic plan, and then buy add-ons that you want, so if you want $50,000 in emergency room coverage, you buy it and pay extra for it, and if you want $750,000 in emergency room coverage, you buy it and pay a lot more extra, and if you want pregnancy/maternity coverage, you buy it and pay extra, and if you want birth control coverage, you buy it and pay extra, and if you want doctor office visits covered, you buy it and pay extra, and if you want drugs covered, you buy it and pay extra.

That way, seniors and the elderly aren't forced to pay for coverage they cannot use, like pregnancy/maternity and birth control, and your average American isn't forced to pay for doctors office visits they can't use and prescription drug coverage they cannot sue, because they never meet the annual deductible.

That would make it affordable for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And people are shocked when they see USA life spans decreasing.
Your life-span is decreasing due to gun-related gang violence and the opioid epidemic, and neither have anything to do with healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm a Trump supporter, but I'm against this. I don't believe an activist, state judge, should be able to dictate national policy.
You're a federal republic, so you don't have national anything, and it is the duty of the courts to interpret laws Congress enacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Republicans haven't been able to produce a better plan.
Republicans don't have to, since both health insurance and medical care are intra-State commerce and Congress has no control or authority over intra-State commerce. You should read the Constitution at least once in your life.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:24 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's patently laughable considering the fact that Obamacare was actually WRITTEN by insurance industry lobbyists.

Insurers poised to reap benefits from healthcare overhaul - LA Times
Sure ... and by the AMA along with other interest groups ... then modified by various legislators to their political advantage. That's true for much of our legislation. And to dismiss it as outright graft would be too simplistic. Lobbyists provide much of the functional expertise.

My general recollection is that Clinton tried an alternative approach - writing draft legislation with a group of policy wonks. That failed - in part because it was not a Congressional "effort."

So, yeah, how to remove the profit incentive from healthcare legislation and healthcare itself is the question of the hour.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:26 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Sure ... and by the AMA along with other interest groups ... then modified by various legislators to their political advantage. That's true for much of our legislation. And to dismiss it as outright graft would be too simplistic.
Actually, no, it wouldn't. Obamacare was a get-rich-quick scheme imposed on everyone by the insurance industry and their lobbyists, and Obama, Pelosi, and Reid were whole-heartedly on board with the scam.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:28 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What's your point? Do you think the government should be Santa?...I thought we were talking about insurance here.

In Canada health care is a right, cars, homes and other material things are not...Use your brain.
Healthcare is a right but you don’t have the right to make me pay for your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies