Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Why do you need it if you can pay for yourself as you have claimed in past posts? You have claimed you are healthy and that you always will be. It is in your genetic makeup.
I don’t like having what I had for me taken from me and then some jackass saying it is better for me because because that same mindless idiot wants me to pay for other people’s stuff.

Not now, not ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:06 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They never got a dime from me.
Nor me, I never had ACA and my tax credits cancelled out the fine.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
It says a lot that the judge waited until people had enrolled before yanking their health insurance.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:10 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How much more tax would you be willing to pay for it?
10%?
15%?
50%?
Just a heads up....US taxpayers are paying more than Canadians now, and we afford universal care, why can't you?

The tax rate for a married couple with one income and two kids in the U.S. is 12 times as high as the tax rate on the same family in Canada.
No, that's not a typo.
It's among new data from the OECD, which shows that the old belief Canadians are a higher-taxed people than Americans is no longer true. The numbers are all the more remarkable when considering how much more value for money Canadian wage earners get for their taxes than Americans — our universal health care system being one obvious example.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/

Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
What ever happened to the Republicans finding a better solution?
Does it look like they are working on a solution?

Hell no.

The Republican party is not about solutions, it is only about opposing stuff, even when that are in full control. They are only good at whining.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:13 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So we can dsmiss those with a preexisting conditions as collateral damage because they are only a small percentage. Strangely Trump claimed he supported this while at the same time suing for removal in the courts. Evidently quite a few people used the ACA without being forced. So what’s your option for healthcare if the ACA disappears.

Interested in why you think it's an all or nothing equation?

I have my own ideas, but nobody listens to me lol.

1. Healthcare co-ops.

A group of individuals join a co-op that is served by a physician or group of physicians. They pay a monthly fee for the service but never pay any extra when they actually go to the doctor. Admittedly, this would probably only be useful for routine medical care and things like tests and minor surgery.

2. Healthcare savings accounts.

This would work much like social security, in that you would start contributing to it when you start working and it would follow you from job to job your entire life. Tax free in and out.
You decide how much to contribute but it can only be used for health care expenses or retirement.
If you pass away with money still in your account, it automatically goes into your family's accounts or into a general fund for the truly indigent.

3. A hybrid system.

A hybrid system would mean that individuals are responsible for their own basic healthcare needs such as office visits, prescriptions and minor or elective surgeries through traditional means such as employer-provided health insurance and the above described co-ops and health care savings accounts etc.

While the government, through a Medicare like system, would be responsible for more catastrophic illness, pre-existing conditions and major surgeries.

Both systems used together would result in lower costs across the board because each individual system only takes on part of the overall healthcare costs.
Individuals and insurance covering the low end and government covering the high end.

Traditional policies could still be available for those who wish to have them.

4. Encourage focus on reducing the actual cost of healthcare instead of worrying so much about health insurance.

It's always been rather perplexing to me how every other industry seems to be able to reduce their costs over time as technology gets older and improves......but healthcare can't seem to figure out how to do that.
Provide tax incentives for providers to lower costs of testing equipment and drugs etc.

......After all, people wouldn't be so dependant on insurance if healthcare wasn't so bloody expensive in the first place.

Last edited by FatBob96; 12-15-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
... and we afford universal care, why can't you?...
You could also afford buying everyone a new home and new car if you set your tax rates a little higher. Why don't you do that?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I don’t like having what I had for me taken from me and then some jackass saying it is better for me because because that same mindless idiot wants me to pay for other people’s stuff.

Not now, not ever.
So you have no car insurance or home owner insurance?....If you do then horrors, you are paying for other peoples stuff.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:19 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you have no car insurance or home owner insurance?....If you do then horrors, you are paying for other peoples stuff.
Voluntarily, not as a mandate. Big difference.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You could also afford buying everyone a new home and new car if you set your tax rates a little higher. Why don't you do that?
What's your point? Do you think the government should be Santa?...I thought we were talking about insurance here.

In Canada health care is a right, cars, homes and other material things are not...Use your brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies