Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 PM

32,131 posts, read 15,120,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So we have a choice between potentially having heavier kids who can be guided to make better eating decisions, and having hungry kids who can't stay awake in class because the food sucks. Our country is already about the lowest you can get among advanced nations in terms of education, Mrs. Obama's school lunch thing just pushed us even lower.
We don’t need to raise picky snowflakes. You eat what’s in front of you. Many were brought up like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,402,773 times
If you're going to government schools your mind is going to rot anyway. Might as well go down with the ship.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:18 PM

18,060 posts, read 27,510,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most sack lunches from home are also thrown in the trashcan, by students who have enough money in their pockets to buy junk food at school.
So who's got the guts here to say the kids are not always the victims here?

Too many individuals here don't have the commom sense to not stick a smoke-stick in their own mouths. What makes us think they are willing to make premium choices with our children's nutrition?

Garbage food is cheap and easy to keep preserved. The day we start seeing healthy food distributed from fast food joints, gas stations, and in more than about 5% of our own grocery stores, I see no hope.

Watching the news this evening, after returning home from a 15 hour shift, let's see what we adults are stuffing our pieholes with, shall we? Broncos stadium, 5 worst, Pepsi Center, 7th worst, and Coors field, 9th worst.

So what seems to be the problem with their already garbage food?

Bottomless popcorn-7.00
Nachos -5.00
Cracker Jack- 4.50
Peanuts- 4.25
Pretzel -4.25
Cheese cup- 2.00

So what other problems with these gourmet selections?

Oh, how about... Black mold in ice machines, rodent dung, dead and live mice, and cockroaches.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-14-2018 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So we have a choice between potentially having heavier kids who can be guided to make better eating decisions, and having hungry kids who can't stay awake in class because the food sucks. Our country is already about the lowest you can get among advanced nations in terms of education, Mrs. Obama's school lunch thing just pushed us even lower.
How did increasing nutrition in school lunches "push us lower"? That makes no sense. If kids refuse to drink unsweetened milk you think we should just throw a bottle of chocolate milk at them so that they can stay awake during class? A lot of school lunches both those provided by the school and food brought from home goes uneaten because kids want to rush through lunch and go outside and play. I did it when I was a kid, my own kids did it and now my grandson does it. Maybe it would be better to give kids two or three breaks during the day for fruits, vegetables and yogurt and forego the trip to the cafeteria.

Trump didn't do this to make america great again, he did it because his friends in the food industry pushed him to do it. They are the ones who want our kids to grow up eating empty calories and loving every minute of it.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,602,132 times
I'm sorry, but "great again?"

I can't remember most school food ever being great. When I was growing up, most of it was greasy, overcooked (especially the vegetables), and utterly devoid of flavor. It would be wonderful to return to the good old days, if only they existed.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:48 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We don’t need to raise picky snowflakes. You eat what’s in front of you. Many were brought up like this.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:26 AM

30,519 posts, read 19,271,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Vj87eZJNg

Trump Just Made School Lunches Great Again! Michelle Obama DEVASTATED
Not sure how to do it but we need to provide healthier foods for our young school kids. I doubt Mooch knew anything much about nutrition but I did support the effort to make school lunches healthier.

Seriously, we need to teach and practice good nutrition in the USA.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
It is always interesting to watch the people of personal responsibility abdicate teaching nutrition to our children.

The feed them what they like instead of what they need crowd is amazing.

Check out what percentage of the nation's kids are on reduced and free lunch. If I'm buying, I get to decide what's good for them.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:34 AM

21,181 posts, read 19,792,767 times
Bring your own damn lunch. It’s not my job to feed other people’s kids. I couldn’t afford kids, so I didn’t have any. Don’t punish me for your mistakes.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Lunch Program
20 million free lunch
2 million reduced price ( 0.40)
8 million full price
4.9 billion lunches served annually

Breakfast
11.6 million free breakfast
0.8 million reduced price ( 0.30)
2.4 billion breakfasts served annually

The percentage of children who are overweight/ obese has more than trebled since the 70’s.

Reportedly, 60% of vegetables and 40% fruits are tossed in the garbage. Obviously, a heck of a lot of school- aged children are not hungry enough to eat what is offered.

If I were Nutrition Queen for a day, it would be oatmeal and fresh fruit for breakfast and omelets for lunch. Milk and water to drink.

That’s it. Don’t like it, byob or do without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies