Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Michelle Obama is beautiful and successful. She is on a successful book tour because adults respect her. She is successful on her own work and efforts. We can't say that about many first ladies.

Trump doesn't care if our kids are overweight like him. It does start at home so that responsibility stands. Trump is just trying to undo everything Obama create whether is good or bad. The perfect example is Betsy DeVos. She is a disaster for our education system. She is doing great harm to college campus regulations.

Everyone in Trump's administration will be gone soon. They are all resigning or fired. So much for his claim of hiring great people! Trump is a mess for America. The GOP is losing voters. The midterm results favoring Democrats spoke for itself. In January when Democrats take the house, checks and balances will be needed for the corrupt commander in chief.

Luckily, once Trump is out in 2 years the next president will reverse all the damage including climate change regulations, Treason Trump struck down. No worries, he will be out soon whether via Mueller and the SDNY or he will be voted out for doing a horrible job.
Wow--where to start with this mess...

Quote:
Michelle Obama is beautiful and successful.
A total matter of opinion.

Quote:
adults respect her.
Bigotry of low expectations. Of course, anyone who does not like Mooch, is branded a hate filled racist. The fact that that pig constantly brings up slavery as something she experienced shows her to be a manipulative shrew.

Quote:
She is successful on her own work and efforts. We can't say that about many first ladies.
Like Hilarity...oops I mean Hillary?

Quote:
Trump doesn't care if our kids are overweight like him.
Got some evidence? Or did you just pull this out of your azz?

Quote:
Everyone in Trump's administration will be gone soon.
If you consider 6 years as "soon"...

Quote:
In January when Democrats take the house, checks and balances will be needed for the corrupt commander in chief.
Yeah..good luck with that..the dumbocrats are already starting to implode from within, hell, they cant even agree on who the hell is going to be speaker..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:31 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
As far as healthy food is concerned, what I got in high school at the cafeteria was VERY healthy. It was the kind of balanced meal that would have been served by a good cook in a good home. Although there were often small deserts, I don't EVER remember getting "junk food" in the cafeteria. There was a full staff of trained cooks that made the meals each day onsite. I don't know if that changed later, but replacing it with carrot sticks, bean sprouts, and tofu is NOT the answer. That's just torture.

Oh, and I had to pay for that school lunch every day. No pay... no eat. Unless you brought a sack lunch or went to the nearby "Hi Spot" fast food place.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pizza or Spaghetti day was always to look forward to. The chicken fried steak with gravy and the homemade dinner rolls were to die for. We only got that like 4 times a year.
Turkey & dressing was pretty good too, with homemade dinner rolls.
Everything was home/handmade at my elementary school, in the late 60's early 70's
There were a few lunches I liked, and chicken fried steak was one of them, my favorite, in fact. Our school district was not good with pizza, it was awful. Same with pigs in a blanket - greasy pastry, and the hot dogs had a weird greenish-gray cast to them. I don't really remember what the spaghetti was like, so it must have been sort of "meh." Other than those horrible hot dogs and the pizza, the main thing I remember is the vegetables. They were always canned, overcooked, and mushy, which was a bummer, because I love vegetables, and loved most of them even as a child. It took years before I was willing to give spinach another go, and...what a surprise! It's one of my favorites now, although I still won't eat the canned version.

Was your school a small one? That may make a difference. I know cooking in quantity has to be a challenge, and keeping the food both fresh and hot even more so.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think this sentence encapsulates the root of the problem with liberals. This sentence perfectly illustrates what liberals believe the relationship between the citizenry and government should be: the government telling the citizenry what to do.

Specifically speaking to the point, the "government" (in this case school system) isn't supposed to be telling kids what to do, it is supposed to be teaching kids how to think logically for themselves and form opinions based on logical principles rather than emotional rants. It is supposed to be nurturing critical thinking skills. The government telling kids what to do (and what to think) is called indoctrination, not school.

Generally speaking to the point, the government is not supposed to be telling anyone what to do (other than not breaking laws). The government is supposed to be protecting the right of each citizen to make its OWN choices. That's called liberty.

(editor's note: in an attempt to not inflame the PC crowd, the pronoun "it" is gender neutral )
Well there is an obesity problem so you can make believe that logical thinking will magically kick in at some point or we can have some federal guidelines to address the growing problem. There is always the option to bring your own unhealthy lunch, their choice.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If a child is obese, it's not because of a single meal a day from school. Typical of the government control drones to take something and run with it.

A child who is obese is going to be obese no matter what you serve for lunch at school. It is not very easy for a child to be obese if the child is getting outside, playing, participating in gym in school, etc. If the child is obese, look to the parents, not the school lunch.

Friggin idiots.

My parents and my sister and me are the perfect examples...
My dad was never over weight until he got into his late 70's.
My mom was always thick, except pictures I saw before she got married and kids, but she was not skinny at all.
Now, I look just like my dad. still have my guns and 6-pack from my gymnast days. But as a kid, I was a chubby.
My sister looks just like my mom big and thick, and she has never had kids. But as a kid, she was skinny.

We all ate the same thing, until we became on our own, moving away from the parents. No one got more of a portion than the other. Well dad always got the biggest pork chop.

I eat and eat, and never gain weight. Just like my dad. My mom could look at a potato and gain weight.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:37 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I guarantee you as an adult if you were served the disgusting slop that Mrs. Obama forced on the schools, YOU wouldn't eat it either!

I said in the post you quoted, kids hate what they're being served because it's disgusting garbage, have you even seen what is being put on their trays lately? So they don't eat, so they don't have the fuel to function the rest of the day.

No one's complaining about unsweetened milk, it's largely the food items themselves, but even if you want to focus on the milk, it's because skim milk is sometimes the only option. Most kids have no problem with regular milk.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Kids have a set lunch time, and a set recess time, and even recess is just the elementary grades. Finishing early doesn't get you more time to play.
Michelle Obama's program provided guidelines that were aligned with what experts in children's nutrition recommend. She didn't provide recipes.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:38 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Anyone who thinks that obesity can simply be regulated away has rocks in their head.
I have always hated the fact that chocolate milk was available, but it always has been - at least as far back as my memory (Class of 63) serves me. But kids were not obese in my day, so that's not the problem, is it?
The real problem is lack of physical activity. And that has been building for a very long time.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Anyone who thinks that obesity can simply be regulated away has rocks in their head.
I have always hated the fact that chocolate milk was available, but it always has been - at least as far back as my memory (Class of 63) serves me. But kids were not obese in my day, so that's not the problem, is it?
The real problem is lack of physical activity. And that has been building for a very long time.
Here-Here!
Dilly Dilly

Old 12-15-2018, 09:43 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
So you are happy obesity will and unhealthy eating will continue?

Disappointing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-15-2018, 09:46 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Let them eat chips while thumbing and scrolling away on their cell phones. Let's make America obese!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies