Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:11 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times

Advertisements

All one need to do in order to understand parents today is walk down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.

They would be better off feeding the kids a Snickers bar for breakfast. They would get more protein. Pancakes/waffles are no better. Just flour and sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The oddest thing about this situation is that those who are arguing that the kids need more fat, sugar, and salt in their school lunches (which are subsidized by the government, i.e. the taxpayers) are likely the ones who would complain about someone using SNAP benefits to pay for soda, Doritos, or Twinkies.

If someone is grumbling about having their tax dollars go toward feeding kids, wouldn't they grumble more if the kids were eating pure junk rather than healthy foods? Apparently not, because a Black woman came up with the idea of offering healthier foods. Oh, the travesty!!
Ah, the race card is played. Get to demonize people who dare disagree with while simultaneously virtue-signaling the tribe.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Nothing odd about it. It was the pet project of a very intelligent and classy FLOTUS Michelle Obama and it just sticks in the craw of birthers.
A failed project. Let's not forget the kids hated the food and many meals were tossed into the trash. Her intentions were likely good, but it was a massive fail.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What's really ironic is that many of the same people who claim this is "government over-reach" believe that people who receive SNAP benefits should be limited to a designated list of foods.

Some of the things that SNAP recipients shouldn't be allowed to buy (according to them):
Soda,
Chips,
Fast food,

Exactly the same stuff they are advocating FOR in school lunches.

These thought processes are some level of insanity.
OK let me straighten you out here.

SNAP recipients: Are adults who are collecting money from the government. Therefore, the government has the right to exclude junk food from their benefits. They can still buy what they want and will eat - within reason. Waste of food is not an issue.

School kids: in theory, should be given only healthy food -- HOWEVER when that happens a lot of food winds up going to waste because the kids are forced to take food they will never eat.

You are comparing apples and Big Mac's here....the situations are not the same

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes indeed because it's wonderful to turn little kids into morbidly obese adults by stuffing them full of refined sugars and carbs and strawberry milk. What in the world are you even thinking?
Kids develop eating habits at home before they even enter school. So if they are morbidly obese and stuffing themselves full of refined sugars and carbs its not from one meal a day at school.
I realize school districts are different but the only change I saw in the school lunches was replacing flour with whole wheat, butter with soy butter, talking away salt, and 1% milk only. Oh and fruit for dessert. No more of those chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies.

So here is an example of the High school lunch for the week: Mon. Big Daddy's buffalo chicken WG pizza, Tue: Breaded chicken tenders, taco bar, Wed: Pulled pork loaded baked potato, Thurs: Buffalo wings/popcorn shrimp, Fri: Pizza WG. Salad bar is available everyday.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

I can use that hyperactivity to teach them something. The lazy mut won't go fetch the ball to save his life.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Kids develop eating habits at home before they even enter school. So if they are morbidly obese and stuffing themselves full of refined sugars and carbs its not from one meal a day at school.
I realize school districts are different but the only change I saw in the school lunches was replacing flour with whole wheat, butter with soy butter, talking away salt, and 1% milk only. Oh and fruit for dessert. No more of those chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies.

So here is an example of the High school lunch for the week: Mon. Big Daddy's buffalo chicken WG pizza, Tue: Breaded chicken tenders, taco bar, Wed: Pulled pork loaded baked potato, Thurs: Buffalo wings/popcorn shrimp, Fri: Pizza WG. Salad bar is available everyday.
That sounds awesome.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I suspect there is variation between school districts. I remember seeing pictures of the new, healthier lunches. A few looked awful, but many of them looked very fresh and tasty, at least to me.

I agree that kids' eating habits are formed primarily in the home, but in a way, that is even more of an argument for including whole grains, fresh fruit, and more veg in the lunches. Those lunches may be the only exposure to such foods some kids ever get.

I'm not saying the plan was perfect - no plan ever is. Nevertheless, it's kind of hard for me to understand the level of hostility some people have expressed toward Mrs. Obama over this program.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Better than it being thrown in the trashcan.
You can always pack your kids lunch, or take him/her lunch everyday.
You could do that before.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Originally Posted by TigerLily24
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I can use that hyperactivity to teach them something. The lazy mut won't go fetch the ball to save his life.

Less sugar in childrens diets..... Ya, lets dumb them down, when their brains are craving it... literally
Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body.
Only after adolescence does it become a bad thing and causes cells to age. Not to mention diabetics.

Sugar and the Brain | Department of Neurobiology
“The brain is dependent on sugar as its main fuel,”

Brain functions such as thinking, memory, and learning are closely linked to glucose levels and how efficiently the brain uses this fuel source. If there isn’t enough glucose in the brain, for example, neurotransmitters, the brain’s chemical messengers, are not produced and communication between neurons breaks down. In addition, hypoglycemia, a common complication of diabetes caused by low glucose levels in the blood, can lead to loss of energy for brain function and is linked to poor attention and cognitive function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies