Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've tried it, in a restaurant.

Honestly, trying to make healthier versions of "unhealthy" foods doesn't usually work well when it comes to taste.

Just give them very small portions of the real thing along with lots of fruits and veggies.

That said, I remember the school pizza when I was a kid during the Clinton and Bush Jr days, and even back then the pizza was god awful. It was like eating a soggy sponge.
Sounds like the same pizza as in the Johnson-Nixon era. How is it possible to make consistently soggy pizza?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:04 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you're going to government schools your mind is going to rot anyway. Might as well go down with the ship.
I don't see any inherent truth in this - teaching values of honesty, fairness, and respect, doesn't qualify as indoctrination imo.

Preaching that your mind is going to rot for attending state run schools, is more like indoctrination

Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Plus the sugar the brain needs it glucose. Every carb you eat breaks down to glucose. Kids don't need sodas for a healthy brain. Broccoli works just as well. It would be one thing if they just needed calories but, yeah, that's not that big a problem. Malnutrition, sure, but not a lack of calories.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 AM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
I've tried it, in a restaurant.

Honestly, trying to make healthier versions of "unhealthy" foods doesn't usually work well when it comes to taste.

Just give them very small portions of the real thing along with lots of fruits and veggies.

That said, I remember the school pizza when I was a kid during the Clinton and Bush Jr days, and even back then the pizza was god awful. It was like eating a soggy sponge.
Oh yeah, I remember those. They basically took a Hoagie roll, mixed up some tomato paste and tomatoe sauce and laddled it on the top, let it sit for long enough to get extra soggy, sprinkled some cheese and pepperoni on top and stuck it in an oven long enough to melt half of the cheese. Yum! The sad thing is it actually one of the more edible things they served. Closest thing to a vegetable were brown string beans you had to eat with a spoon. If you tried to use a fork they just fell apart.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Reality Check - we've seen pictures of the actual school lunches. Often moldy, unappealing, mush, colorless, yeck, food that would make you sick.

Stuff that the Obamas would refuse to eat.

Oh, but her own daughters' lunch at the private school seemed delicious. Maybe they should have used THAT menu. Kids would love it.
Can we see these pictures you speak of?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Hyperactivity doesn't work well in a classroom setting.
One day they will figure out, boys learn differently than the passive girls.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
"Corn nuggets"? I have never heard of that. Is it something new?
Been around a while. Not something I would eat. Why not just corn?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Originally Posted by TigerLily24
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

Originally Posted by BentBow

Less sugar in childrens diets..... Ya, lets dumb them down, when their brains are craving it... literally
Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body.
Only after adolescence does it become a bad thing and causes cells to age. Not to mention diabetics.

Sugar and the Brain | Department of Neurobiology
“The brain is dependent on sugar as its main fuel,”

Brain functions such as thinking, memory, and learning are closely linked to glucose levels and how efficiently the brain uses this fuel source. If there isn’t enough glucose in the brain, for example, neurotransmitters, the brain’s chemical messengers, are not produced and communication between neurons breaks down. In addition, hypoglycemia, a common complication of diabetes caused by low glucose levels in the blood, can lead to loss of energy for brain function and is linked to poor attention and cognitive function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I can only assume that you did not read the entire article, as it also said that too much sugar is unhealthy.

In your haste to criticize, you missed it.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
"Corn nuggets"? I have never heard of that. Is it something new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Been around a while. Not something I would eat. Why not just corn?

They are a bit like really tender/moist hush puppies, with whole kernels of corn added to the batter. I would not eat them every day, nor would I really consider them a vegetable dish, but they are tasty if they're done right. Nutritionally, I would put them right up there with fried pickles and apple fritters: a treat, not a staple.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:25 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not sure how to do it but we need to provide healthier foods for our young school kids. I doubt Mooch knew anything much about nutrition but I did support the effort to make school lunches healthier.

Seriously, we need to teach and practice good nutrition in the USA.
You can teach it all day long at school but if the parents are feeding them junk at home, it won't make a difference. Most parents want to get something easy and feed their kids fast food. How many people do you know who cook anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies