Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:26 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Originally Posted by TigerLily24
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

Less sugar in childrens diets..... Ya, lets dumb them down, when their brains are craving it... literally
Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body.
Only after adolescence does it become a bad thing and causes cells to age. Not to mention diabetics.

Sugar and the Brain | Department of Neurobiology
“The brain is dependent on sugar as its main fuel,”

Brain functions such as thinking, memory, and learning are closely linked to glucose levels and how efficiently the brain uses this fuel source. If there isn’t enough glucose in the brain, for example, neurotransmitters, the brain’s chemical messengers, are not produced and communication between neurons breaks down. In addition, hypoglycemia, a common complication of diabetes caused by low glucose levels in the blood, can lead to loss of energy for brain function and is linked to poor attention and cognitive function.
And right after your "The brain is dependent on sugar as its main fuel" quote, the article says:

"Although the brain needs glucose, too much of this energy source can be a bad thing. A 2012 study in animals by researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles indicated a positive relationship between the consumption of fructose, another form of sugar, and the aging of cells, while a 2009 study, also using an animal model, conducted by a team of scientists at the University of Montreal and Boston College, linked excess glucose consumption to memory and cognitive deficiencies."

Glucose is not the same as sucrose (common table sugar) which is what a lot of these foods use. Trying to simplify it to the soundbite of "Kids need sugar" dangerously ignores the actual details of the kinds, how much, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not sure how to do it but we need to provide healthier foods for our young school kids. I doubt Mooch knew anything much about nutrition but I did support the effort to make school lunches healthier.

Seriously, we need to teach and practice good nutrition in the USA.
Why are you so eager to assume she knows nothing about it? I don't understand that at all - supporting the effort but attacking the one who initiated it? Is it that hard to admit you might actually agree with her about something?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Originally Posted by BentBow
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

Less sugar in childrens diets..... Ya, lets dumb them down, when their brains are craving it... literally
Because the brain is so rich in nerve cells, or neurons, it is the most energy-demanding organ, using one-half of all the sugar energy in the body.
Only after adolescence does it become a bad thing and causes cells to age. Not to mention diabetics.

Brain functions such as thinking, memory, and learning are closely linked to glucose levels and how efficiently the brain uses this fuel source. If there isn’t enough glucose in the brain, for example, neurotransmitters, the brain’s chemical messengers, are not produced and communication between neurons breaks down. In addition, hypoglycemia, a common complication of diabetes caused by low glucose levels in the blood, can lead to loss of energy for brain function and is linked to poor attention and cognitive function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
And right after your "The brain is dependent on sugar as its main fuel" quote, the article says:

"Although the brain needs glucose, too much of this energy source can be a bad thing. A 2012 study in animals by researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles indicated a positive relationship between the consumption of fructose, another form of sugar, and the aging of cells, while a 2009 study, also using an animal model, conducted by a team of scientists at the University of Montreal and Boston College, linked excess glucose consumption to memory and cognitive deficiencies."

Harvard is contradicting Montreal & Boston.. is that what you are pointing to?
Or are they saying, your brain knows when it needs energy! Give me some sugar, I'm craving it, is a good sign you may be low blood sugar.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:37 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
My daughter knew something was up with her new born when he was 2 days old. Swaddled, he went from one end of the crib to the other, frequently.

By 4, there was no denying it. By 5 he was diagnosed Dyslexic ADHD. Diet had not one thing to with it. She watch his diet from day one. As a preschool teacher she had observed kids and what they eat for years.

Much development and learning take place before kids ever get to school. I'd be monitoring sugar and empty calories, all day every day before birth and beyond.

Most everything turns into sugar when digested. Everything turns into sugar in your body. doesn't mean ya have to eat cane sugar.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Damn, I had to get a glazed doughnut!

Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You can teach it all day long at school but if the parents are feeding them junk at home, it won't make a difference. Most parents want to get something easy and feed their kids fast food. How many people do you know who cook anymore?
have you got some data on that?

I ask because a quick look at any supermarket in my region and you will find very large fresh produce departments.....

In fact those who invest in consumer staples would likely be very happy to walk you though the changes seen in food consumption ... Lower sales of highly processed foods, lower sales of canned foods and increasing sales of basic ingredients, fresh produce, organic foods etc....

The trend is clear simply by looking at supermarket remodels , they are expanding the fresh produce areas for the last decade. They are cutting canned goods , shelf stable meals etc.... why? well younger folk have not been buying them...

and again ...Trump's debasing of lunch meals cannot be spun into a win for the US. It is just Trump trying to attack what he believes is liberal.... (ie healthier food for kids). Trump is trying to shore up his eroding base and this type of stuff is all he can come up with...

Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Oh yeah, I remember those. They basically took a Hoagie roll, mixed up some tomato paste and tomatoe sauce and laddled it on the top, let it sit for long enough to get extra soggy, sprinkled some cheese and pepperoni on top and stuck it in an oven long enough to melt half of the cheese. Yum! The sad thing is it actually one of the more edible things they served. Closest thing to a vegetable were brown string beans you had to eat with a spoon. If you tried to use a fork they just fell apart.
Oh I think I remember those green beans...and mushy grainy apples that were brown and almost mouldy.

Talk about teaching kids to not like fruits and veggies!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Originally Posted by BentBow
This.

It's the American way.

Harvard is contradicting Montreal & Boston.. is that what you are pointing to?
Or are they saying, your brain knows when it needs energy! Give me some sugar, I'm craving it, is a good sign you may be low blood sugar.
The types of sugar matter, though. The kids can get their awesome brain building glucose from fruit just fine, for example. It doesnt have to be chocolate milk or anything like that.

We should still keep working on healthier lunches and find ways to make it work, not just give up and sell out to the companies who want to get their less healthy foods in schools.

"A healthy balanced diet for kids over 2 years old should include 50% to 60% of calories coming from carbohydrates. The key is to make sure that the majority of these carbs come from good sources and that added sugar is limited."

https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/sugar.html

Last edited by latimeria; 12-17-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 02:05 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
have you got some data on that?

I ask because a quick look at any supermarket in my region and you will find very large fresh produce departments.....

In fact those who invest in consumer staples would likely be very happy to walk you though the changes seen in food consumption ... Lower sales of highly processed foods, lower sales of canned foods and increasing sales of basic ingredients, fresh produce, organic foods etc....

The trend is clear simply by looking at supermarket remodels , they are expanding the fresh produce areas for the last decade. They are cutting canned goods , shelf stable meals etc.... why? well younger folk have not been buying them...

and again ...Trump's debasing of lunch meals cannot be spun into a win for the US. It is just Trump trying to attack what he believes is liberal.... (ie healthier food for kids). Trump is trying to shore up his eroding base and this type of stuff is all he can come up with...
That may be how it looks where you are sitting but I havent noticed any decline in the variety of prepackaged processed food, chips, sodas, breads, pastries, microwaveable dinners. We have younger employees (under 30) since many of us old timers have moved on and I see lunches consisting of hot dogs, and any prepackaged lunches and leftover takeout. That's what younger folks are eating.

Just because groceries have a large fresh produce department doesn't mean that is what kids are eating. A lot of families have kids that participate in sports and other school activities that keep them on the go go go. Too often you grab fast food takeout or eat the awful concession food.

When ball season is upon us my kid dosen't get home until 6:30 if there is no games then it is 10:30-11:00. I leave work, barely stop home to check on animals then travel to where the game is or to pick him up after practice. So being gone from 6 a.m. to 11:00 pm. dosent leave time for a lot of healthy cooking. I cook a lot and my kid tries hard to eat healthy but sometime its just not possible.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Reality Check - we've seen pictures of the actual school lunches. Often moldy, unappealing, mush, colorless, yeck, food that would make you sick.

Stuff that the Obamas would refuse to eat.

Oh, but her own daughters' lunch at the private school seemed delicious. Maybe they should have used THAT menu. Kids would love it.
I looked at Sidwell's menu. I don't see many things that would appeal to the typical American child
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies