Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It's ONE MEAL each day. Kids can eat healthier before and after school.
For some kids lunch is the only healthy meal they eat. But I'm not sure what the obsession here is with the idea that we have to serve kids refined starches and sugar in their lunch. Do you really think that a kid is going to reject spaghetti because it's made with whole grain, or that they will refuse apple juice because the school doesn't serve root beer?

I do not understand the reasoning here unless it's really not about food at all, but rather trying to eliminate every single program that the Obama's had a part in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How did increasing nutrition in school lunches "push us lower"? That makes no sense. If kids refuse to drink unsweetened milk you think we should just throw a bottle of chocolate milk at them so that they can stay awake during class? A lot of school lunches both those provided by the school and food brought from home goes uneaten because kids want to rush through lunch and go outside and play. I did it when I was a kid, my own kids did it and now my grandson does it. Maybe it would be better to give kids two or three breaks during the day for fruits, vegetables and yogurt and forego the trip to the cafeteria.

Trump didn't do this to make america great again, he did it because his friends in the food industry pushed him to do it. They are the ones who want our kids to grow up eating empty calories and loving every minute of it.
This.

As for the nonsense about kids staying awake, I guess some think it's better to have kids hyperactive and unable to concentrate due to excess sugar, etc.
So, feed the kids cr*p food that gets them hyper, prescribe them drugs to calm them back down and then incarcerate them when they drop out and graduate to illegals and crime.

It's the American way.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's so weird to me that people are up in arms over kids being given healthy foods to eat. My own kids have been horribly abused since early childhood, I guess, because I always insisted that they have a fruit or a vegetable with each meal and didn't add sugar to their milk. Quick, call CPS! Maybe they can go live with someone who would give them a poptart for breakfast, a hot dog and a pile of Doritos for lunch, and pizza with chocolate cookies for dinner every day and call it good.
What's really ironic is that many of the same people who claim this is "government over-reach" believe that people who receive SNAP benefits should be limited to a designated list of foods.

Some of the things that SNAP recipients shouldn't be allowed to buy (according to them):
Soda,
Chips,
Fast food,

Exactly the same stuff they are advocating FOR in school lunches.

These thought processes are some level of insanity.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
The oddest thing about this situation is that those who are arguing that the kids need more fat, sugar, and salt in their school lunches (which are subsidized by the government, i.e. the taxpayers) are likely the ones who would complain about someone using SNAP benefits to pay for soda, Doritos, or Twinkies.

If someone is grumbling about having their tax dollars go toward feeding kids, wouldn't they grumble more if the kids were eating pure junk rather than healthy foods? Apparently not, because a Black woman came up with the idea of offering healthier foods. Oh, the travesty!!
Great minds!

Old 12-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What's really ironic is that many of the same people who claim this is "government over-reach" believe that people who receive SNAP benefits should be limited to a designated list of foods.

Some of the things that SNAP recipients shouldn't be allowed to buy (according to them):
Soda,
Chips,
Fast food,

Exactly the same stuff they are advocating FOR in school lunches.

These thought processes are some level of insanity.
It just drips with hypocrisy doesn't it?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
https://www.latimes.com/business/laz...214-story.html

"In fact, these flexibilities make school lunches less healthy and cater to the interests of businesses that see heftier profits in mass-producing fattier, sweeter and saltier foods."
As much as I hate giving the Great Pumpkin credit, kids were not eating those awful lunches. I know because my kids would not eat them or left most uneaten.

Whole wheat pizza AYFKM!?! Even my pizza fanatic son would not eat that thing.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol Mrs. Obama can drown her sorrows at her and President Obama's favorite haunt, the Shake Shack--where, after one too many reports of their high-calorie, fat-laden favorites, staff were told not to divulge their orders.

Hypocrites, all of 'em.
There's nothing wrong with eating fat. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with treating oneself once in a while.

People who believe that one's diet must consist of low-fat, "Franken-foods" have been sold a bill of goods.

The obesity epidemic in this country is a direct result of the low-fat craze which did nothing but replace good fats with sugar.
And no amount of exercise will improve the health or lower the weight of people who don't eat real food.

It just won't.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
The oddest thing about this situation is that those who are arguing that the kids need more fat, sugar, and salt in their school lunches (which are subsidized by the government, i.e. the taxpayers) are likely the ones who would complain about someone using SNAP benefits to pay for soda, Doritos, or Twinkies.

If someone is grumbling about having their tax dollars go toward feeding kids, wouldn't they grumble more if the kids were eating pure junk rather than healthy foods? Apparently not, because a Black woman came up with the idea of offering healthier foods. Oh, the travesty!!
Nothing odd about it. It was the pet project of a very intelligent and classy FLOTUS Michelle Obama and it just sticks in the craw of birthers.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
And that's the bottom line right there, based on the thread title and posts like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bonzo maybe, if he didn't smoke so much, but Harambre's thunder thighs and fat back, scream a second helping at every meal.
Disgusting and disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think this sentence encapsulates the root of the problem with liberals. This sentence perfectly illustrates what liberals believe the relationship between the citizenry and government should be: the government telling the citizenry what to do.

Specifically speaking to the point, the "government" (in this case school system) isn't supposed to be telling kids what to do, it is supposed to be teaching kids how to think logically for themselves and form opinions based on logical principles rather than emotional rants. It is supposed to be nurturing critical thinking skills. The government telling kids what to do (and what to think) is called indoctrination, not school.
Why not let kids drive cars when they're 3 then? Teach them how to use those critical thinking skills!

Quote:
Oh, and I had to pay for that school lunch every day.
How lucky for you that your parents earned enough money to buy food for you. Other children are not that fortunate.

Quote:
I could live off from potato chips, chocolate milk, and McDonalds, and assuming I was getting sufficient exercise during my waking hours and getting a full eight hours of sleep each night, I wouldn't gain a pound. It's all about activity and calorie count, NOT carrot sticks.
There are more than a couple problems with this paragraph.

First, there have been countless studies that conclude that diet is more of a factor in obesity than exercise. Have you not heard the phrase "You can't outrun your fork"?

Second, living off McDonald's and chocolate milk wouldn't make you very healthy; you'd be missing out on key nutrients and fiber while ingesting entirely too much sugar and salt. There also have been countless studies on this topic. You can be thin and unhealthy.

Third, you're not 6 years old with a developing brain and body.

Fourth, it is about carrot sticks. Kids love vegetables if they're prepared and served appealingly. Bunches of studies on that topic as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
As much as I hate giving the Great Pumpkin credit, kids were not eating those awful lunches. I know because my kids would not eat them or left most uneaten.

Whole wheat pizza AYFKM!?! Even my pizza fanatic son would not eat that thing.
Have you even tried it, or do you know it's awful just because
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies