Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I looked at Sidwell's menu. I don't see many things that would appeal to the typical American child
Then all the kids I know are atypical.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 10:29 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
I don't get the deal with school lunch programs now.

I went to school in a small north midwestern town. School lunches to me were awesome. However, you could never admit that or it was terribly uncool. Instead we made the afternoon treck to Snack Shak to have a daily large fried roll and cherry coke. Snow was a blessing. It meant we were forced to stay at school and eat the lunches.

The school served home made bread, deserts, cookies, canned corn and veggies, various hamburger and chicken dishes and of course sloppy joe's. In high school we were under extreme peer pressure to be thin. This was a hard working farm town. Weight was hardly an issue at our school or the surrounding small towns. If you had any body part that looked larger than a twig, the high school kids would jeer and taunt the person mercilessly until the issue was resolved. It was too socially miserable to be anything but normal or below normal weight. Football and basketball were sports for those good at it. Track was the sport for everyone. Everyone did track (kept us all thin). But we did eat junk.

Did I mind the peer pressure? No. I thought it was normal. I just gave into it like everyone else and did not dare gain weight.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

I went to school in a small north midwestern town. School lunches to me were awesome. However, you could never admit that or it was terribly uncool. Instead we made the afternoon treck to Snack Shak to have a daily large fried roll and cherry coke. Snow was a blessing. It meant we were forced to stay at school and eat the lunches.

The school served home made bread, deserts, cookies, canned corn and veggies, various hamburger and chicken dishes and of course sloppy joe's. In high school we were under extreme peer pressure to be thin. This was a hard working farm town. Weight was hardly an issue at our school or the surrounding small towns. If you had any body part that looked larger than a twig, the high school kids would jeer and taunt the person mercilessly until the issue was resolved. It was too socially miserable to be anything but normal or below normal weight. Football and basketball were sports for those good at it. Track was the sport for everyone. Everyone did track (kept us all thin). But we did eat junk.

Did I mind the peer pressure? No. I thought it was normal. I just gave into it like everyone else and did not dare gain weight.
The illegal aliens come here as a twig and blow up!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then all the kids I know are atypical.
Us, too.

My kids and grandkids would love those lunches.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:04 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

My schools lunches were yucky, but back then I didnt eat lunch anyway (except when they had cardboard pizza, corn, a small salad and those yummy chocolate no bake oatmeal cookies). The cool kids were out back smoking in the designated smoking area that was next to to the area where we traded pocket knives, next to the parking lot where riffles and shotguns were in full view on gun racks in the back window of trucks during hunting season.

Weight wasn't an issue either because we were active. Id dare say our meals at home were more nutritious than the school lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies