Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think that whole grains and fresh fruit and vegetables are disgusting, that's what we eat in my home. But rather than make a claim like that, why don't you find the school lunch menu for the school district where you live and point out to us what exactly is disgusting and what you would replace it with? Maybe you think school lunches should be replaced with McDonald's and Taco Bell food?
Would love to know too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Vj87eZJNg

Trump Just Made School Lunches Great Again! Michelle Obama DEVASTATED

Newsflash! School lunches have NEVER been great.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I saw something a while back about a poor area where the school kids grew their own food and ate it fresh from the garden.New York?
The schools my grandkids went to had gardens. The kids studied what grew in the area, planted and harvested their veggies. Then made their lunch from their own garden.

There is a high dollar camp in Vermont that teaches kids to farm and all about staying alive in the wilderness. It's full of NYC kids. They go out a couple of days in the mountains with nothing but a canteen. They go up at spring break to do the planting. The care for the farm and harvest what the grew. That veggie pizza I had for lunch was really good.

These people who feed kids what they want rather than teaching the kids about nutrition are derelict in their role as parents and teachers.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So you are happy obesity will and unhealthy eating will continue?

Disappointing.
Schools typically serve 180 of the (3X365) 1095 meals consumed each year.

In the first place, those 180 meals are not going to change eating habits of anyone.
In the second place, just because students like the meals do not make them bad. The old nutritionists rules that worked for so many years are still in place.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pizza or Spaghetti day was always to look forward to. The chicken fried steak with gravy and the homemade dinner rolls were to die for. We only got that like 4 times a year.
Turkey & dressing was pretty good too, with homemade dinner rolls.
Everything was home/handmade at my elementary school, in the late 60's early 70's
I'm a school cafeteria cook. The school lunch guidelines have been tricky to maneuver...we've had to make a LOT of changes...but we still serve homemade dinner rolls every week. Whole grain flour, of course. We also make our own sandwich buns out of same. We serve school made stromboli, school made burritos, country fried steak, pasta bar, and school made pizza. We also have a salad bar with all the fixings. This is available with all lunch entrees, unlimited. Gone are the hot dog bar, taco bar, slushy machine, and nachos bar. We still sell pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, and french fries ala carte (cash only). The fries are now baked, we had to get rid of our deep fryer.

With all the food options, there is no reason for any of the kids to go hungry. We still have low fat chocolate milk in addition to the fat free and 1 percent...we got rid of the strawberry milk (not due to dietary guidelines, it just wasn't popular with the students).

Sadly, the kids (and teachers) do miss our school made-from-scratch cookies. We had to substitute them with a frozen ready to bake brand that meets the dietary guidelines. They aren't nearly as good!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-15-2018 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The oddest thing about this situation is that those who are arguing that the kids need more fat, sugar, and salt in their school lunches (which are subsidized by the government, i.e. the taxpayers) are likely the ones who would complain about someone using SNAP benefits to pay for soda, Doritos, or Twinkies.

If someone is grumbling about having their tax dollars go toward feeding kids, wouldn't they grumble more if the kids were eating pure junk rather than healthy foods? Apparently not, because a Black woman came up with the idea of offering healthier foods. Oh, the travesty!!
Yep, that's what I was thinking last night. I see people in this forum going on and on about what SNAP lets you buy, but here it's all "Let the kids eat whatever".

Changes could be gradual if needed to make it not as "shocking", so to speak. But to just give up and bring on the unhealthy options galore is asinine.

I would love to see more school gardens; kids are more likely to try veggies if they have a hand in helping to grow them, as well as a host of other benefits.

I also found this:
"Kids, in short, are much more likely to eat their vegetable portion when it's paired with a food that isn't so delicious it gets all the attention. When chicken nuggets and burgers, the most popular items among schoolchildren, are on the menu, for instance, vegetable waste tends to rise significantly. When other less-beloved foods, like deli sliders or baked potatoes, are served, the opposite seems to happen."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d91c695d2e72

Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well there is an obesity problem so you can make believe that logical thinking will magically kick in at some point or we can have some federal guidelines to address the growing problem. There is always the option to bring your own unhealthy lunch, their choice.
It's not up to a federal guideline. It's up to parents to either be smart enough to raise their children properly or smart enough to not have children in the first place. Perhaps a federal guideline on sterilization of imbeciles would solve the problem?

Sarcasm aside, it's not a problem with school lunches. It's a problem with the general habits and physical activity of the entire population on the whole. We have automated our health away. So keep on dinking with your smartphone all day, drive around in your car all day, sit in your cubicle all day, and sit on your duff gaming all day... and then wonder why people gain too much weight.

I could live off from potato chips, chocolate milk, and McDonalds, and assuming I was getting sufficient exercise during my waking hours and getting a full eight hours of sleep each night, I wouldn't gain a pound. It's all about activity and calorie count, NOT carrot sticks.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-15-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Wow--where to start with this mess...

A total matter of opinion.

Bigotry of low expectations. Of course, anyone who does not like Mooch, is branded a hate filled racist. The fact that that pig constantly brings up slavery as something she experienced shows her to be a manipulative shrew.

Like Hilarity...oops I mean Hillary?

Got some evidence? Or did you just pull this out of your azz?

If you consider 6 years as "soon"...

Yeah..good luck with that..the dumbocrats are already starting to implode from within, hell, they cant even agree on who the hell is going to be speaker..
I know it's a matter of opinion but her success is not. It is a matter of opinion about most forms of beauty standards. But the cultist Trump supporters are disgusting with their comments about her yet believe Melania is the standard of beauty. Trump is not a looker by any means. That one is not an opinion. Again, most standards of beauty are a matter of opinion.

Cultist Trump supporters are given evidence every day about his lies, corruption, and misconduct but still, deny and deflect so I won't waste my time on that. Trump supporters are labeled as the fact-denying supporters.

Trump supporters are so desperate since the midterms they will do anything include bashing folks, Mueller, McCain, Flake, SDNY, FBI, Rosenstein etc, on both sides trying to make a difference. They will gerrymander, suppress and reduce the voter's voice to win an election. We see it all over the country including in my home state of Michigan. The right will continue to lose voters as long as they support Treasonous Trump. The midterm and Trump's approval rating spelled it out loud and clear

But Trump's presidency has turned out to be what most DEMOCRATS predicted. The swamp that won't drain.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Schools typically serve 180 of the (3X365) 1095 meals consumed each year.

In the first place, those 180 meals are not going to change eating habits of anyone.
In the second place, just because students like the meals do not make them bad. The old nutritionists rules that worked for so many years are still in place.
Perfect, so I guess it's fine for kids to have lays potato chips and soda for dinner, after all that's only 1/3 of the meals they consume in a day

Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
180 meals per year will not ruin anyone's life. The original rules of nutrition will still apply.
Undoing everything Obama is still the first job of the GOP. It's why they were elected and it's what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies