Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:32 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
For 1, its not the role of the federal government to tell parents what to feed their kids, 2, Schools should not be threatened with loss of funds if a local school district refuses.
3.but if these parents are on government aid have you seen what they feed their kids if they do at all? Here in Portsmouth Ohio this meal at breakfast or lunch time is the ONLY MEAL they really get!
Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Given government is paying for 73% of all lunches, think it appropriate for government to have a say.
that’s an incredibly sad statistic.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 AM

I saw something a while back about a poor area where the school kids grew their own food and ate it fresh from the garden.New York?

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I guarantee you as an adult if you were served the disgusting slop that Mrs. Obama forced on the schools, YOU wouldn't eat it either! I said in the post you quoted, kids hate what they're being served because it's disgusting garbage, have you even seen what is being put on their trays lately? So they don't eat, so they don't have the fuel to function the rest of the day.
No one's complaining about unsweetened milk, it's largely the food items themselves, but even if you want to focus on the milk, it's because skim milk is sometimes the only option. Most kids have no problem with regular milk.
I don't think that whole grains and fresh fruit and vegetables are disgusting, that's what we eat in my home. But rather than make a claim like that, why don't you find the school lunch menu for the school district where you live and point out to us what exactly is disgusting and what you would replace it with? Maybe you think school lunches should be replaced with McDonald's and Taco Bell food?

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
https://www.latimes.com/business/laz...214-story.html

"In fact, these flexibilities make school lunches less healthy and cater to the interests of businesses that see heftier profits in mass-producing fattier, sweeter and saltier foods."
Herein lies the problem. Busybodies running other people's lives.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Given government is paying for 73% of all lunches, think it appropriate for government to have a say. The percentage of overweight/ obese children has trebled since the 70’s..
The government isn't paying for crap.

It's the taxpayers who support those schools who are paying for it. Government bureaucrats have no right to tell those parents what to feed their kids. It should be left to the decisions of the local school systems.

Scrapping Obama's idiotic school lunch menu is a very good start for it.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I saw something a while back about a poor area where the school kids grew their own food and ate it fresh from the garden.New York?
Sounds like some utopian cartoon or a sharecropper farm.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
It's so weird to me that people are up in arms over kids being given healthy foods to eat. My own kids have been horribly abused since early childhood, I guess, because I always insisted that they have a fruit or a vegetable with each meal and didn't add sugar to their milk. Quick, call CPS! Maybe they can go live with someone who would give them a poptart for breakfast, a hot dog and a pile of Doritos for lunch, and pizza with chocolate cookies for dinner every day and call it good.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
For 1, its not the role of the federal government to tell parents what to feed their kids, 2, Schools should not be threatened with loss of funds if a local school district refuses.
Federal Government pays for 73% of the school lunch program. Some might argue that it’s not the government’s job to feed people’s kids. That has not however stopped the Federal Government from doing so.

The School Lunch Program became law 72 years ago, in 1946. Most states already had some semblance of lunch programs in place. In part, the purpose was for the Federal Government to prop up food prices by absorbing farm surpluses. This is why food programs are joined at the hip to farm subsidies.

Nothing precludes a child from bringing lunch from home.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds like some utopian cartoon or a sharecropper farm.
When you are hungry get back with me.If you would look at my photo's there is a community garden they grow food to help the homeless,and those poor school kids or anyone else in need.
Your point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies