Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We don’t need to raise picky snowflakes. You eat what’s in front of you. Many were brought up like this.
I guarantee you as an adult if you were served the disgusting slop that Mrs. Obama forced on the schools, YOU wouldn't eat it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How did increasing nutrition in school lunches "push us lower"? That makes no sense.
I said in the post you quoted, kids hate what they're being served because it's disgusting garbage, have you even seen what is being put on their trays lately? So they don't eat, so they don't have the fuel to function the rest of the day.

Quote:
If kids refuse to drink unsweetened milk you think we should just throw a bottle of chocolate milk at them so that they can stay awake during class?
No one's complaining about unsweetened milk, it's largely the food items themselves, but even if you want to focus on the milk, it's because skim milk is sometimes the only option. Most kids have no problem with regular milk.

Quote:
A lot of school lunches both those provided by the school and food brought from home goes uneaten because kids want to rush through lunch and go outside and play.
That makes no sense whatsoever. Kids have a set lunch time, and a set recess time, and even recess is just the elementary grades. Finishing early doesn't get you more time to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:07 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We have an obesity problem in our country with adults and kids. This causes our healthcare rates to increase. Sorry, we shouldn’t cater to what kids want to eat in schools. If they don’t like it, then don’t eat it.
So the "government" should tells us what kids (and adults) can and cannot eat?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
When taxpayers are subsidizing the meals -- yes.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
When at home eat what you want and feed your kid garbage. That`ll serve the purpose of keeping him out of the military if nothing else.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:15 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How did increasing nutrition in school lunches "push us lower"? That makes no sense. If kids refuse to drink unsweetened milk you think we should just throw a bottle of chocolate milk at them so that they can stay awake during class? A lot of school lunches both those provided by the school and food brought from home goes uneaten because kids want to rush through lunch and go outside and play. I did it when I was a kid, my own kids did it and now my grandson does it. Maybe it would be better to give kids two or three breaks during the day for fruits, vegetables and yogurt and forego the trip to the cafeteria.

Trump didn't do this to make america great again, he did it because his friends in the food industry pushed him to do it. They are the ones who want our kids to grow up eating empty calories and loving every minute of it.
For 1, its not the role of the federal government to tell parents what to feed their kids, 2, Schools should not be threatened with loss of funds if a local school district refuses.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I guarantee you as an adult if you were served the disgusting slop that Mrs. Obama forced on the schools, YOU wouldn't eat it either!
So fruit and vegetables are "disgusting slop" in your estimation? I'm curious how much you weigh...

Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times
American cheese is just one compound away from being plastic .... grilled cheese samwich anyone?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:23 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
... and saltier foods."
You do realize that salt is a required substance for us humans, if we wish to continue living, right?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You do realize that salt is a required substance for us humans, if we wish to continue living, right?
In highly limited quantities......

One can easily ingest an acutely lethal amount of salt....

Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Given government is paying for 73% of all lunches, think it appropriate for government to have a say. The percentage of overweight/ obese children has trebled since the 70’s.

Nothing precludes students from bringing their own lunch from home.

Nothing precludes a parent from delivering a Happy Meal ( you can swap the sliced apples for a larger serving of fries) or equivalent to the school and some do.

A handful of school districts opted out of the Obama- era legislation and in doing so did not recieve federal funding for free/ reduced priced meals. While I don’t necessarily agree, I respect that they cut the financial tie that bound them to the Federal Guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies