Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 11:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are confusing private with public, she is being paid by the school district on a contract so these are state funds paid for by taxpayers. All contractors for state and federal need to comply with their regulations and laws, none of which is giving up free speech.
Do the people that instruct and attend have free speech, while on school campus, without fear of punishment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:41 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I asked for a source regarding your assertion that she has not been paying her taxes for a few years there.

I also asked for a source regarding your assertion that Muslims don't pay income taxes or interest.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I asked for a source regarding your assertion that she has not been paying her taxes for a few years there.

I also asked for a source regarding your assertion that Muslims don't pay income taxes or interest.
https://www.kxan.com/

Old 12-19-2018, 11:49 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
She is a teacher. She lives in TX. She got fired, canned, her contract not renewed (all mean the same damn thing when you no longer have your job). It IS a pro Israel oath in that it forces her to support Israel in order to keep her job. It tells her that she has to agree not to boycott products from Isreal. That is "pro Israel" and that is an oath.

I don't care if you like the title, the fact remains, the government has no business telling people who they can and cannot boycott.
Have you ever signed a pre-emploment or even a yearly policy agreement with your employer? I have to sign an agreement to not sexually harass my co-workers based on absolutely no evidence of this in my past. If I had refused to sign it, I would have been let go. Full disclosure, I currently work for the government.

That being said, I'm not really sure that this language should be in this contract. The fact that it is policy should be enough and when they tell her she must use language translation software from Israel, the ball will be in her court.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Have you ever signed a pre-emploment or even a yearly policy agreement with your employer? I have to sign an agreement to not sexually harass my co-workers based on absolutely no evidence of this in my past. If I had refused to sign it, I would have been let go. Full disclosure, I currently work for the government.

That being said, I'm not really sure that this language should be in this contract. The fact that it is policy should be enough and when they tell her she must use language translation software from Israel, the ball will be in her court.

You mean you don't have a 1st, amendment to ask your co-worker for a BJ in the bathroom? Or tell the girl at the next desk she has a nice ass?
Neither are a threat, slander, defamation or discrimination.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
I hope this goes all the way to SCOTUS and the law is declared Unconstitutional. It's a load of crapola.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:04 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
?

Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
An independent contractor cannot be contracted to compelled speech by a public entity. Period. That's unconstitutional.
Government does it all the time, in Public schools.
Cite examples.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is why:

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaust...cotting-israel

This is the kind of Republican that I have no use for. This violates people's Constitutional rights, and has now cost this lady, who has done nothing wrong, her job. If she wants to boycott products from Israel, what fricken business is that of the U.S. government? It's NOT their damn business!
Which doesn't make sense. The law is about state agencies investing in and contracting with companies, not about employees of state agencies personal belief. Again, this is a state agency job. Anything that restricts speech there is very murky water due to 1st Amendment. The same grey water would apply to contracting and investments and the Texas law just may not hold up to legal scrutiny at all but that's not really the point.

It's one thing if the state agency is just following a possibly unconstitutional law. They're just in a bad spot there as until the law is challenged it's the law. But that isn't the case here. The school district was just unilaterally on its own regard apparently forcing employees to sign an oath. And then it goes even further down the rabbit hole. If they forced all employees to sign an oath opposing the Israel boycotts and fired everyone who didn't when renewing their contracts, that's one thing. If they singled out Muslim employees, however, then it's not murky waters and state agencies and 1st Amendment. It's clear cut racial discrimination. The sort of classic example of that is a private company can fire you for going to a Black Lives Matter rally as free speech is not a protected class. A state agency is in murky waters. But if they only fire black people who go to Black Lives Matters rally then it's no longer a free speech issue and becomes a racial discrimination issue which is a protected class.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

It's like you all didn't even read the article. Let me help you with that:

Quote:
Whether or not you agree with her political view about Israel and Palestine, every American with an even minimal belief in the value of free speech should be vocally denouncing the attack on Amawi’s free speech rights and other Americans who are being similarly oppressed by these Israel-protecting censorship laws in the U.S...

...The libertarian lawyer Walter Olson, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute’s Center for Constitutional Studies, similarly warned: “It is not a proper function of law to force Americans into carrying on foreign commerce they personally find politically objectionable, whether their reasons for reluctance be good, bad, or arbitrary.”
When the ACLU condemned those in Chicago politics trying to make problems for Chik Fil A based on their personal views, they said this:

Quote:
"We oppose using the power and authority of government to retaliate against those who express messages that are controversial or averse to the views of current office holders."
At first, the bill was going to make it a crime to boycott Israel. A fricken crime!

This was written last summer.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...ives-the-left/

Quote:
Sometimes in the course of our political life, someone proposes something so mind-bogglingly stupid that it’s hard to know exactly what to say about it. Senate Bill 720 is one of those things...

The American Civil Liberties Union opposes it. “This bill would impose civil and criminal punishment on individuals solely because of their political beliefs about Israel and its polices,” the organization writes in a letter to senators. The thrust of its criticism is simple. Many companies and individuals conduct no transactions with Israel, for lack of a need to; the bill would make illegal such an action only if it bears a political motivation. The bill therefore penalizes political beliefs and so is both unconstitutional and unconscionable.
This is the "watered down" version of the bill. On the watered down version, the ACLU had this to say:

Quote:
Last week, the ACLU’s Senior Legislative Counsel Kate Ruane explained why even the modified, watered-down, fully bipartisan version of the Israel oath bill pending in the U.S. Congress, and especially the already enacted bills in 26 states of the kind that just resulted in Amawi’s termination, are a direct violation of the most fundamental free speech rights:

This is a full-scale attack on Americans’ First Amendment freedoms. Political boycotts, including boycotts of foreign countries, have played a pivotal role in this nation’s history — from the boycotts of British goods during the American Revolution to the Montgomery Bus Boycott to the campaign to divest from apartheid South Africa. And in NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware, the Supreme Court made clear that the First Amendment protects the right to participate in political boycotts.
And just to remind you all, Glen Greenwald was a Constitutional lawyer for 10 years, and his own parents and grandparents are Jewish. But I'm supposed to take the word of some random people on this forum that it's a "whatever" thing to them. I think I'll stick with the Constitutional lawyer, especially one who has been more fair and balanced than almost any journalist or writer in the MSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies