Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times

Advertisements

Muslim Teacher In TX Fired After Refusing To Sign Pro Israel Oath

How could that even be legal?

Is this story on the up and up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 05:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree, I had no idea.

I can't imagine why anyone thought this would pass muster.

Because, there is a huge difference in employee and self employed.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
She was never employed by the school district as an employee. She has her own company and is self employed. Working on contract with the school district.
She made a business decision, not to sign the contract.
I don't sign contracts all the time for disputes in the scope, or there is no way I can handle what they are asking.
You have an unerring instinct for the irrelevant.

I am nearly as white bread as they come, and I would sure raise a stink if anyone tried to make me sign an agreement to support a foreign government, either as a condition of employment or a condition of doing business.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:32 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
They just had her on the 5-o`clock local news, before Abbott spoke about it. Whining for pity, and she was not shy about where she comes from and her deep deep hatred for Israel.
That doesn't make her Hamas. She is Palestinian, and had you watched the video I linked, she says that. She knows what Isreal does to Palestinians....it's so bad, this "Israel can do no wrong" baloney, that Israelis set up lawn chairs on the hills to watch the soldiers blast Palestinians...but you think that's okay, because "Hamas". Her being from there doesn't make her a Hamas terrorist. She has lived here for 30 fricken years. She's not that old, so she came here young.

This is the crap I'm talking about. Anytime Israel is mentioned, you get the same people who instantly tar anyone against what they do as either terrorists or anti-Semites, neither of which is the case in every single instance.

Here's the reality, BentBow: Israel is not the wonderful, nice country that you think it is. We are their little pets that they use to fight their wars. As has been mentioned numerous times on here, the lobbyists are very powerful, and they are all over in our government, in our entertainment, in our media - but instead of seeing what's going on, some people prefer to pull the wool down over their own eyes and bleat: "Israel can do no wrong!" Yes, they can, and they have.

The fact remains: This is a violation of our Constitutional rights. Anyone who is forced to sign a GD "oath to Israel" is having their rights violated.

I would refuse to sign an "oath to Israel". I don't live in fricken Israel, why the hell would I sign an oath to it? Who is in control of this country? Us, or Israel?

Quote:
In Texas, it is not based upon religion what so ever. It is done for safe unconflicted trade between the States. If you don't support the States trading partners, you cannot work for the state to avoid conflict.
It is not a right to work for government. It is actually a privilege to serve the public.
Her argument is based upon religion, and she is not shy about her hatred.
Yeah? Where's the required oath to all the other places we trade with? Surely if it's all about "safe, unconflicted trade", then she would have numerous pages of oaths to sign.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't know a single Jewish person in my personal circle, including myself and my Jewish-affiliated workplace, who isn't disgusted and horrified by this. I found out about this issue from my rather centrist synagogue decrying it.

I have spent time in Israel and have a home & kitchen filled with Israeli products, and under absolutely no circumstances would I sign any document that tried to frame my relationship with Israel, the US, or any other country. This is ridiculous.
Most people don’t share Sheldon Adelson’s passions and are beyond his influence.

Most people don’t trade with Israel.

And yet a majority of states have enacted a law or EO similar to Texas.

Does not matter if the state leans left or right or purple.

It’s disgusting.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:40 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I would refuse to sign an "oath to Israel". I don't live in fricken Israel, why the hell would I sign an oath to it? Who is in control of this country? Us, or Israel?

Nationality does not matter anymore, whoever pays the most money control laws and policies.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:41 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
She'll be counting her money, while the school district looks like a bunch of Nazi's.

I didn't know this stuff happened in America.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:47 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
An American has to sign pro Israel oath? Otherwise, lose her job? This is absurd.

Sure, one can support Israel, this is not the issue, but I cannot believe this actually happened in the United States, how absurd!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
When I moved to Florida and went to work for a Public School District, I was asked to sign a oath to the US Constitution. Ok, no problem. Then they also asked me to swear allegiance to the State of Florida's Constitution as well. No way. I am not swearing allegiance to one individual State. They told me no problem. Others had done the same.

This was about a year before Florida banned Gay Marriage in their State Constitution. I went to my daughter's Gay Wedding (legal) in NY. Fire me for not upholding their State Constitution? What if I was gay myself and wanted to marry in another state?????

Swear an oath to Israel, a foreign country? No way. That is even worse.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Heck, younger Americans Jews aren't even loyal to Israel - in fact, some polling shows they don't see the need for it!

As Israel turns 70, many young American Jews turn away

"For many, their problem with Israel is not just its current prime minister, its government’s policies and its nearly 51-year-long occupation of the West Bank. It is also Israel itself that they are uncomfortable with, specifically its identity as a Jewish state.

It is not only what Israel does that bothers them, but also what Israel is."

Actions like this somewhat reinforce that point of view. That's the problem with right wing and authoritarian politics and world views (BiBi is known as catering to the far right in Israel and elsewhere)...they end up creating the opposite from their goals because free, educated and liberal people don't like to be told who to bow to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies