Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Texas is not mentioned in there complaint. Only the school district.
Money all comes from the same place Mr small government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is a federal bill pending that will make it a crime to boycott Israel.
BDS is the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/o...rael-hate.html

I'm sure it will pass. The media won't mention it (as much as possible) because it is unconstitutional. But politicians will be happy to do it; after all free trips and money is more important than doing the right thing.
AIPAC takes newly elected Congress members, CNN’s Setmayer on propaganda trips to Israel
Most of politicians are already in their pockets, from the start they have all the required votes.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Money all comes from the same place Mr small government.
Nope, in this case a place much smaller than Texas

Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the OP’s second link:

26 states have enacted similar law

13 states have legislation pending

Bizarro, eh.
truly bizarre. i had no idea.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:52 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
An American has to sign pro Israel oath? Otherwise, lose her job? This is absurd.

Sure, one can support Israel, this is not the issue, but I cannot believe this actually happened in the United States, how absurd!
I'm waiting for our beloved Republican freedom fighters to shred this authoritarian, anti-American lunacy at once and return to our constitutional values. America First, remember? Oh wait...

Old 12-18-2018, 02:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
There's been an anti-boycott law on the books since the 70's. US Dept. of Commerce monitors it. It's a violation for a company to participate in a boycott of any country not currently sanctioned as such by the Government.

https://www.cov.com/~/media/files/co...strategies.pdf

It's sort of dumb to extend it to an individual, but it's not really that unheard of.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 12-18-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You have an unerring instinct for the irrelevant.

I am nearly as white bread as they come, and I would sure raise a stink if anyone tried to make me sign an agreement to support a foreign government, either as a condition of employment or a condition of doing business.
They're not making you support anyone. They're saying as a supplier to the district you can't participate in an illegal boycott. The legislation applies to any country, but currently the Arab League and their boycott of Israel is the only major one in the world. Although the Arabs v. Qatar is close.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
They're not making you support anyone. They're saying as a supplier to the district you can't participate in an illegal boycott. The legislation applies to any country, but currently the Arab League and their boycott of Israel is the only major one in the world. Although the Arabs v. Qatar is close.
They are if I wanted to boycott the country in question. And since when would it make any sense to participate only in a boycott sanctioned by the government? A government has plenty of means to express its issues with another country, boycotts are generally for us mere peons. In fact, I've never even heard of an illegal boycott. What, someone's gonna force me to buy grapes???? (first boycott I ever participated in, in 1970.)

If there are security concerns, I'd get it. But you'd have to explain to me why this Texas teacher should promise not to boycott Israel as a condition for her employment as a speech therapist.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They are if I wanted to boycott the country in question. And since when would it make any sense to participate only in a boycott sanctioned by the government? A government has plenty of means to express its issues with another country, boycotts are generally for us mere peons.

If there are security concerns, I'd get it. But you'd have to explain to me why this Texas teacher should promise not to boycott Israel as a condition for her employment as a speech therapist.
Because it violates Federal Law. Companies cannot participate in a boycott of a non-sanctioned country. She's a company by virtue of being an independent contractor, not an employee.
Now, the chances of the ISD doing business with Israel are likely virtually zero, and the chances of the therapist actually doing business with Israel are about the same, but the ISD would be breaking the law if she actually by some random chance participated in a boycott, and that would leave them open to civil and criminal penalties. You as an individual, feel free to boycott whatever you want.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,599,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It has more to do with the Christian Right and the fact that evangelicals believe that Israel is God's chosen nation and is where Jesus Christ will soon return. David Barton (Google him) has tremendous influence over the curriculum in Texas public schools.
No one knows when or where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies