Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are confusing private with public, she is being paid by the school district on a contract so these are state funds paid for by taxpayers. All contractors for state and federal need to comply with their regulations and laws, none of which is giving up free speech.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Its unheard other than some nebulous publication posted called worldeer.com which doesn't seem to exist. Two states have already lost in court, I expect more so I am going to go with the court decision. Besides if what you indicated is true then why ask allegiance to Israel.
I'm not familiar with the local State law, but knowing my Texas, they've screwed it up somehow. As far as complying with anti-boycott provisions, we have to do it all the time. My company works extensively in the Mid East and we constantly redline contracts and PO's to remove boycott language to be in compliance with Federal Law.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
An analysis by another website:

Texas School BDS Distortions: You Can
Seriously?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
I hope she wins the lawsuit. Considering our current political climate, I'm not optimistic.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I'm not down with this. Why does any American have to sign a pro Israel Oath? She shouldn't have been fired for that.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not down with this. Why does any American have to sign a pro Israel Oath? He shouldn't have been fired for that.
If it were a private school? That could have been a requirement. For a public entity? No. Compelled speech is unconstitutional. SCOTUS has already ruled on that in a case in which some public school students refused to salute and pledge allegiance to the US Flag.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Texas is not mentioned in there complaint. Only the school district.
By denying herself to renew her contract by not agreeing to the scope of the new contract, since her old one had been fulfilled.

Do you understand contract law as opposed to employee?
Have you ever been self employed and had to draw up a sub-contract?
Do you understand that the contract was with a government entity? And that government entity was violating her rights with the terms of the contract?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 AM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If it were a private school? That could have been a requirement. For a public entity? No. Compelled speech is unconstitutional. SCOTUS has already ruled on that in a case in which some public school students refused to salute and pledge allegiance to the US Flag.
Yes, I was thinking public. Private school is another matter.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:52 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm not familiar with the local State law, but knowing my Texas, they've screwed it up somehow. As far as complying with anti-boycott provisions, we have to do it all the time. My company works extensively in the Mid East and we constantly redline contracts and PO's to remove boycott language to be in compliance with Federal Law.
If that is true then why is their federal legislation pending specifically spelling out Israel, why do these states find it necessary to do the same. I just don't see this as being legal when using taxpayer funds, Similar legislation in Kansas and Arizona have already lost in court.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
If that is true then why is their federal legislation pending specifically spelling out Israel, why do these states find it necessary to do the same. I just don't see this as being legal when using taxpayer funds, Similar legislation in Kansas and Arizona have already lost in court.
It's not an "if it's true" thing. The law is a fact and has existed for over 40 years.

https://www.export.gov/article?id=An...tt-Regulations

The U.S. has an established policy of opposing restrictive trade practices or boycotts fostered or imposed by foreign countries against other countries friendly to the U.S. This policy is implemented through the anti-boycott provisions of the Export Administration Act of 1979 (EAA)—enforced by the U.S. Department of Commerce— and through a 1977 amendment to the Tax Reform Act of 1976—enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

Part 760 of the EAR implements the EAA’s anti-boycott provisions. U.S. persons are prohibited from taking certain actions with the intent to comply with, further, or support an unsolicited foreign boycott. Prohibitions include:
  • Refusing to do business with a boycotted or blacklisted entity
  • Discriminating against, or agreeing to discriminate against, any U.S. person on the basis of race, religion, sex, or national origin
  • Furnishing information about business relationships with a boycotted country or a blacklisted entity In addition, the EAR requires a U.S. person to notify the U.S. Department of Commerce if he or she receives a request to comply with an unsanctioned foreign boycotted country or a blacklisted entity.
In addition, the EAR requires a US person to notify the U.S. Department of Commerce if he or she receives a request to comply with an unsanctioned foreign boycott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies