Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Try again.

The only article referencing Ms Amawi on this news site is:

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-lawm...law/1665375985

And it says nothing about her not paying taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How did Israel manage to exert so much influence in American governments? Does this country owe them something?
From the days of the u.s. founding based in part by the Biblical reference to Israel, to today, if we are attacked by a rival, we have the power of the Israel military and weaponry to utilize in our defense. In a perfect world, rivals knowing this thwarts attacks and helps to keep us safe from invasions. So our government allows Israel influence in certain decision making processes. (always did, however ties to relation in reference to biblical understanding, is loosing generational power)

However, foreign policy being as they are, should have absolutely no bearing on our individual rights as citizens of the u.s. expressions of pro or anti anything in relation to another country, or even that of our own.

Obtaining employment solely based on ones ability to do their job, is becoming an extinct concept.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Could she avoid the problem by incorporating? Her corporation could do the work and have no political agenda and she could then privately boycott Sodastream. Would that work?

Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Could she avoid the problem by incorporating? Her corporation could do the work and have no political agenda and she could then privately boycott Sodastream. Would that work?
Great troubleshoot.
Off the top of my head, I'd have to say no. Only because in certain areas of the law corporations are now seen as individuals.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
I don't think this would survive higher court scrutiny so here's hoping it gets it sooner rather than later. This is the kind of thing that should be slapped down with extreme prejudice. Here's hoping anyone that had anything to do with laws of this type find themselves without jobs in the near future.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:42 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's like you all didn't even read the article. Let me help you with that:

When the ACLU condemned those in Chicago politics trying to make problems for Chik Fil A based on their personal views, they said this:

At first, the bill was going to make it a crime to boycott Israel. A fricken crime!

This was written last summer.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/...ives-the-left/

This is the "watered down" version of the bill. On the watered down version, the ACLU had this to say:

And just to remind you all, Glen Greenwald was a Constitutional lawyer for 10 years, and his own parents and grandparents are Jewish. But I'm supposed to take the word of some random people on this forum that it's a "whatever" thing to them. I think I'll stick with the Constitutional lawyer, especially one who has been more fair and balanced than almost any journalist or writer in the MSM.
OK so I read the contract again. She is being contracted as an entity, not as a person. The language is right there in the contract in the verbage of "it". No one is going to go after her if in her private life she boycotts Israel. The law prohibits her from boycotting Israel in her professional capacity working for the State of Texas.

That being said, I do believe the contract needs to be amended. It's not specific enough.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do the people that instruct and attend have free speech, while on school campus, without fear of punishment?
Yes they do within the guidelines of the school.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I don't think this would survive higher court scrutiny so here's hoping it gets it sooner rather than later. This is the kind of thing that should be slapped down with extreme prejudice. Here's hoping anyone that had anything to do with laws of this type find themselves without jobs in the near future.
Fun fact:

This law, House Bill 89, passed unanimously in the House (131-0) and by a vote of 26-5 in the Senate.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:16 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
OK so I read the contract again. She is being contracted as an entity, not as a person. The language is right there in the contract in the verbage of "it". No one is going to go after her if in her private life she boycotts Israel. The law prohibits her from boycotting Israel in her professional capacity working for the State of Texas.

That being said, I do believe the contract needs to be amended. It's not specific enough.
That's how the IRS gets you. I work for myself, I'm not "DBA", I don't have a business license, nor even an EIN (I employ no one...and neither does this teacher), but they still consider me a "business" and tax me as such. So even though I'm a person, not a business, they will still describe me as an "entity", which is BS. The same happened when I was an Independent Contractor - they considered me an entity, not a person. I'm not a fricken entity.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:21 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course it's an export law. Boycott is about trade. It's not about anything else. That's why the state law in these cases are so dumb. It's an Evangelical desire shrouded as a trade case. They single out Israel because in the last 50 years or so, that's been the only actual substantive boycott, other than the new one against Qatar this year. And saying Israel gives Evangelicals a semi.
She is a speech pathologist, I don't see how this has anything to do with trade it requires individuals to state they will not support a boycott of Israel.

It is dumb and this woman is going to win in court, they should make the people that came up with these laws pay out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies