Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Jews were massacred for ages because of the stupid followers of that man and we have no reason to celebrate his birth.
And that's very sad. But you have to let it go. If you live in America, you have to accept that you share the country with Christians. But, hey, as I've been stating all along, it's not exclusively their holiday. I don't care about Jesus's birth. Everyone knows he wasn't even born during the winter equinox. I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though, with regard to Christmas celebration (no pun intended...)

Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Try driving and you will be attacked by having blocked car by a mob and stones thrown at you. This applies even on the sabbath in orthodox Jewish neighborhood.
So don't drive there. Stay in your Arab city that day and respect others.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No.. read the previous post I made just before this one. I'm an agnostic, so I don't celebrate Jesus's birth. But I do celebrate Christmas. As a secular holiday, in the spirit of the many winter solstice celebrations around the world. There's no reason Jewish-Americans can't or shouldn't do the same. Plus, it's obviously a big part of American culture and tradition, so that's all the more reason to celebrate Christmas. We could all use a little more national togetherness and less divisiveness.
What if they don't want to? You celebrate Christmas by choice. Would you really like to be told it was mandatory?

Old 12-23-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
And that's very sad. But you have to let it go. If you live in America, you have to accept that you share the country with Christians. But, hey, as I've been stating all along, it's not exclusively their holiday. I don't care about Jesus's birth. Everyone knows he wasn't even born during the winter equinox. I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater, though, with regard to Christmas celebration (no pun intended...)
I share the same country with Christians and I don't tell them not to celebrate their holidays, and I expect them not to expect me to celebrate theirs.
Why you gentiles just cannot not leave us alone? We will never recognize that man as a god.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:31 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I share the same country with Christians and I don't tell them not to celebrate their holidays, and I expect them not to expect me to celebrate theirs.
Why you gentiles just cannot not leave us alone? We will never recognize that man as a god.
Have I not been quite clear that I don't recognize Jesus as a god?

And, no, if you're an American, I want you to be attuned to our common culture. I'm happy that America is a great place for Jewish-Americans. I hope we always are. Of course, you can celebrate Jewish holidays. But there's no contradiction between doing that and celebrating Christmas as well.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times
Absolutely not. Christmas is not celebrated by all and one religion should not rule over all. To mandate closing down would be trampling the bill of rights.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Everything should not shut down on Christmas. This isn't a theocracy that you want so badly. Not everybody believes in your god or any god for that matter. That is the beauty of this country.
I agree with you. I thought this was a post about Trump's Wall-shutdown, but it's not.

In the context of Trump's Gov't Shutdown, I think EVERYTHING should shut down. If he's going to hold the country hostage for a wall that he said Mexico will pay for, then do it. All in, or not at all. See how he fares when people can't get to their families for the holiday. And by the way, Airforce One should be grounded for all but ESSENTIAL business. No trip to Mara Largo!

I agree with Timmy, this is not a theocracy, and businesses can open or close as they see fit. If they want to close in observance of Christmas, let them. If they want to stay open and make money, let them.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:42 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What about people that don't celebrate Christmas? You know, like Jewish folk?
It’s funny how he singled out “Asian restaurants” in the opening post. For those who don’t know, it is or was a popular Jewish pastime to eat Chinese food on Xmas day (because Chinese restaurants used to be the only places that were open and many Jews don’t celebrate Christmas), so this is OP’s not so subtle way of wanting to stick it to the Jews and force us to stay in on Xmas.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:44 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Absolutely not. Christmas is not celebrated by all and one religion should not rule over all. To mandate closing down would be trampling the bill of rights.
Very True, I spent a few years in Japan when I was in the navy. Christmas is pretty big over there, they really get into it.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Have I not been quite clear that I don't recognize Jesus as a god?

And, no, if you're an American, I want you to be attuned to our common culture. I'm happy that America is a great place for Jewish-Americans. I hope we always are. Of course, you can celebrate Jewish holidays. But there's no contradiction between doing that and celebrating Christmas as well.
Thank you, but not at this time. Have a nice day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies