Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times

Advertisements

welcome to the fifties again when racists were comfortable opening their mouths

Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
No, you don’t know how it feels.
I know how prejudice feels. I don't know how it feels to be African American, or Asian American, or for that matter, 400 pounds, or disabled, or gay, or (fill in the blank). An African American heterosexual healthy young male doesn't know what it feels like to be gay or disabled or elderly or a woman or (fill in the blank) either. Are you saying that they can't relate to those groups because they don't "know how it feels?"

But don't assume that other people haven't experienced prejudice. That in itself is a prejudiced perspective.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:08 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My words and reasoning are germane, you're right.

Listen, I don't care whether or not you "believe" that my family got together and burned a painting of NBF, or that we are adamantly opposed to any form of racism - your beliefs don't alter reality one iota. By the way, if you google images of NBF, you can see that we are burning an image of him. Just for the record.

I'm not "hell bent on trying to discredit this guy" - his public social media feed is out there for anyone to peruse - have you looked at it?

Speaking of past experiences, this guy does a lot of traveling, to what seems to be a lot of very high end locales, restaurants, hotels, etc. His posted experiences don't give any sort of impression of leading a downtrodden life rife with racist incidents. He seems to be living a very adventurous, prosperous life. But you're right - who knows when it comes to social media? Every bit of it can be faked or doctored.
Not sure why you keep speaking of this man’s social media pages and his past experiences.
You do realize it’s possible for this to be his first documented experience of racism?

If someone robs me do I need to prove I have been robbed before in order for it to be true?

I’ve never had an issue in a hotel lobby but if I was kicked out of a hotel tomorrow in this same manor it would still be a real thing that actually happened.

It’s not like Earl or Ernie or whatever the hotel security guys name is works in every hotel he has visited.

The problem with this place is everyone acts like one persons experience applies to everything. A liberal who kicks out a customer in Ohio for wearing a Trump shirt doesn’t mean it’s universal. Focus on the incident and not on painting everyone with a broad stroke.

It’s so odd to see people make excuses for a person they never met before. These people were fired because they were racist and couldn’t admit they were wrong about a customer.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Lifestyles have consequences. Sometimes those consequences are unfair, because life isn't fair. But life choices do matter. Demeanor does matter. Dress does matter. Drinking does matter. Jobs do matter. Friendships matter. Belief systems matter. What we post on social media matters.
Professionalism matters... which is why they were fired.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Lifestyles have consequences. Sometimes those consequences are unfair, because life isn't fair. But life choices do matter. Demeanor does matter. Dress does matter. Drinking does matter. Jobs do matter. Friendships matter. Belief systems matter. What we post on social media matters.
None of that has one thing to do with this person, whom you do not know, getting kicked out of a hotel for which he was a paying guest.

But as evidenced in other threads, discrediting the victim is a large part of your method - even though you know nothing about them.

Got it.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I know how prejudice feels. I don't know how it feels to be African American, or Asian American, or for that matter, 400 pounds, or disabled, or gay, or (fill in the blank). An African American heterosexual healthy young male doesn't know what it feels like to be gay or disabled or elderly or a woman or (fill in the blank) either. Are you saying that they can't relate to those groups because they don't "know how it feels?"

But don't assume that other people haven't experienced prejudice. That in itself is a prejudiced perspective.
Of course a straight Black male doesn’t know what it’s like to be gay. Wtf??

What you experienced isn’t what Black men experience so take yourself out of the equation and stop trying to cape for racist behavior.

You are trying to make this his fault for not behaving. He is a grown man. He doesn’t have to “behave” in a way that makes other folks comfortable, especially when some folks are always uncomfortable around Black men.

and 911 isn’t for people’s insecurities about Black people.

He showed his key. That should’ve been the end of the discussion.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you keep speaking of this man’s social media pages and his past experiences.
You do realize it’s possible for this to be his first documented experience of racism?

If someone robs me do I need to prove I have been robbed before in order for it to be true?

I’ve never had an issue in a hotel lobby but if I was kicked out of a hotel tomorrow in this same manor it would still be a real thing that actually happened.

It’s not like Earl or Ernie or whatever the hotel security guys name is works in every hotel he has visited.

The problem with this place is everyone acts like one persons experience applies to everything. A liberal who kicks out a customer in Ohio for wearing a Trump shirt doesn’t mean it’s universal. Focus on the incident and not on painting everyone with a broad stroke.

It’s so odd to see people make excuses for a person they never met before. These people were fired because they were racist and couldn’t admit they were wrong about a customer.
Funny you should make a point of this - you really haven't gone to look at his social media, have you?

It actually does contain a significant number of posts (not personal experiences from what I can tell, just quotes and that sort of thing) pertaining to black people experiencing racism. I have no idea whether or not this guy ever personally experienced racism, though my goodness, if I have, he probably has as well. Many people of many different skin tones have personally experienced racism and prejudice.

As for painting anything with a wide brush stroke, who is doing that? I'm being VERY specific. I am also very consistent on this board. I have spoken out against mistreatment and racism against people in the public eye (Freddie Gray, Trayvon Martin, anyone?). But I don't assume that just because these two people WERE wrongly killed, that every black guy who cries "Racism!" is being treated however due to the color of his skin. Sometimes their actions and words are part of the problem, sometimes not. Sometimes they're prejudiced, sometimes they're not.

So I look at what I can find about the individual - in ANY situation, not just these flash in the pan incidents - to put things in perspective. For instance, that idiot who shot Trayvon Martin. Should I look at only that one isolated incident, or look at the guy's life in general, his other actions, whatever? If I should look at the bigger picture in that case (which I did) why not in every case?

Old 12-30-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:

You are trying to make this his fault for not behaving. He is a grown man. He doesn’t have to “behave” in a way that makes other folks comfortable, especially when some folks are always uncomfortable around Black men.

and 911 isn’t for people’s insecurities about Black people.

He showed his key. That should’ve been the end of the discussion.
He didn't show his key till the situation had escalated - which he was part of.

And speaking of behaving - yes, behavior matters. Wow.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Professionalism matters... which is why they were fired.
Maybe Earl should have been fired. Maybe the manager should have been fired. I don't know - and neither do you, if all you're going off is this guy's short video and his side of the story. You're certainly not looking any deeper into the situation because you are comfortable assuming that he was targeted simply because he is black.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
He didn't show his key till the situation had escalated - which he was part of.

And speaking of behaving - yes, behavior matters. Wow.
Once the officer arrived and it was determined he was a paying guest, the matter should have been dismissed.

The security guard was caught being racist and his ego was hurt so he made the officer kick the guy out.

I've been in a million hotel lobbies - -with no key -- loitering -- and not one person has approached me.

This security guard most definitely approached this guy based on profiling. He deserved to lose his job,

The officer should be reprimanded as well for actions that clearly indicated he did not resolve the problem fairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies