Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 07:21 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You're right that there's not exact proof, but it certainly started to drop right at the same time. Wouldn't be the first time illegal immigration dipped before but this was also at the near height of the US economy before the recession. There's no other reason to believe that the numbers dropped besides that. That is, unless you know of a policy that was implemented that could have stopped things as well.

And this is the problem with discussing anything nowadays. People can't even be honest and let their biases cloud their mind. You won't even admit that the fence would have been part of the reason for the drop. You just flat out say it isn't true.
Why the hell would I “admit” to something for which no one is able to prove definitively?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Why the hell would I “admit” to something for which no one is able to prove definitively?
You won't even say it's a possibility and THAT'S the problem. Any slightly credible researcher would say that the new border fence could be directly/indirectly linked to the decrease in illegal immigration during that time.

This is like saying that an obese person who dies of a heart attack during a tornado didn't die because of the tornado. No the tornado didn't directly cause the heart attack, but it could have indirectly caused it by putting so much fear into that obese person. Their obesity just made it easier.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You won't even say it's a possibility and THAT'S the problem. Any slightly credible researcher would say that the new border fence could be directly linked to decrease in illegal immigration during that time.

This is like saying that an obese person who dies of a heart attack during a tornado didn't die because of the tornado. No the tornado didn't directly cause the heart attack, but it could have indirectly caused it by putting so much fear into that obese person. Their obesity just made it easier.
It could be a possibility.

And no, research/science doesn’t work that way. You don’t form a conclusion and then go out and prove it.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Is that bold and underlined excerpt equivalent to “other numbers”? No?

Yes unless this quote below is the OP as you stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia
Annual apprehensions began slowing substantially a few years earlier. So did fewer come here because they knew a recession was coming (that few Americans did) or because the fence was being expanded?

2004 1,189,000
2005 1,089,000
2006 876,000
2007 723,000

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...000-FY2017.pdf
Here is the post this all started over...

Quote:
It’s the logically consistent answer. There’s no “proof” either way with the basic numbers provided in the original post.
Quote:
How are you deriving an alternate dataset from two words?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 PM

[quote=chucksnee;54159226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Is that bold and underlined excerpt equivalent to “other numbers”? No?

Yes unless this quote below is the OP as you stated:

Here is the post this all started over...
Again Chuck, you keep claiming that my posts contained “other numbers”. I’ve yet to see such.

Do you see any actual numbers in my post?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
[quote=subaru5555;54159235]
Quote:

Again Chuck, you keep claiming that my posts contained “other numbers”. I’ve yet to see such.

Do you see any actual numbers in my post?

Please read and then attempt to comprehend your own posts:
I never said you had numbers in your post, what you said is that you did not agree with the Original Posts numbers.....

I said you were provided other numbers..

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru5555
It’s the logically consistent answer. There’s no “proof” either way with the basic numbers provided in the original post.

Quote:
Have you been provided "other" numbers since then and now relating your failures in this thread to not worrying about those numbers, because you know you have failed?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I will bet you the wall gets built. How much?
I won't dispute that. The dispute is not the wall. It's the money for the wall. It's not on American taxpayers because Individual 1 supporters fell for a con that Mexico would pay for the wall and there is a border crisis emergency. He can't scam every American, only the gullible.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Please read and then attempt to comprehend your own posts:
I never said you had numbers in your post, what you said is that you did not agree with the Original Posts numbers.....

I said you were provided other numbers..
Quote:
Sure, I can go kindergarten for you.

You were provided numbers in the OP, then argued other numbers provided throughout this thread, then when proven wrong, you state you were only talking about the OPs numbers...

Sorry if you cannot understand this, if needed I can go Pre-K for you and provide pictures with numbers....and such....but I would hope not, yet here we are.....so lets see, shall we?

Gee, you don’t remember your own post? I wonder why.....

Oh:

Quote:
I'm posting quotes of you.

Keep up with your own posts, hell I've had a few beers tonight, and I can keep up better than you can with the posts you are writing....
So yea, Chuck, where am I arguing “other numbers”? And furthermore, I never “stated I was only talking about the OP’s numbers”...please point that out else you’re flat out lying.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I won't dispute that. The dispute is not the wall. It's the money for the wall. It's not on American taxpayers because Individual 1 supporters fell for a con that Mexico would pay for the wall and there is a border crisis emergency. He can't scam every American, only the gullible.
So you think Pelosi and Schumer are stuck on the point that Mexico won't pay for the wall? Not true, they want open borders so they are delighted Mexico won't pay.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
41 Senators who are holding out for border wall funding, and those who have not made clear where they stand. Are they fearful of Individual 1? 4 Reopen without funding, 2 temporarily reopen and 6 deal protecting undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children. It looks like Individual 1 doesn't have the hardcore support he thought he would have with his party.

Quote:
At least three senators, Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Susan Collins (Maine) and Cory Gardner (Colo.), have called on Trump to reopen the shuttered federal agencies without the $5.7 billion in funding he wants for his border wall. Collins and Gardner are both up for reelection in 2020 in purplish-blue states.

Sen. Ron Johnson (Wis.) floated an idea to pay essential employees who are working during the shutdown, which would keep many agencies mostly closed while talks continue.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), one of Trump’s closest allies in Congress, pushed an idea to reopen the government for three weeks and use that time to debate and vote on border security legislation, but Trump shot it down.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.37bb2f93f7eb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies