Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I don't think that this shutdown, or strike as Donald calls it (which is actually more accurate), is really about the wall at all. I think Donald wants to keep the government shut because he's trying to avoid the Democrats in Congress. He knows he's going to get investigations. He knows he can't get his way any more. He doesn't want to deal with what's waiting for him.

I don't think this has anything to do with a wall, besides the wall he's hiding behind like a little coward.

Trump campaigned on building a border wall so WTH are you talking about? There were no pending investigations back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Why in the world would terrorists go through the effort of a desert crossing rather than flying in on a visa?

Every 9/11 terrorist was here on a visa or an expired visa.

Most were from Saudi Arabia.

Not a single one was from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, ...

Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why in the world would terrorists go through the effort of a desert crossing rather than flying in on a visa?

Every 9/11 terrorist was here on a visa or an expired visa.

Most were from Saudi Arabia.

Not a single one was from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, ...
The 9/11 terrorists were middle class students. A highly unusual bunch. Usually it's the poor and semi-literate that can believe in the fairytales enough to strap bombs to themselves and suicide "for Allah."

For those who can't get a visa for USA would be forced to cross the desert. Hasn't happened yet, in theory it's possible but I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Of course knowing you may not get a paycheck on January 14th may want to make you conserve the one got on Dec 31st. Daycare is a big hit. The money could be used for housing or food instead.
Good point.

Also, they may be working more hours at their second job in anticipation of not getting a paycheck next week.

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
We must recall that the Senate passed a CR by a vote of 100-0 based on word from the White House that Mr. Trump would sign the CR (which extended to mid February). Then, President Trump saw Ms. Coulter blast him for not demanding money for the wall. The result: Trump suddenly decided, to the dismay of many Republicans, to say he would not sign the CR.

Ah, well. I'm sure that many Trump supporters would have been ok with Obama changing his position on something based on a television commentary.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:35 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Who backed out of signing a bill that the Senate controlled by GOP passed w/Dems accord and the House wOULD HAVE PASSED before Trump scared Ryan's pants off???

Trump---
Anyone with the capacity of a 5 yr old knows that

Trump was scared by Colter, Limbaugh, Hannity and other Fox talking heads into NOT passing that budget agreement

He took "credit" for bringing a shutdown in the meeting before January and only finding out from others that taking credit was not a smart move has made him change his tune and blame the Dems

Typical Trump
He did the same thing when he promised to sign a budget bill that allowed Dreamers to be legal and got cold feet when his "base" took umbrage

Even if they gave Trump the budget for the wall---that would not be enough
He wants to change total immigration policy to cut racial quotas for Hispanics and blacks to nothing
They--the alt-right--only want WHITE people to come to the US
If you don't understand that, you haven't paid attention to who is running Trump's policies

Your post is so full of lies that it isn't even funny. I don't debate with liars. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:36 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your post is so full of lies that it isn't even funny. I don't debate with liars. Welcome to my ignore list.
Not sure why you think the post you quoted was lies. Each statement is a verifiable truth.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
I say let him do it.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
The 9/11 terrorists were middle class students. A highly unusual bunch. Usually it's the poor and semi-literate that can believe in the fairytales enough to strap bombs to themselves and suicide "for Allah."

For those who can't get a visa for USA would be forced to cross the desert. Hasn't happened yet, in theory it's possible but I wouldn't worry about it.
In theory, quite a few things are possible.

In practice, any poor, semi-literate suicide bomber who can figure out how to get to Mexico and cross the desert, can problem figure out how to get a visa and an airplane ticket to NYC.

Of course, now that we are making enemies of our neighbors at our southern border, this situation may change.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 AM

20,114 posts, read 9,028,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I don't think that this shutdown, or strike as Donald calls it (which is actually more accurate), is really about the wall at all. I think Donald wants to keep the government shut because he's trying to avoid the Democrats in Congress. He knows he's going to get investigations. He knows he can't get his way any more. He doesn't want to deal with what's waiting for him.

I don't think this has anything to do with a wall, besides the wall he's hiding behind like a little coward.
that's why he's invited them to the WH twice this week huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies