Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM

20,192 posts, read 9,100,825 times

Advertisements

everybody will get paid, no one has missed a check yet. Love the hysterics though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,997,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yes.

Laid off electricians, carpenters, truck drivers, etc. get unemployment benefits.

Also, they often earn a higher wage when they are working and save up for the down times.

Plus, once they are laid off, they are no longer required to come in and work. They are free to pursue other employment opportunities.

So, quite a bit different actually.
I am curious how the TSA screeners are legally obligated to come into work despite not being paid. Is it written into their contract? If it is, why would they agree to such terms? Their pay isn't great anyway. And how is it legal to obligate people to work without pay? Isn't that technically slavery? I thought slavery was abolished many moons ago. Or is it a working on credit thing and it's OK because the government says it is?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
The 9/11 terrorists were middle class students. A highly unusual bunch. Usually it's the poor and semi-literate that can believe in the fairytales enough to strap bombs to themselves and suicide "for Allah."

For those who can't get a visa for USA would be forced to cross the desert. Hasn't happened yet, in theory it's possible but I wouldn't worry about it.
Last I checked, Mexico and Central America do not share a border with the Middle East or Northern Africa. How would a poor, semi- literate person get to Mexico, let alone from Mexico to the US?

It certainly would be easier to get a tourist visa and fly to the US, no?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,260,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Last I checked, Mexico and Central America do not share a border with the Middle East or Northern Africa. How would a poor, semi- literate person get to Mexico, let alone from Mexico to the US?

Only if the US Consulate issued the visa. More often than not, the visa is denied.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 AM

2,362 posts, read 780,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Not at all, take Yemenis as an example. Do you honestly think it would be easier for a Yemeni to get a tourist visa to the USA versus Mexico?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Tyler Q. Houlton - HEAD OF TSA

Verified account

@SpoxDHS
Follow Follow @SpoxDHS
More Tyler Q. Houlton Retweeted Kaitlan Collins
More #FakeNews from @CNN. Security operations at airports have not been impacted by a non-existent sick out. CNN has the cell numbers of multiple @TSA public affairs professionals, but rather than validate statistics, they grossly misrepresented them.

https://twitter.com/SpoxDHS/status/1081334144980930560
Nothing fake about it.

The union representing TSA was the source. CNN reported hundreds of call ins out of a workforce of 55,000.
Some airports are being impacted more so than others.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ing/index.html

Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,493,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We don't need the fedguv doing it.
Airlines providing their own security? That worked great on 9-11.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm a liberal and I can't stand the TSA. I hope all of the employees decide to call in and never come back to work. Every time I go through security, I am gracious and cooperative and I get searched from stem to stern anyway. My bags get searched, my checked luggage gets searched, and I get searched. Ted Stevens International in Anchorage, Alaska is especially bad about it. It's ridiculous how invasive our security procedures are.
TSA rank and file are responsible for executing procedures developed in DC in conjunction with private sector security firms.

TSA also includes Federal Air Marshalls. 33 were on duty on 9/11. Since then the number has expanded to an estimated 4-5000. Exact numbers are not published for security reasons.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,798,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh please. Stop taking everything so literally. This will never happen.
You have a point. If Trump says it, it’s either often wrong or he’ll change his mind tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,436,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That's what the Democrats are hoping for, as much pain to as many people as possible. All so they can keep the border wide open for MS-13, human trafficking, and child sex crimes.

You must be very proud of your party.
Negative. Your party is the one that pulls this kind of juvinile crap that says I'm going to shut everything down if I don't get my way. You did it with the debt ceiling vote and other spending bills.

Giving in to this tactic would send a terrible message and enable it for future crybabys.

Don't have the votes to pass what you want? Tough ****, that doesn't mean you get to blow up the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies