Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump trade some form of amnesty for the wall.
With the hatred his base has for illegals, he'd lose them. Many dont want amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 05:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
With the hatred his base has for illegals, he'd lose them. Many dont want amnesty.
I wish it would be that easy. With all the **** he’s done they would turn the other way.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

We will trade DACA for a wall. A total amnesty would require much more. A wall, stronger CBP and ICE, end of birthright citizenship, end of catch-and-release, and end of sanctuary city/state policies.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We will trade DACA for a wall. A total amnesty would require much more. A wall, stronger CBP and ICE, end of birthright citizenship, end of catch-and-release, and end of sanctuary city/state policies.
Ending birthright citizenship is ridiculous

Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Ending birthright citizenship is ridiculous
Birthright citizenship is ridiculous.

It is a crazy law. I have seen a lot of birth tourism in my career. These people come from China, Latin America, and the Middle East to have American citizen babies. Then they go back to their countries and raise these kids in a completely different culture, but they are American citizens because their mothers came here for a month back when they were born.

What are the positives of birthright citizenship? All I see are negatives. How does birthright citizenship help Americans?

Why shouldn’t at least one parent have to be a citizen? What would be the harm in that?

Old 01-05-2019, 07:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Birthright citizenship is ridiculous.

It is a crazy law. I have seen a lot of birth tourism in my career. These people come from China, Latin America, and the Middle East to have American citizen babies. Then they go back to their countries and raise these kids in a completely different culture, but they are American citizens because their mothers came here for a month back when they were born.

What are the positives of birthright citizenship? All I see are negatives. How does birthright citizenship help Americans?

Why shouldn’t at least one parent have to be a citizen? What would be the harm in that?
People should be a citizen of the country they're born in; it's just common sense, or am I the crazy one?....

Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
People should be a citizen of the country they're born in; it's just common sense, or am I the crazy one?....

You're the crazy one. It would be common sense in a normal scenario but it was never intended for tourists or for destitute people to illegally enter and drop a citizen then claim an array of rights and benefits on behalf of it.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:21 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,828,808 times
Trump's shutdown? Or the Democratic shutdown?

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
I’m not saying you are crazy, but it seems more rational that the babies are citizens of their parent’s country. Every country that I know, allows this. If two American citizens have a baby in Rwanda, their baby is recognized by the United States as an American citizen. I doubt those parents would want the baby to be a citizen of Rwanda instead.

It certainly makes more sense to me than non Americans having American babies, just because they could afford a plane ticket here.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It certainly makes more sense to me than non Americans having American babies, just because they could afford a plane ticket here.

Yes, it seems common sense that parents would want their child to be citizens of the same country as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies