Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 AM

15,097 posts, read 10,188,345 times

Advertisements

TSA is essential for the safety and security of citizens....yet.. they not considered essential? wtf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 01:52 AM

2,362 posts, read 783,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Donald Trump already said he is proud to shut it down and take the blame, so I guess you're just behind current events.
DJT cannot take sole blame of the shutdown since he does not have the power alone to shutdown the government.

1)Congress can acquiesce to his demand of 5 billion dollars (only 0.1% of the budget, when this shutdown is costing the USA more).
2)Congress can pass a budget that is veto proof.

Either 1 or 2 ends this shutdown. Trump is not king, and blaming this shutdown squarely on him is moronic.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
TSA is essential for the safety and security of citizens....yet.. they not considered essential? wtf?
All this will mean is longer lines at the airport. Everyone needs to be properly screened (according to code) so if there is less TSA that just means longer lines at security. It does not mean people board the plane without going through security.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:10 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,948,513 times
Said it before in other threads - if you want to solve this issue in about 2 hours, all that needs to happen is for TSA workers to walk off the job or not show up to work en masse because they can't afford food on the table or don't have the money to travel to get to work. The entire airline industry would be paralyzed and the general public would finally feel real tremendous pain as a consequence for the political theater going on in DC. The public wouldn't last more than 20 minutes if ALL flights were canceled because no one is working at airports.

Not even the military could step in and cover all of the administrative duties that are going to be affected. That's just TSA for starters. Soon old people won't get their SS checks, no one will get their tax returns, and all international shipping by sea could be paralyzed. I'd love to see how the public reacts then.

Last edited by fibonacci; 01-05-2019 at 02:22 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
All this will mean is longer lines at the airport. Everyone needs to be properly screened (according to code) so if there is less TSA that just means longer lines at security. It does not mean people board the plane without going through security.
Yes.. that is true...

However, what I've seen in the private sector in regards to human resources... "You get what you pay for". At some point, the good TSA employees will leave looking for other jobs. Capable employees are usually also very capable at finding other jobs elsewhere.. especially when the lack of a paycheck is a primary motivator.

The quality of work (in this case security) and TSA's ability to properly execute those measures (according to code) will suffer.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Yes.. that is true...

However, what I've seen in the private sector in regards to human resources... "You get what you pay for". At some point, the good TSA employees will leave looking for other jobs. Capable employees are usually also very capable at finding other jobs elsewhere.. especially when the lack of a paycheck is a primary motivator.

The quality of work (in this case security) and TSA's ability to properly execute those measures (according to code) will suffer.
Personally, I think TSA is a royal PITA, and a waste of time and resources.

I fly around 80,000 miles a year, give or take 10,000 miles. I go through airports and security checks so much, that often times I play with the security by leaving my laptop inside my carry on luggage. Even though this laptop will be blatantly visible on any X-ray vision, half the time they don't even catch it. The other half they do and ask me to remove it.

50% is basically bad enough with something as obvious and visible as a laptop. If you think TSA is buying you any security at the airport, you should think again.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
If you think TSA is buying you any security at the airport, you should think again.
Are you suggesting that we just get rid of the TSA all together?

If not, then there is still an implication that they are still a necessary component to travel security and the question of their effectiveness and/or efficiency isn't relevant to this topic thread... (albeit should be improved)

It will certainly get worse when TSA starts loosing staff.

In your experience, Half the time they don't catch it..... is catching it none of the times an improvement?

To sum up... "don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 AM

51,725 posts, read 26,018,237 times
Quote:
Seems strange to me that Air Traffic Controllers are in this same boat.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:38 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,513,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Do you have the same sympathy for the steelworkers and coal miners whose work sites have been mothballed because of liberal government policies like unfair trade agreements and overregulation? The United Mine Workers union endorsed Obama, Obama took their money and stabbed them in the back, launching the war on coal to further endear himself to his yuppie base from the Northeast and West Coast.
Working in the steel industry for 35 years I`m very much aware of why the steel mills that have been idle since the 80s are not going to reopen. They haven`t had any upgrades since the 1950s. Mills that have been modernized are very much alive including the one I retired from because they have always invested in new equipment that require fewer workers to produce their tons. The war on coal is being waged by natural gas and Trump can`t ban fracking to force power plants to use coal.
This is what a 21st century steel mill looks like.

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/58082...2835-0-599.jpg

Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,740,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, conservatives say we don't need a TSA anyway, so... I guess terrorists everywhere can take note and get ready.
Then why did George W implement it in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies