Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Too bad Canada is a frozen tundra in the winter. I would not live there for free.
I was told that many Americans were ignorant about Canada....Frozen tundra indeed By the way I'm happy you don't want to live here.

So far this winter we have had only a few days below freezing, no snow at all and some great sunny days.

Jan 5th...Average high 43.9°F Average low 33.1°F

Old 01-05-2019, 03:01 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And you pay for all that by having your life taxed to hell.
I guess you missed it...Canada's taxes are lower than yours, especially for the middle and lower income earners.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And you pay for all that by having your life taxed to hell.
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the UK, they pay taxes and in return they ALL have health insurance with no worries about it, they get unemployment that lasts much, MUCH longer than it lasts here, they get council housing and also housing benefits if they fall upon hard times or when they are just starting out, their groceries are cheaper than here and of better quality. Almost everything is cheaper except gas. And so they don't have huge, massive cars. That way they save on gas. And pollution. Their roads are in better shape and they have parks everywhere available for walking for free, gorgeous beaches that are free...

The UK LOVES their NHS--I don't know why the Canadian plan isn't as good but I do know it differs from province to province. The US is definitely falling behind.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Whatever. We have about as many people living here illegally as Canada has in its entire country.

It's like arguing over what's a better place to live.... Vermont or California. Vermont is more peaceful, less crime, more affordable, etc.... but California is California. As Robin Williams once remarked, "Canada is like a tidy loft apartment above a really great party."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsqcokevi2A

I'm sure sitting atop the largest consumer economy in the world and having vast natural resources and a small population has nothing to do with Canada's success.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Teachers and nurses certainly make more in Canada, as do most police. Canadian corporate tax is lower,and you are correct, personal income tax is marginally higher. However, Canadians do not pay those extremely high medical insurance rates (universal healthcare is a major reason why life expectancy is higher in Canada)
nor do they pay the excruciating university fees that US students must

Generally speaking, the total cost of living is higher in the USA.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

100% agreed. Even with tax deductions and other write-offs, the tax matter is a shell game. Whatever you don't pay in taxes is eaten up in out-of-pocket post-secondary education expenses, private health insurance expenses (even with a deductable).

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
All I know about Canada is what I see on HGTV, where the property values seem about on par with California...that means ridiculous. No thank you.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I know about Canada is what I see on HGTV, where the property values seem about on par with California...that means ridiculous. No thank you.
And you find nothing questionable about getting your real-estate information from an entertainment motivated TV show?

That's like saying I know all about the U.S because I watch the Disney Channel. Well...then again....

Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Whatever. We have about as many people living here illegally as Canada has in its entire country.

It's like arguing over what's a better place to live.... Vermont or California. Vermont is more peaceful, less crime, more affordable, etc.... but California is California. As Robin Williams once remarked, "Canada is like a tidy loft apartment above a really great party."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsqcokevi2A

I'm sure sitting atop the largest consumer economy in the world and having vast natural resources and a small population has nothing to do with Canada's success.
What the article highlighted was that what once was "the American Dream" doesn't exist any more. That dream is now more realistically attainable in Canada.

That doesn't take away that both countries have advantages on different data points, where one is "better" than the other. What is important though is what currently is the entirety of the situation.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:50 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I've seen those shows, and I can't stand the people on them.

They all want these giant 2500sf McMansions with a 3 car garage, master bedrooms the size of a basketball court, two sinks in the master bath, open floor plan, ridiculously big and fancy kitchen they're never going to actually use, no sharing a yard with neighbors, and many other forms of wanton excess.

So yes, no surprise they're going to spend millions. What do you expect?

Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Grass is always greener for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies