Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times

Advertisements

Look people, you're not going to convince most Americans that Canada has a higher standard of living than the United States.

The U.S. has bigger houses, bigger cars, more roads, more places to travel to, more shopping destinations, more restaurants, more hotels, more amusement parks, more consumer goods and choices, more universities, more historic places, and on and on. You can try to cook up some statistics that prove that Canada is richer. However, most people go by what they see in real life.

Canada is a nice country. However, the U.S. has a higher standard of living than Canada just on the face of it.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:10 PM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I guess you missed it...Canada's taxes are lower than yours, especially for the middle and lower income earners.
And yet, far more Canadians emigrate to the USA than USA citizens emigrate to Canada.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:18 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I was told that many Americans were ignorant about Canada....Frozen tundra indeed By the way I'm happy you don't want to live here.

So far this winter we have had only a few days below freezing, no snow at all and some great sunny days.

Jan 5th...Average high 43.9°F Average low 33.1°F
You're in BC. What about the rest of Canada? Is it like that in, for example, Yellowknife, Fort McMurray or Jasper? How's winter in the territory of Nunavut?

I ask because, IOW, you are making generalizations---and you know it, too.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You're in BC. What about the rest of Canada? Is it like that in, for example, Yellowknife, Fort McMurray or Jasper? How's winter in the territory of Nunavut?

I ask because, IOW, you are making generalizations---and you know it, too.
There are 38,000 people in Nunavut, most of them Inuit.

Jasper is a skiers paradise in winter, and a tourist mecca the rest of the year. You should go some time... it puts Yellowstone to shame (except no geysers). Ft. McMurray? It's like any other resource city.

Most Canadians (90%) live within 100 miles of the US border. Trust me, things are not any different than on the south side of the medicine line from a climate perspective. I've been in 44 of the US States, and in most of the Canadian provinces except the Maritimes. Weather wise, and in many cases people wise, you can't tell the difference of 100 miles north of the border or 100 miles south. Except that gun and healthcare thing.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:52 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,814,451 times
Statistics do prove that the standard of living in Canada is better than the US. I have been to Canada many times and it is a clean and prosperous place. The biggest downside to Canada is the climate for those who dislike cold weather. No arguments with any of this. It is also easy to prove that the US is far from being the best country to live in compared to some other first world nations as well. However we are still a very good place to be in, we are one of the most successful nations in the world.

Another point to remember is that America has a huge underclass and minority population that Canada does not. Unless the standard of living for this underclass rises and its education level comes up we will continue to be substantially below Canada in these statistics. We must remember that Canada has no place like Memphis, Detroit, St Louis etc. There are no Canadian ghettos. It is unlikely we can resolve the social problems that are centuries old anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:16 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There are 38,000 people in Nunavut, most of them Inuit.

Jasper is a skiers paradise in winter, and a tourist mecca the rest of the year. You should go some time... it puts Yellowstone to shame (except no geysers). Ft. McMurray? It's like any other resource city.

Most Canadians (90%) live within 100 miles of the US border. Trust me, things are not any different than on the south side of the medicine line from a climate perspective. I've been in 44 of the US States, and in most of the Canadian provinces except the Maritimes. Weather wise, and in many cases people wise, you can't tell the difference of 100 miles north of the border or 100 miles south. Except that gun and healthcare thing.
I know someone in Jasper so I just might go there sometime

I was talking about the weather. Your fellow Canadian was talking about the weather in southern BC as if it was like that everywhere in the Canadian wintertime.

You got off topic there. Once again, we all know that the winter in BC is far different than in those spots I mentioned.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I know someone in Jasper so I just might go there sometime

I was talking about the weather. Your fellow Canadian was talking about the weather in southern BC as if it was like that everywhere in the Canadian wintertime.

You got off topic there. Once again, we all know that the winter in BC is far different than in those spots I mentioned.
And we all know the weather in Montana, Colorado N. Dakota not to mention Alaska just to name a few states is far different than the picture you're trying to paint also.

Since you were critical of "generalizations"; who was it calling Canada a frozen tundra again?

Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 PM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And we all know the weather in Montana, Colorado N. Dakota not to mention Alaska just to name a few states is far different than the picture you're trying to paint also.

Since you were critical of "generalizations"; who was it calling Canada a frozen tundra again?
More people live in California in a dream climate than there are people in Canada...I guess some people like the Canadian climate but it all sux in my opinion. Colorado has a far better climate than anywhere in Canada by the way.

Hint to Canadians - don't allow millions of illegal immigrants unless you wan to become more like the USA

Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
More people live in California in a dream climate than there are people in Canada...I guess some people like the Canadian climate but it all sux in my opinion. Colorado has a far better climate than anywhere in Canada by the way.

Hint to Canadians - don't allow millions of illegal immigrants unless you wan to become more like the USA
New Mexico maybe ....not Colorado....there are places in Canada with a better climate than anywhere
in Colorado....eastern Colorado is high plains .... wild temperature swings.....
central sections pf Colorado are at very high elevation...I prefer where I live in southern
Ontario to that....never mind BC....western Colorado is high desert ....dry dusty ...too hot in
summer...and surprisingly cold in winter....places like Osoyoos in BC are better.
Colorado far better climate to anywhere in Canada.....no.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Grass is always greener for some people.
Canada is not the utopia it gets made out to be at times. First of all it's cold as hell in the winter except for maybe Vancouver, and most likely you can't afford to live in Vancouver because of the avalanche of Chinese that have poured in and bid up the real estate prices to near San Francisco levels.

Canada is also notoriously stingy and strict about who they allow to immigrate. I mean if you're a 3rd world refugee with no skills or money and just want to show up with your hand out you're probably good, or if you're an independently wealthy rocket scientist they might make an exception for you, but if you're a regular schmoe who just wants to move there to live and work you can forget it. Especially if you're American. They don't want a bunch of us flooding up there and wrecking the place, which I have to admit is probably what would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies