Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
CANZUK?

That's not even on the talking points for political junkies, and I've never heard of it. Again, what does whatever that concept is have to do with Canada answering to Britain on ANY issue beyond that both countries are in a treaty arrangement on? You know, like NATO, where they honor Article 5 and step in and assist another country that was attacked. You know, like the only time Article 5 was invoked was by the USA after 9/11, and guess which country was the first to step up and join in Afghanistan? Your buddy up here in the attic, Canada.
Canzuk has been mentioned numerous times, and it involves free trade, increased free movement and closer economic ties, and is nothing to do with Canada or any other country answering to the UK.

I am British, so Canada isn't a buddy up in the attic, it's a close ally with historic ties, and I seem to recall British and Canadian troops fighting side by side on many occasions throughout history, including in Afghanistan. The UK, Canada and the rest of NATO honoured Article 5 after 9/11, indeed NATO AWACS aircraft were sent to the US to help patrol the skies, and alllies offered whatever help the US needed.

Canzuk is may also include closer cooperation in areas such as defence equipment and training but the UK has always firmly supported NATO and helped estalish NATO in the first place.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:22 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This must be the monthly anti-America thread. I bet the world gets a nice laugh out of people living in the richest country on the planet complaining about anything.
Don't be so self assured this will continue. Is there anyone who doubts that China will supplant the USA in the 21st century? The 20th century was Americas's but as in all cases, things change.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Canzuk has been mentioned numerous times, and it involves free trade, increased free movement and closer economic ties, and is nothing to do with Canada or any other country answering to the UK.

I am British, so Canada isn't a buddy up in the attic, it's a close ally with historic ties, and I seem to recall British and Canadian troops fighting side by side on many occasions throughout history, including in Afghanistan.

CANZUK may be a talking point in Britain, but it certainly is not in Canada.

But I agree, historically there are close ties, and most Canadians view the United Kingdom positively. And yes, the Canadian troops have always been there when needed, unlike the USA which entered both World Wars late, although certainly they had a large impact once they finally did join.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:31 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
CANZUK may be a talking point in Britain, but it certainly is not in Canada.

But I agree, historically there are close ties, and most Canadians view the United Kingdom positively. And yes, the Canadian troops have always been there when needed, unlike the USA which entered both World Wars late, although certainly they had a large impact once they finally did join.

CANZUK is basically about the UK buying more Canadian goods, and vice versa, and the same applies to Austrialia and New Zealand. It's nothing more than free trade and possibly easier travel and movement between these countries.

CANZUK-Canada - Wikipedia

Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Don't be so self assured this will continue. Is there anyone who doubts that China will supplant the USA in the 21st century? The 20th century was Americas's but as in all cases, things change.
China has a long way to go before it is anywhere close to the GDP per capita of the United States.

It might never reach there.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
China has a long way to go before it is anywhere close to the GDP per capita of the United States.

It might never reach there.
Hong Kong already exceeds the USA. As does tiny Singapore. It would be foolishness to be so inwardly looking to think that the USA will always be on top. The better strategy is to look at what are those other countries doing that the USA is deficient in.

I would look at two issues. One, is education, and the general decline in the view of the value of education in the USA, and the other one is universal healthcare, which most successful and growing economies have. The issue of education is a primary driver, and it is so sad to see that view on it has deteriorated in the USA. Already, China produces more patents than the USA.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Funny how Americans don't feel the need to write articles illustrating how we are better than Canada. I'm not a psychiatrist but that would indicate to me the presence of an inferiority complex.
I have noticed this, and written previously on the topic. These are excerpts:

Written by me on April 7, 2007:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.

================================================== =============================

Written by me on May 1, 2008:

I am currently reading David McCollough's 1776, about the founding of my country. It reminds me that people had to fight for their rights, initially, as Englishmen and when that became untenable for total independence.

History and circumstances were kinder to those that followed. Great Britain learned, albeit the hard way, that subjugating a free people is an impossible and unsatisfying task. The birth of Canada, Australia and New Zealand as free countries was quieter and far less traumatic. It also did not generate the impetus for unification and national pride.

I feel, as an American that Canada has more than earned the right to the same pride that Americans feel. You earned it at Vimy Ridge. You earned it by joining WW II immediately, much to the shame of my country for abstaining. You earned it at the Canadian embassy in Iran in 1980. You earned it with your help in Miami in 1992 after Hurricane Andrew and in New Orleans in 2005 after Katrina.
You have a great country. Time for a bit brassier pride!!!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
To be honest, no it can't. But that's because it isn't what you just described above - a brutal invader, coercer and extortionist bully that doesn't plan to pay off its debts (and everyone that it bullies knows it). I don't know why you think those are admirable traits. Those aren't the things that make a country great in the eyes of the world.

I was being factious.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
I will say that I have never met an American in real life who had a negative opinion about Canada (minus the weather). Canada is always viewed as the Great White North - an unassuming, pristine kind of place.

I think a lot of Americans view Canada as having better race relations than the U.S. However, that has a lot to do with demographic differences between the 2 countries. So there is that.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I will say that I have never met an American in real life who had a negative opinion about Canada (minus the weather). Canada is always viewed as the Great White North - an unassuming, pristine kind of place.

I think a lot of Americans view Canada as having better race relations than the U.S. However, that has a lot to do with demographic differences between the 2 countries. So there is that.
Could be.

Scroll down to the minority stats for Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies