Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Could be.

Scroll down to the minority stats for Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Canada
It seems Canada has more visible minorities as a total than the US, although they seem much more diverse.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,904,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Btw, the current unemployment rate for the US is 4.6%, for Canada it is 5.6%.
I dunno. I think Trump was the one who said our unemployment numbers are total fiction.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:35 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Funny how Americans don't feel the need to write articles illustrating how we are better than Canada. I'm not a psychiatrist but that would indicate to me the presence of an inferiority complex.

Btw, the current unemployment rate for the US is 4.6%, for Canada it is 5.6%.

https://data.oecd.org/unemp/unemployment-rate.htm

And that's with roughly 10 times the population.
U.S. is 3.7%

Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,396,341 times
Why do we see all those Ontario license plates down here in Florida?

Old 01-07-2019, 04:26 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
They should head to Kapuskasing. Kapuskasing is nice this time of year.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:
Probably visiting their American cousins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMBbCmZP4tY

Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Let me explain it to you -- sun sun sun.....lol.

And treat them kindly -- they are part of the economy in Florida...and Florida NEEDS them.......mwahahaha,.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You really knew the answer to that right? Please tell me you did.

I move to the USA in 1997 -- why? To get away from winter.

Yup --- some of us struggle with winter.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:09 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,990,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The American Dream has moved to Canada

A most interesting article, which the image below does a good job of summarizing. By almost any metric that matters, the thing that has been the psyche of Americans that the "American Dream" was something to aspire to and one that was never ending, it is clear that things have changed.

The erosion has occurred over time, but it seems like in the last 20 years, it has declined in reality of being achieved.
Less earnings, less corporate jobs, less population, SNOW, outrageous cost of living. I'm out. I'm hoping to move to Liberia one day soon, that's a real example of the American Dream.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have noticed this, and written previously on the topic. These are excerpts:

Written by me on April 7, 2007:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.

================================================== =============================

Written by me on May 1, 2008:

I am currently reading David McCollough's 1776, about the founding of my country. It reminds me that people had to fight for their rights, initially, as Englishmen and when that became untenable for total independence.

History and circumstances were kinder to those that followed. Great Britain learned, albeit the hard way, that subjugating a free people is an impossible and unsatisfying task. The birth of Canada, Australia and New Zealand as free countries was quieter and far less traumatic. It also did not generate the impetus for unification and national pride.

I feel, as an American that Canada has more than earned the right to the same pride that Americans feel. You earned it at Vimy Ridge. You earned it by joining WW II immediately, much to the shame of my country for abstaining. You earned it at the Canadian embassy in Iran in 1980. You earned it with your help in Miami in 1992 after Hurricane Andrew and in New Orleans in 2005 after Katrina.
You have a great country. Time for a bit brassier pride!!!
Finding one person that doesn't know some history doesn't reflect on a nation. Canadians have pride --it just isn't as demonstrative and loud.

For me it is like the church where the parishioners yell and jump and down and Amen the preacher compared to a mass where the parishioners answer in unison -- never speak out of turn, etc. The second church parishioners are just as devoted --just not as loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies