Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Enforce E-verify. Leagalize weed and empower the southern border with real tools. They drive old suvs that have over 230miles. Are short staffed, have a lack communication- or updated electronics to do the job. And with the shut down you killing morale as those poor families not getting paid. The wall will not fix the issues - any wall can be breached. Just think - people climb Mt Everest !
the estimated cost of the wall is $25 billion so this is just to get part of it done. obviously you don't just build the wall and say 'oh the the job is done'. I don't think anyone thinks that. The wall is symbolic in rhetoric but the actual solution is much more comprehensive. the problem, as you alluded to, is that the issue of border control has been neglected for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Enforce E-verify. Legalize weed and empower the southern border with real tools. They drive old suvs that have over 230k miles. Are short staffed, have a lack communication- or updated electronics to do the job. And with the shut down you killing morale as those poor families not getting paid. The wall will not fix the issues - any wall can be breached. Just think - people climb Mt Everest !
Nobody buys Mexican weed anymore. But I am totally in favor of legalizing cannabis.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
The democrats will never ever ever go for 1.
I'm a liberal and I'm in favor of both. By ending birthright citizenship, that means from this day (or whatever day) forward, not retroactive. I would not be in favor of revoking anyone's citizenship.

The Fox News lie of "libruls want open borders and more illegal immigration!" is just that: a lie. Most of us DO want to end illegal immigration.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I think that many of them will. This is what compromise is all about. This is how we can move forward.

Personally, I think that the conservatives will never go for giving up on wall funding, even if they can get an end to birthright citizenship.

Seems like we all can agree on improving/enforcing e-Verify, though. So, that's a start.

I definitely lean left. And I'm in support of this compromise.
its not realistic in terms of votes. the democrats will never go for it as that is too important of a voting bloc.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.
I can't get behind it. My proposal is this:

1. More manpower and boots on ground at the border.
2. Give the CBP better technology: cameras, drones, tunnel detection technology.
3. Fix the existing fence at high pressure areas.
4. Finish the original 2006 project which I believe needs less than 50 miles of fencing.
5. Keep birthright citizenship
6. More drug sniffing dogs and more vehicle searching capabilities

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
We all know that illegal immigration is bad for everyone but the Dems are so thick headed about it. It wasn't that long ago the top Dems came out opposed to illegal immigration. I still think they swapped their stance on the problem at the border in defiance of Trump. They just cannot give the man any credit and certainly not a win that his supporters would love and carry to the ballot box in 2020.

Imagine if Trump loses in 2020 and the Dems change their direction back to one that recognizes illegal immigration as a danger to the country and people on both sides on the border.

I say build the wall as and where needed. End birth right citizenship, is there any other country that does that? And stop giving illegal aliens welfare and jobs. End the incentives and they will stop coming BUT ending the benefits will put many of them on the street and no doubt we will see a rise in crime and identity theft.

There is no winning on this issue and if nothing is done, thanks Dems, it is only going to be worse when it does come to a head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm a liberal and I'm in favor of both. By ending birthright citizenship, that means from this day (or whatever day) forward, not retroactive. I would not be in favor of revoking anyone's citizenship.

The Fox News lie of "libruls want open borders and more illegal immigration!" is just that: a lie. Most of us DO want to end illegal immigration.
I'm sure there are many of you that believe as you say. The reality is your leadership in congress do not believe as you say.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I agree with this. Not retroactive.

Quote:
This is the reason I opened this poll. Looking for common ground.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Nobody buys Mexican weed anymore. But I am totally in favor of legalizing cannabis.
What do they do with all that weed them smuggle to the US? Feed it to the goats?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I can't get behind it. My proposal is this:

1. More manpower and boots on ground at the border.
2. Give the CBP better technology: cameras, drones, tunnel detection technology.
3. Fix or enhance the existing fence at high pressure areas.
4. Finish the original 2006 project which I believe needs less than 50 miles of fencing.
5. Keep birthright citizenship
6. More drug sniffing dogs and more vehicle searching capabilities
Interesting that you support birthright citizenship.

Incidentally, I agree with all of your points except that one.

Thanks for voting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies