Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But BR was not really an issue was it? I mean Trump yells about illegal immigrants, and BR citizens are not illegal. When you include BR in this, it starts to sound racist, that you don't want anyone with brown skin to be a citizen of the US.

Besides, times have changed since the 2nd Amendment was written and nobody on the right wants to consider that as an argument for gun control.
BR citizenship is an incentive for people to enter illegally and stay here and have children here. Regardless of color. Including Russians, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Your poll does not have enough options.
No poll is perfect.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Oh you got yours, so screw everyone else that's coming after? Nah.

Your family got a pass on having to jump through any hoops for your citizenship. You don't get to close the door b/c you don't like the idea of other people coming through too.
Do you have any ideas for compromise?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How would the above deter criminals, the drug mules and those from known terrorist countries from coming here? How would it prevent the employers from paying these illegal workers cash?

Better to deter all of the above at the border than to allow them to get into our country where they are much harder to weed out and more expensive to do so. The good walls have proven to work very effectively by high percentages and the Border Patrol need them to help them do their jobs more effectively and to protect them.
So, no compromise?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
There should be a crackdown on the employers of illegals no matter what else is or isn't done.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Do you have any ideas for compromise?
I'm going to pull a page from the pro-gun activists: enforce the laws we already have. We don't need a compromise to start cracking down on loop holes.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times
Independent middle of the road/maybe slightly right leaning voter here. I am not going to vote because my idea on it all isn't listed. I think we should enforce E-Verify and end birthright citizenship first (but only for those here illegally). These things are basically already in place and faster and cheaper to implement than the wall so do them now. Then, if that doesn't work build the wall. But if it does work, don't build the wall.

You could even come up with a deal like that. Put metrics on it. If E-verify and birthright citizenship for illegals results in >a 70% reduction in illegal immigration in one year (or whatever metrics they agree to), a wall is not needed. If it falls short, the funding is automatic and the construction starts.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
There should be a crackdown on the employers of illegals no matter what else is or isn't done.
That's covered in "improve and enforce e-Verify."

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Independent middle of the road/maybe slightly right leaning voter here. I am not going to vote because my idea on it all isn't listed. I think we should enforce E-Verify and end birthright citizenship first (but only for those here illegally). These things are basically already in place and faster and cheaper to implement than the wall so do them now. Then, if that doesn't work build the wall. But if it does work, don't build the wall.

You could even come up with a deal like that. Put metrics on it. If E-verify and birthright citizenship for illegals results in >a 70% reduction in illegal immigration in one year (or whatever metrics they agree to), a wall is not needed. If it falls short, the funding is automatic and the construction starts.
I'm just talking about how to compromise and get past this impasse. Present tense. This doesn't address what to do if it doesn't work.

Thanks for your post.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 AM

312 posts, read 268,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But BR was not really an issue was it? I mean Trump yells about illegal immigrants, and BR citizens are not illegal. When you include BR in this, it starts to sound racist, that you don't want anyone with brown skin to be a citizen of the US.

Besides, times have changed since the 2nd Amendment was written and nobody on the right wants to consider that as an argument for gun control.
This has nothing to do with someone's skin color. STOP MAKING IMMIGRATION ABOUT RACE! This is about people who enter the country illegally and have a child here. That child is automatically given citizenship, so we are not going to deport a legal citizen with their mother back to wherever they came from.

We want more immigrants. But we want them to come here legally. Why is that so hard for democrats to understand? We are not anti-immigrant, we a anti-ILLEGAL immigrant.

And Democrats please stop with the myth that they are all asylum seekers. To establish eligibility for asylum or refugee status, you must prove you are either the victim of past persecution or you have a well-founded fear of future persecution. In the case of past persecution, you must prove that you were persecuted in your home country or last country of residence.

The persecution must have been based on at least one of five grounds, either your:
race
religion
nationality
political opinion, or
membership in a particular social group.

Fleeing violence or poverty does not make you eligible for asylum. Most, if not all, of these asylum seekers are economic migrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies