Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
$5 billion for the wall is 0.11% of the federal budget. We already have the money. It’s just a matter of Democrats’ unwillingness to stop pandering to anchor babies and importing future voters.
So what was preventing bringing it up for vote in the last 24 months, other than he couldn't even get enough support from his own party to get it passed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many times do I have to post the links proving that the good walls do work including those from the Border Patrol and Homeland Security. Do you know better than them? They work and that's why you don't want them. Your posts are kind of a give-away.

As for cities having to enforce immigration laws no one is asking them to. Once they know they have an illegal alien in custody all they have to do is call ICE. What's your problem with that?
Your links don't prove anything. They are nothing more than opinion pieces by various right wing Trump supporters with no evidence to back them up. I have no idea why you keep promoting things which any rational person can see right through in order to bolster whatever point it is you're trying to make. We're not buying it.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:45 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I fully support common sense ideas like this. It won't cost nearly as much as a wall and will be ten times more effective. And yes, as avidly an anti-Trumpist as I am, I would still support it even if it was him that proposed it. But I'm not holding my breath waiting on him to come to his senses.

Another one who hasn't read the links I have provided proving that the good walls are very effective including links from those on the front lines. Either that or it doesn't fit your agenda and just ignored them anyway. I have also made a cost comparison of the wall vs the costs of illegal immigration. Guess that was just ignored to?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
There has never been a case where the SCOTUS ruled on the birthright citizenship of babies born from illegal aliens. It's merely been by PC policy that has deemed them so. The Constitution and wording of the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted for far too long now. This needs to be brought before the SCOTUS to rule on once and for all on this issue based on the actual wording and intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment and that would end birthright citizenship for children born from illegal alien parents once and for all. No new Amendment is necessary.
When the drafters of the 14th Amendment wrote "all persons born . . . within the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" they were pretty darn clear that they meant anyone subject to civil and criminal prosecution under the US laws in US courts. At the time, they expressly discussed that everyone born in the US except those born of Native Americans who could not be sued because they lived in territories beyond the jurisdiction of US courts and the progeny of diplomats who had diplomatic immunity would have birthright citizenship. Everyone.

Unless you can explain how someone born in the US of illegal immigrants is somehow less subject to the jurisdiction of the United States and its courts than legal immigrants or citizens, there is really nothing for SCOTUS to rule on because it is pretty cut and dried.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Your links don't prove anything. They are nothing more than opinion pieces by various right wing Trump supporters with no evidence to back them up. I have no idea why you keep promoting things which any rational person can see right through in order to bolster whatever point it is you're trying to make. We're not buying it.

Wrong! The links I have provided are actual proof and evidence that the good walls work they aren't opinion pieces! So you know more than the Border Patrol and Homeland Security. Get outta here! Rational people don't deny the truth when it's provided to them. There is nothing to buy those are the facts!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No, no we can't.

Can I do my conservative whataboutism now? He's the one who's calling elected officials Pocahontas, and his peers Little Marco, etc. etc. Can I point out the threads where it's Obummer, or Barry, or whatever for he last eight years for Obama? We won't even start on Hillary. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Well, I don't resort to childish insults or attacks on any president's looks. I don't drop to their level. You might want to try it some time. I may not agree with their policies but that's no reason to act like a juvenile about it.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.
Why would you not want a border wall? Unless you want a porous border. There is literally no other reason. And, no, I don't believe the cost arguments. If you want a porous border, then you are advocating for an allowance for lawbreakers who have a myriad of negative effects here and, birthright babies or not, will always move to bulk up liberal voting numbers over time by any number of ways. So, no. Your improve and enforce e-verify suggestion has zero teeth. None. It should be improved and enforced now. That it is not tells us all that we need to know about the sincerity of that suggestion. We won't take any "compromise" that can be easily reneged on in the future.

This isn't really a debate nor are we looking for compromise. The president ran on essentially one issue: the Wall. The national debate was had in the election. Debate over.

How about this: we will eventually see a border wall, the end of birthright citizenship, and perhaps other measures given progressive demonstrated will to undermine this nation's border security and civic trust (by showing the will to underwrite the importation of illegals that eventually become large liberal voting blocks).

That's how we negotiate for things that we should already have.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Well, I don't resort to childish insults or attacks on any president's looks. I don't drop to their level. You might want to try it some time. I may not agree with their policies but that's no reason to act like a juvenile about it.
We'll agree to disagree.

If a public figure decides to fashion their look after a processed crunchy orange snack, and then brag about their hand size (or lack thereof) it falls into fair comment territory. Besides, what I really think just winds up as a series of **** when I post them, so this is more socially acceptable. I draw the line at insulting other posters here. Regardless of their argument, I try to grant them the respect to say what they will. Cheers.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Why would you not want a border wall? Unless you want a porous border. There is literally no other reason. And, no, I don't believe the cost arguments. If you want a porous border, then you are advocating for an allowance for lawbreakers who have a myriad of negative effects here and, birthright babies or not, will always move to bulk up liberal voting numbers over time by any number of ways. So, no. Your improve and enforce e-verify suggestion has zero teeth. None. It should be improved and enforced now. That it is not tells us all that we need to know about the sincerity of that suggestion. We won't take any "compromise" that can be easily reneged on in the future.

This isn't really a debate nor are we looking for compromise. The president ran on essentially one issue: the Wall. The national debate was had in the election. Debate over.

How about this: we will eventually see a border wall, the end of birthright citizenship, and perhaps other measures given progressive demonstrated will to undermine this nation's border security and civic trust (by showing the will to underwrite the importation of illegals that eventually become large liberal voting blocks).

That's how we negotiate for things that we should already have.
Healthcare is more important to the American people. And he failed on that. I wonder why he didn't shut the gov't down over that?

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you on this, Oldglory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies