Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But liberals truly want no e-verify, no border wall, amncesty for DACA AND continued birthright citizenship and chain migration.
Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
But trump promised Mexico would pay for the wall.....Could this be another of Trumps lies?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:21 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
My Grandparents emigrated as teenagers (NOT rushing a border with rocks and fire bombs) through Ellis Island.
Their families had to be evaluated Medically, they had to have a Sponsor and a Job and they had to prove they had MONEY to live on for 3 months. THEN, they studied and became American Citizens.
They never were on the Public Dole ....

My Mother was actually born after her parents married and became Citizens, but even if that were not the case ...... MY ancestors and most others followed United States LAW when they Emigrated.

Bottom Line for me has always been -- Follow the LAW
I will never understand Democrats and Leftists putting illegal border jumpers above United States Citizens and Taxpayers. I will never understand (or support) anyone who openly advocates breaking US Law. I would certainly never vote for them OR their Party.
My Paternal Great-Grandparents came here in 1886. Castle Gardens, not Ellis Island. In fact Great-Grandma was 3 months pregnant with my Grandpa on the ship. They were not stowaways. However, they were the RIGHT KIND of immigrants. Educated and from England. Spoke the QUEENS (not 'Murican) ENGLISH! Required to have a Job before coming here? Great-Grandpa was a Tax Collector in England. Think he would have a hard time finding a job in the USA speaking the language and being educated? He probably had more of an education than the majority of US Citizens at the time. All he had to learn was the US Monetary system. He got a job as a Trolley Car Ticket Taker. NEVER BECAME A US CITIZEN. In fact growing up I can remember "Anchor Baby" Grandpa referring to the US as "The Colonies".

Did they break the law? No, because the law FAVORED these kinds of immigrants then, and NOW. Our former neighbor in Florida was a British Citizen (3 month on and off Visas), who wanted to retire to the US as a "Permanent Resident" after his son took over his business in London. He flat out told us that he would never renounce his British Citizenship to become a US Citizen.

Hate to break this to ya, there are a lot of immigrants here who do not want to be become citizens. You will have to deport almost all of them with some of your view.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:22 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How are cities equipped to enforce immigration law?
Equipped and funded...

Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There has never been a case where the SCOTUS ruled on the birthright citizenship of babies born from illegal aliens. It's merely been by PC policy that has deemed them so. The Constitution and wording of the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted for far too long now. This needs to be brought before the SCOTUS to rule on once and for all on this issue based on the actual wording and intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment and that would end birthright citizenship for children born from illegal alien parents once and for all. No new Amendment is necessary.
You realize that previous SCOTUS decision become part of the law in our legal system, yes?

I don't think you're going to get SCOTUS to rule on illegal immigrants specifically, but I could be wrong.

Besides the OP didn't say "end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants", it said "end birthright citizenship", full stop.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
The wall is still needed to stop or slow down down the steady flow of illegals into our country so we can focus resources on deporting or processing to remain if situation warrants it. We can’t keep having thousands of people trekking into our country a month and getting freebies.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There has never been a case where the SCOTUS ruled on the birthright citizenship of babies born from illegal aliens. It's merely been by PC policy that has deemed them so. The Constitution and wording of the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted for far too long now. This needs to be brought before the SCOTUS to rule on once and for all on this issue based on the actual wording and intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment and that would end birthright citizenship for children born from illegal alien parents once and for all. No new Amendment is necessary.
So, wait.....other important national policies (slavery, women's suffrage, voting rights, civil rights, etc.) have taken HUNDREDS of years to slowly work their way through the courts, government and society....

BUT, you think they need to do something soon and "once and for all"?

That's not a real world opinion. It is simply NOT the way our government and system works. Government moves slowly for very good reason.

I hope you are not counting on the end of birthright citizenship...because it's not going to happen.

However, I think reasonable people (liberals like myself and many others) would agree that it needs to be better defined. The idea that RUSSIANS are paying to stay in Trump properties in Florida while they drop their babies is outrageous. This is a perfect formula for Putin inserting his people direct into the heart of our society and country.

Countries under heavy sanctions should have all such "rights" taken from them.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
The wall is still needed to stop or slow down down the steady flow of illegals into our country so we can focus resources on deporting or processing to remain if situation warrants it. We can’t keep having thousands of people trekking into our country a month and getting freebies.
So you think that doing 1/2 of the wall within 15 years is going to allow them to focus? Given normal delays, courts and changes in politics it could be many decades before even 500 or 700 miles are built. You really think the other 1,000 miles and immigration by boats, planes, trains, cars, trucks, bikes, walking (border crossings), tunnels and ladders aren't going to continue to happen?

At many times in my life I've been a dreamer but even I never thought things like this could be done with a wave of the hand or for a few billion dollars.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.
Absolutely.

Remove incentives- employment.

No issue with investing in eVerify, including biometrics.

No issue with a Federal Mandate to verify all employees and contractors. Sounds simple till you realize only a handful of states mandate eVerify and those that do have intentional loopholes. Why is this? What’s up with Texas and Florida?

No issue with jaw dropping consequences for employers who cheat.

Create a one time window of opportunity for people to voluntarily self deport. Provide complimentary transportation home. Give each self deportee $ to start over. Would be far more time and cost efficient than the due process/ court thing.

Enable those who choose to self deport to be eligible to apply for legal immigration at a future point in time.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
We all know that illegal immigration is bad for everyone but the Dems are so thick headed about it. It wasn't that long ago the top Dems came out opposed to illegal immigration. I still think they swapped their stance on the problem at the border in defiance of Trump. They just cannot give the man any credit and certainly not a win that his supporters would love and carry to the ballot box in 2020.

Imagine if Trump loses in 2020 and the Dems change their direction back to one that recognizes illegal immigration as a danger to the country and people on both sides on the border.

I say build the wall as and where needed. End birth right citizenship, is there any other country that does that? And stop giving illegal aliens welfare and jobs. End the incentives and they will stop coming BUT ending the benefits will put many of them on the street and no doubt we will see a rise in crime and identity theft.

There is no winning on this issue and if nothing is done, thanks Dems, it is only going to be worse when it does come to a head.
35 years of partisan blame throwing has enabled Congress Critters to do nothing. Has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

Way too many financially benefit off the backs of undocumented labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies