Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I can't get behind it. My proposal is this:

1. More manpower and boots on ground at the border.
2. Give the CBP better technology: cameras, drones, tunnel detection technology.
3. Fix the existing fence at high pressure areas.
4. Finish the original 2006 project which I believe needs less than 50 miles of fencing.
5. Keep birthright citizenship
6. More drug sniffing dogs and more vehicle searching capabilities

1. I'm ok with that.
2. We tried that a few years ago and it didn't work so we scrapped it. Good walls work better.
3. Agreed.
4. There is a lot more than 50 miles that need the good walls/fences/barriers as promised back in 2006.
5. Absolutely not! Birthright citizenship and jobs are what brings most illegals here.
6. I'm ok with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Just build the freaking wall. Who is it going to harm?

I support the other two ideas too, but I don't get the resistance against the wall.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
We live in a different world now.

It's simply a compromise that I am willing to make, so that we can move forward.

Note how the one you are replying to compares legal immigrants who have had children born on our soil to illegal aliens that do? That is no way is the same thing, duh. Our constitution grants birthright citizenship to kids born of legal residents but not illegal aliens. The Europeans came here legally, not illegally.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Note how the one you are replying to compares legal immigrants who have had children born on our soil to illegal aliens that do? That is no way is the same thing, duh. Our constitution grants birthright citizenship to kids born of legal residents but not illegal aliens. The Europeans came here legally, not illegally.
Actually, our Constitution makes no distinction between legal and illegal aliens when it comes to birthright citizenship. The only persons that do not have a Constitutional right to birthright citizenship are the children of Native Americans who live in areas that are beyond the reach of Federal jurisdiction and those here on ambassadorial missions. So, for 14th Amendment purposes, the progeny of legal and illegal immigrants are the same.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM

59,101 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.

I didn't reply to your post because there is NOT enougg choces.

What is wrong with ALL the things you state?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
None of the above.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,218,912 times
None of above.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,104,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I'm a liberal and I'm in favor of both. By ending birthright citizenship, that means from this day (or whatever day) forward, not retroactive. I would not be in favor of revoking anyone's citizenship.

The Fox News lie of "libruls want open borders and more illegal immigration!" is just that: a lie. Most of us DO want to end illegal immigration.
I agree with this. Liberals don't want an open boarder, as is often charged. (I think there are a few who want this, but not most of us.) But we do need immigration reform, and a sensible, workable, well thought out immigration policy, something many administrations have failed to deliver on.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But BR was not really an issue was it? I mean Trump yells about illegal immigrants, and BR citizens are not illegal. When you include BR in this, it starts to sound racist, that you don't want anyone with brown skin to be a citizen of the US.

Besides, times have changed since the 2nd Amendment was written and nobody on the right wants to consider that as an argument for gun control.

Deeming children born from illegal aliens is an issue. It's makes a mockery of our constitution and encourages illegal aliens to come here and give birth at the taxpayer expense and the ensuing benefits they get through them. How in the world is that racist? Immigrants here legally can give birth to a U.S. citizen according to our constitution.

WTH are you talking about there are many legal immigrants of brown skin so stick your race card where the sun don't shine!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Do you have any ideas for compromise?

He has none. He's obviously an illegal alien sympathizer. We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year so who's closing the door? What a loon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies