Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
1. is in the Constitution. There is a high bar for amending the Constitution, so I don't see that happening.
2. would be a good start

I generally support the democrats but think they should compromise and give Trump a smaller sum, say $1.5B, to start on a wall or fence. It's not much money, so what's the harm?
That was the offer that was agreed upon by both houses, and about to be signed until Cheeto vonTinyhands was bullied by Fox and Ann Coulter and has now decided that this is going to be his hill to die upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM

193 posts, read 69,089 times
No, the "compromises" you list do absolutely nothing to keep illegals from flooding through the border this only catches some of those already here, what about the ones that continuously pour in?/ If liberals don't want to do anything at the border how are we supposed to stop that issue?? That's like putting everyone in a boat with a huge hole in the bottom and giving them buckets but refusing to repair the hole, they can keep pouring water from the boat and may keep it from sinking but this isn't fixing the underlying problem.

Last edited by sixlets82; 01-09-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
BR citizenship is an incentive for people to enter illegally and stay here and have children here. Regardless of color. Including Russians, for example.

anyone who supports the idea of popping a baby out and living here as a citizen and letting their whole amigo family in is crooked in the head. its abuse and we need to break it .

Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
My proposal:

1. End birthright citizenship
2. Improve and enforce e-Verify

No funding for the border wall.

This is a compromise that I think most can get behind.

I'd love to see #1, and #2 happen. Along with the wall. I don't care what we are being told a wall will be effective. A real wall though, not something that can easily be scaled or broken thru.

How about two fences 100ft apart with a mine field separating them ?

https://inhomelandsecurity.com/usa-m...reign-concept/

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...ht-of-illegals

https://www.wnd.com/2018/12/former-i...r-border-wall/

Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Add in the elimination of Sanctuary City policies and we're getting closer.
How are cities equipped to enforce immigration law?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Birthright citizenship applies to children of folks who are in this country legally, too. You understand that, correct?
Works for me. That could be implemented today.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

One thing the feds could do today to get the Border Patrol employee numbers where they should be is stop transferring them and making them pay for their own move.

As i understand it, the CBP is short 2000 workers, and nobody will apply for the open jobs.

All tis gnashing of teeth about a wall when simply getting enough employees would help. Another problem is the response time for remote places. A wall does not help when it takes hours or days to arrive at where people are entering.

Years ago, before satellites monitored forest fires, employees stayed at the site of their shift for 4 days on, 3 day off or whatever.
Put some of those FEMA trailers every mile or two on the border, cheaper than a wall.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
1. is in the Constitution. There is a high bar for amending the Constitution, so I don't see that happening.
2. would be a good start

I generally support the democrats but think they should compromise and give Trump a smaller sum, say $1.5B, to start on a wall or fence. It's not much money, so what's the harm?
I had to read your post twice since the first time your number looked like $1.58 (one dollar fifty eight cents). Then I saw that it was $1.5 billion. I like $1.58 better. Maybe round it up to an even 2 bucks.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM

14,223 posts, read 4,589,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
One thing the feds could do today to get the Border Patrol employee numbers where they should be is stop transferring them and making them pay for their own move.

As i understand it, the CBP is short 2000 workers, and nobody will apply for the open jobs.

All tis gnashing of teeth about a wall when simply getting enough employees would help. Another problem is the response time for remote places. A wall does not help when it takes hours or days to arrive at where people are entering.

Years ago, before satellites monitored forest fires, employees stayed at the site of their shift for 4 days on, 3 day off or whatever.
Put some of those FEMA trailers every mile or two on the border, cheaper than a wall.
That's false. Government will pay your relocation expenses if they voluntold to transfer you from one port/station to another port/station.

CBP is short a lot of officers due to a lot of factors 1) booming economy, 2) Ferguson's effect/negative view in law enforcement as a career, 3) CBP has the hardest polygraph in all of federal law enforcement, 3) not a lot of people want to live in small border towns, 4) CBP has 40,000+ officers and agents (that's 2000 more than NYPD)

Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
I do think ending automatic birth right citizenship would be good thing. You shouldn't be able to be here as a visitor, have a baby and then that child claim citizenship. There should be a clause that says for babies born to illegal residents they do not automatically become citizens.

I don't think the southern border is the biggest problem for that. There is a whole industry that is set up to support other travelers for arriving in the USA legally and taking advantage of that benefit.

I'm all in on this e-verify thing.

I'm all in on working on the visa system to track those that overstay. That problem will not be fixed with a wall.

I'm all in deporting criminals as they are caught. They don't need to serve time in our jails -- send them back.

Lots of things can be done to reduce illegal residents, clear up the existing number of illegal residents, including DACA.....the wall is an expensive last resort that will only work if all the other stuff is in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies