Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In lieu of the border wall, would you be satisfied with ending birthright citizenship and improving/
Yes I would be satisfied with this compromise. 38 44.19%
No, we need the wall in addition to ending birthright citizenship and enforcing e-Verify. 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:27 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Independent middle of the road/maybe slightly right leaning voter here. I am not going to vote because my idea on it all isn't listed. I think we should enforce E-Verify and end birthright citizenship first (but only for those here illegally). These things are basically already in place and faster and cheaper to implement than the wall so do them now. Then, if that doesn't work build the wall. But if it does work, don't build the wall.

You could even come up with a deal like that. Put metrics on it. If E-verify and birthright citizenship for illegals results in >a 70% reduction in illegal immigration in one year (or whatever metrics they agree to), a wall is not needed. If it falls short, the funding is automatic and the construction starts.

Wrong, there are plenty of illegals entering our country that aren't looking for jobs or birthright citizenship for their kids, thus the wall. Certainly criminals, the drug runners or those from known terrorist countries aren't looking for any of the above. Better to deter as much illegal immigration at the border no matter what their reason for coming here.

However, I am just as strongly adamant about implementing e-verify, punishing the employers and ending this PC only policy of deeming the children of illegal aliens born on our soil as birthright citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I like that idea, as well. Not sure of any legal implications given the historical SCOTUS rulings on the matter, however.

There has never been a case where the SCOTUS ruled on the birthright citizenship of babies born from illegal aliens. It's merely been by PC policy that has deemed them so. The Constitution and wording of the 14th Amendment has been misinterpreted for far too long now. This needs to be brought before the SCOTUS to rule on once and for all on this issue based on the actual wording and intent of the writers of the 14th Amendment and that would end birthright citizenship for children born from illegal alien parents once and for all. No new Amendment is necessary.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
I fully support common sense ideas like this. It won't cost nearly as much as a wall and will be ten times more effective. And yes, as avidly an anti-Trumpist as I am, I would still support it even if it was him that proposed it. But I'm not holding my breath waiting on him to come to his senses.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think enforcement of e-verify, along with comprehensive immigration reform, a modified points system, like most of the western world and the end to chain migration resolves a great deal of the problems without a Constitutional amendment regarding birthright citizenship.

You want to cross, fine, come in, six month visa, registered immediately, on the books, follow up in six months. If you're not gainfully, legally employed, bye. If you are, here's the hoops you have to go through to get further status/green card. Maintain employment, no social assistance, no criminal record for x years, then move on from there.

I think greater effort and resources needs to be taken to secure the border, but building a wall for billions of dollars that can be defeated by the advanced technology of a ladder or shovel is not it.

If you provide a clear path to citizenship/status, reduce wait times, and declutter what is a really nebulous, slow process, you solve situations like sanctuary cities by default. Sanctuary cities exist so that local law enforcement can effectively work in their own jurisdiction. If you have a segment of the population that won't go to the police when they're robbed, extorted, or physically sexually harmed because the fear for their status, that has a huge impact on the city at large.

A few errors in your post. First off we don't need all these poor, unskilled and uneducated coming here looking for jobs and working for less than Americans. There is no new Amendment needed to correct the birthright citizenship fiasco. The 14th Amendment's intent and wording does not allow for birthright citizenship of children of illegal aliens. It's merely been a PC policy that has deemed them so for far too long. It needs to go to the Supreme Court for clarification.

No, the good walls are not being defeated with ladders or tunnels. I have posted many links proving it and they have been very effective. The last one who tried to scale one of the good walls broke both legs trying. It is the flimsy fences that are being successfully climbed over or tunneled under. They need to be replaced with the good barriers and that is what Trump is trying to do.

It will cost $25 billion to complete the wall but illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion year. So spending the money for the wall is well worth it.

No more amnesties and no path to citizenship for those who violated our immigration laws. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. They need to return to their homelands and apply to come back legally no jumping ahead of the line.

No sanctuary cities for illegals assuming that they'll rat on other criminals. There are more of their criminal kind in our cities than American criminals. If nothing else they are all guilty of the crime of felony ID theft and/or tax evasion.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Birthright citizenship applies to children of folks who are in this country legally, too. You understand that, correct?
Of course I do ..... Have ever heard of Ellis Island and know what it was used for??
HINT ..... the folks there did NOT throw Rocks/Firebombs or crash through/over/under Fences.

LAW and Order was followed - while I disagree with Birthright Citizenship (which no Nation in the World allows except the USA) - it's Legal and at least based on a Law. Congress can FIX that, as it was never intended that an illegal alien could sneak into our Country to have a baby and then go on the public dole to be supported by Taxpayers.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That was the offer that was agreed upon by both houses, and about to be signed until Cheeto vonTinyhands was bullied by Fox and Ann Coulter and has now decided that this is going to be his hill to die upon.

Can't you lefties debate without the juvenile descriptions of Trump? It's utter nonsense that Trump wouldn't make such an important decision on his own to. You guys have been making that crap up about Fox and Coulter just to demonize him. If they offered their input that doesn't mean he that's what he based his decision on and you have no proof of your claims whatsoever. I suggest your side grow up.

By the way, regardless of what was agreed upon by congress it was well short of what Trump was requesting.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
One thing the feds could do today to get the Border Patrol employee numbers where they should be is stop transferring them and making them pay for their own move.

As i understand it, the CBP is short 2000 workers, and nobody will apply for the open jobs.

All tis gnashing of teeth about a wall when simply getting enough employees would help. Another problem is the response time for remote places. A wall does not help when it takes hours or days to arrive at where people are entering.

Years ago, before satellites monitored forest fires, employees stayed at the site of their shift for 4 days on, 3 day off or whatever.
Put some of those FEMA trailers every mile or two on the border, cheaper than a wall.

How many times do I have to post the links proving that the good walls do work including those from the Border Patrol and Homeland Security. Do you know better than them? They work and that's why you don't want them. Your posts are kind of a give-away.

As for cities having to enforce immigration laws no one is asking them to. Once they know they have an illegal alien in custody all they have to do is call ICE. What's your problem with that?

Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, definitely to improving and enforcing e-verify. That's what would make a real difference.

No on ending birthright citizenship. It quickly leads to creating to classes of people who are given different rights than others. And those classes will become heavily racial. That's maybe what we used to do or what was done in places like South Africa, but this is not who we are.

Most countries do not allow for birthright citizenship for children born to illegal aliens on their soil. How do you think they handle it? The child becomes a citizen of their parent's homeland. Racial? WTH does that even mean? Who we are is a nation of laws and our Constitution via the 14th Amendment never intended this to happen anyway and it needs to be clarified by the Supreme Court ASAP!

Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Can't you lefties debate without the juvenile descriptions of Trump? It's utter nonsense that Trump wouldn't make such an important decision on his own to. You guys have been making that crap up about Fox and Coulter just to demonize him. If they offered their input that doesn't mean he that's what he based his decision on and you have no proof of your claims whatsoever. I suggest your side grow up.

By the way, regardless of what was agreed upon by congress it was well short of what Trump was requesting.
No, no we can't.

Can I do my conservative whataboutism now? He's the one who's calling elected officials Pocahontas, and his peers Little Marco, etc. etc. Can I point out the threads where it's Obummer, or Barry, or whatever for he last eight years for Obama? We won't even start on Hillary. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
$5 billion for the wall is 0.11% of the federal budget. We already have the money. It’s just a matter of Democrats’ unwillingness to stop pandering to anchor babies and importing future voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies