Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 AM

51,658 posts, read 25,887,267 times

Advertisements

For the record, I'm married to a pilot who is 100% in favor of aviation safety inspectors.

They provide the pushback to airlines wanting to cut corners with safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 AM

24,546 posts, read 17,297,674 times
Why do you think it would be a Conservatives Dream to have no Government OP ?

Conservatives want a Gov. that works and respects the Constitution.

The last time I heard anything about taking down the Government it was Obama telling us that he was going to Fundamentally change it.

The way I see we have a problem at the border that most Reps and Dems once agreed on but no one dared to take the problem on. We now have a President that wants to do something about the problem and the Democrats are kicking and screaming. The Democrats are the ones that are playing with people's lives. We need a wall and other deterrents to stop illegal immigration and contraband.

We all know we have a problem but the Dems just can't bring themselves to agree with Trump.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 AM

1,705 posts, read 539,826 times
Do you as a Conservative belive its allowed to change the constitution.

You know.. by amendments?

Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,338,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If a federal employee has sworn an oath as a condition of employment (and nearly all have), they can't walk off the job, regardless of the reason. They'll be fired and replaced, exactly what happened under the Reagan Admin. They can always self-select for their own unemployment if that's what they really want.

Correct! If Federal employees strike, they will be terminated!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I agree. Government employees who still have to work should be getting paid in a timely manner as usual, or not be working at all. The essential ones of course. There should be a short term funding bill that at least pays them till everything's resolved. This is America and when you show up to work, even if you work for the evil federal gubbmint, you're supposed to get paid.

The furloughed ones sitting at home, I don't feel quite as bad for, at least they are getting a "vacation", albeit a stressful one.
Another inductee in the people who do not know what a government shutdown means club. In fact we have a heartless member at that. I'm damn sick and tired of reading "Oh furloughed federal workers are getting a ' vacation.'" Just stop with that everyone, you know not what you speak. They didn't ask for this, especially a shutdown extending into four weeks with a President who said he will not sign a bill without the wall and a Senate President who will not allow a floor vote for a bill he previously passed with nearly unanimous support.

Those non-excepted employees is a frivolous term. As I've said many times, my mother was a government inspector for radar systems and bulletproof vests going to our military. This is an essential job. What happens though is during a shutdown is they can't run during the shutdown. They run skeleton crews of three people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They just passed a bill promising them back-pay... so now they can go back to work. Trump still needs to sign it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/11/bill...-to-trump.html
Trump said he wouldn't sign it. He mocked John Carle for asking that after that infamous Wednesday meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They will be paid, albeit late.

They are always free to quit.
Yes but at adverse impact. I rather just find another job first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If either party cared about this -- they would pass legislation that would ensure that those employees that have to work, get paid during these shutdowns.

This is so sad.

By the time the shutdown happened most families would have spent money for their Christmas holidays. I haven't lived paycheck to paycheck for a long time, but even when we were just a wee bit closer in our budget.....the juggling in January of some major bills and the pay checks coming in was always a little trickier than the rest of the year. It just doesn't seem right that most of us sitting here having the luxury of debating all of this while they wake up this morning trying to figure out how to handle the finances.
You are totally right and it is sickening how people are heartless. They claim that they asked for this, should have planned, this comes with the territory, furloughed federal workers are getting a vacation, etc. It makes me sick as someone who until 8 years ago was in a family with a federal worker, my mother.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:05 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,097,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They will be paid, albeit late.

They are always free to quit.
So how do you propose they pay their bills TODAY?

Who cares if they can't, right? You certainly don't.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 AM

1,991 posts, read 903,033 times
NATCA, which is the union representing ATC and other closely affiliated groups has filed a lawsuit demanding that they be paid for their work in a timely manner. Be glad they went this route instead of the alternative which is “Work to Rule Book”.
Work to Rule Book means that as controllers work their traffic, they would work as the rule book states (Which they always do) without applying the hard earned skills to expedite the traffic. If that happened there would be gridlock at our nation’s airports.

Fortunately, NATCA chose to arbitrate in a court of law taking the burden of the shutdown on themselves and not passing on their grievance to the nation’s flying public.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
NATCA, which is the union representing ATC and other closely affiliated groups has filed a lawsuit demanding that they be paid for their work in a timely manner. Be glad they went this route instead of the alternative which is “Work to Rule Book”.
Work to Rule Book means that as controllers work their traffic, they would work as the rule book states (Which they always do) without applying the hard earned skills to expedite the traffic. If that happened there would be gridlock at our nation’s airports.

Fortunately, NATCA chose to arbitrate in a court of law taking the burden of the shutdown on themselves and not passing on their grievance to the nation’s flying public.
That is because Reagan fired ATC who didn't return to work in five days. Conservatives and libertarians already want it to be privatized, this gives them the opportunity to do so.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM

10,249 posts, read 15,959,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It is abundantly clear at this point that Washington legislators do not respect Fed workers. Conservatives not respecting them we already know of. But the political machine in DC - either side of the aisle - is clearly happy to routinely use Fed employees' livelihoods as bargaining chips as they spar over their agendas.

If I were these guys, I'd be walking out and organizing a strike. I know, it sounds like a wet dream for a conservative. No government! Take it down to zero employees! Well, let's test that. Let's have a true government shutdown, if that's what we want. Right now, we shut down the part about their paychecks but still expect them to provide the service.

No air traffic control. No airport security. Take it down to zero. Watch air travel grind to a halt.

Coast guard, FDA food inspections, drug approvals, homeland security...same thing. Bring it all to a halt.

Do that a few times when politicians get frisky and maybe the *******s in Washington will get the message that screwing around with people's livelihoods who are actually doing an important service to our society is not acceptable.

Politicians can spar over walls and whatever the hell else, but they shouldn't be able to hold peoples' ability to pay for their kid's school and for the roof over their head as hostage for leverage.
I don't know why air traffic controllers can't work directly for the airport authority anyway, why they need to be federal employees. They should just have to be certified nationally. And yes private security made a mistake on 9-11 but that doesn't mean TSA can't be privatized.

And despite liberal whining I honestly don't have a problem with privately owned prisons either. A private company also provides most ambulance services in my area and mail is often delivered by private contractors, and school bus drivers are contracted out to a local business, and things aren't any different than anywhere else.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Im all for letting them walk off so long as all their duties and job classifications will be privatized on a permanent basis. And don't stop there,fully privatize the entire airline industry. Maybe then we can treated like valued customers instead of cattle and the idiotic arguments between political teams will no longer impact the travel of private citizens.
So if we privatize it, it becomes free?

Or do we waste billions like we did in Iraq while fattening the wallets of Halliburton, black water, and KBR?

It gets paid for either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies